DT Nathan Shepherd restructures (3 Viewers)

That's what I was thinking. The big cap increase this year may allow them to avoid structuring Cam, Ram, and maybe Demario unless they do need it later on for a big free agent deal. If they don't have to restructure those deals, they can avoid a lot of dead money at the end of those contracts or when they retire.

Are we even able to achieve mathematical compliance (with rookie pool and “reasonable FA money” to spend) without touching at least two of those contracts though?

Last edited:
Are we even able to achieve mathematical compliance without touching at least two of those contracts though?
Barely, but you have to restructure almost everyone else. Went from top to bottom and got there with only Saunders and Moreau left to restructure. Do their contracts and you end up with $5m or so in space.

A new deal for Peat could also clear space since he has a $13.6m cap hit from his contract voiding.

Are we even able to achieve mathematical compliance (with rookie pool and “reasonable FA money” to spend) without touching at least two of those contracts though?

I honestly don't know how many they can afford not to restructure and still be cap compliant with money for the rookie pool and reasonable free agents. But, I would think they at least have $13 million or so given that they were going to be able to get cap compliant before the $13 million increase. But, I don't know all the exact numbers.

Mostly I'm just saying that if you can get cap compliant without touching the Cam, Ram, and Demario deals it makes sense to do so. That allows flexibility to to restructure those deals later if you need the money for free agents or avoid the dead money later if you don't need the money for free agents.

Barely, but you have to restructure almost everyone else. Went from top to bottom and got there with only Saunders and Moreau left to restructure. Do their contracts and you end up with $5m or so in space.

A new deal for Peat could also clear space since he has a $13.6m cap hit from his contract voiding.

Definitely barely…however we still have to factor in the $4m rookie pool roster swing, and surely we’d have to have more than $1m to fill holes.

Seems unreasonable to think we will get out of this without restructuring at least one of those deals.

EDIT: I agree on Peat.

The Peat deal just makes way too much sense not to bring him back both from a cap perspective and from a need to have someone in addition to Penning at LT.

Definitely barely…however we still have to factor in the $4m rookie pool roster swing, and surely we’d have to have more than $1m to fill holes.

Seems unreasonable to think we will get out of this without restructuring at least one of those deals.

It may be that they do have to restructure at least one of those three contracts, but there are other moves to make like resigning Peat to avoid his dead cap hit. And ultimately, I trust that Khai Harley will do amazing things with an extra $13 million on the cap.

But there are other moves they may make that will shift all the cap calculations. i.e. a possible Lattimore trade or bringing back Winston which I think would avoid a dead money hit.

Can sign our rookies once the post June 1 cuts clear, so the $5-6m would be free to use.

It may be that they do have to restructure at least one of those three contracts, but there are other moves to make like resigning Peat to avoid his dead cap hit. And ultimately, I trust that Khai Harley will do amazing things with an extra $13 million on the cap.

But there are other moves they may make that will shift all the cap calculations. i.e. a possible Lattimore trade or bringing back Winston which I think would avoid a dead money hit.

I am of the mindset that when we decided to run it back with DA and now Carr, we are committed to this being the version of the team we think can be special.

To me, you don’t dip your toe in at this point. If you’re going to continue down the path, like Underhill and Triplett said yesterday, commit to it.

Maximize the cap, bring in a Tier 1 free agent (maybe even two) and nail this draft, and suddenly we are in business.

I am of the mindset that when we decided to run it back with DA and now Carr, we are committed to this being the version of the team we think can be special.

To me, you don’t dip your toe in at this point. If you’re going to continue down the path, like Underhill and Triplett said yesterday, commit to it.

Maximize the cap, bring in a Tier 1 free agent (maybe even two) and nail this draft, and suddenly we are in business.

I do think they are going to try to have the best team they can again this year. But, I know that Loomis has said they are going to try to get closer to the cap a few years ago. That doesn't mean they won't do as many simple restructures converting salaries to roster bonuses, but it might mean that they are going to be more careful about adding void years to contracts of older players. So, while I think they may do all the simple restructures, they may not "go all in" in the sense of adding a bunch of void years to add even more money in cap space.

Anyway, I do think it would be smart to save restructuring Cam, Demario, and Ram until they need the money. They may want to spend a bunch in free agency, but you can't always get the players you want so, if you end up signing cheaper players, it makes sense to avoid the dead money when those guys retire or their contracts expire.

Cam’s contract is fully guaranteed, I think it’s probably one of the best contracts to restructure.
This can’t possibly be true… They gave a fully guaranteed contract extension/restructure to a 35 year old vet…

I do not know but I’ll fall out of my chair if this is the case. I didn’t really look at the numbers last year but I assumed it was to ease the HUGE hit he had accumulated from pushing his contract. Why in the world would they guarantee his contract.

This can’t possibly be true… They gave a fully guaranteed contract extension/restructure to a 35 year old vet…

I do not know but I’ll fall out of my chair if this is the case. I didn’t really look at the numbers last year but I assumed it was to ease the HUGE hit he had accumulated from pushing his contract. Why in the world would they guarantee his contract.
Cam signed a fully guaranteed 2 year/27.5M extension. It’s short year length and low total value. I think fully gtd got the deal done from Cam’s end for full security as a franchise/league great. The deal will take him to retirement soon in 2026 when the contract expires, plus void years cap hits.

I like Nate Shepherd. He is a try-hard DT. While Saunders gets a lot of attention for his FB role. I think Shepherd is the better of the two FA DLs from last season.

I like Nate Shepherd. He is a try-hard DT. While Saunders gets a lot of attention for his FB role. I think Shepherd is the better of the two FA DLs from last season.
I like both guys but we need to get a guy to pair with breese in either the early draft like sweat or a starting level FA. I feel better about Saunders/Shepard as rotation guys tbh.

I like both guys but we need to get a guy to pair with breese in either the early draft like sweat or a starting level FA. I feel better about Saunders/Shepard as rotation guys tbh.

One thought I had is for us to go all-in and sign Danielle Hunter, the trade down and draft the Sweat kid out of Texas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom