Eagles will stress the Saints front 7 this week. (77 Viewers)

Yeah, need that spy. Perhaps this deserves a separate post...but anyone noticing the lack of an impact Bresee is having?

I'm really starting to see him as a 5Tech that reduces inside to 3Tech on passing downs, because on running downs as a DT he gets washed and tends to lose the leverage battle a good bit. Saw him on the ground a couple times last week and I haven't seen the jump from him I was expecting.
Seemed to have a pretty decent impact when he forced that fumble.

Yeah, need that spy. Perhaps this deserves a separate post...but anyone noticing the lack of an impact Bresee is having?

I'm really starting to see him as a 5Tech that reduces inside to 3Tech on passing downs, because on running downs as a DT he gets washed and tends to lose the leverage battle a good bit. Saw him on the ground a couple times last week and I haven't seen the jump from him I was expecting.

I would be interested in your thoughts on how to implement a spy to stop running QBs.

In my mind if we put Gay on the field to spy that likely means either taking out a CB or Werner. Which seems to be a trick bag to me because we likely need Werner on the field as a run defender and to cover underneath routes and if you take out a CB that is likely going to be Taylor who may be our best tackling DB outside of Tyrann. In some ways with his speed and tackling ability Taylor would see to be a good option to spy Hurts but you sacrifice some block shedding and run defense to stop Barkley to have him on the field. Maybe they rotate the spy between Taylor and May?

Last edited:

I am also hoping for more, but he had good gap discipline in the pass rush on Sunday, with a sack and almost had another one but for a great escape by Prescott to dump the ball off. Want to see what he does against a variety of QBs in the next few weeks.

I am also hoping for more, but he had good gap discipline in the pass rush on Sunday, with a sack and almost had another one but for a great escape by Prescott to dump the ball off. Want to see what he does against a variety of QBs in the next few weeks.
He has a sack, forced fumble, a tackle for loss, along with numerous pressures. I think he's been impactful.

One thing for sure is that we will get every teams best shot now. No more flying under the radar so say. To me this game is about making Hurts beat us with his arm. Pass rush takes a back seat to front 7 awareness of his ability to escape and make plays with his legs.

This is why the Willie Gay signing was BRILLIANT. Willie Gay was used in KC's defense as the QB spy for Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen.

Willie Gay shuts down mobile QBs.

We are going to THUMP the eagles with our defense this week.

Defensively, I'm expecting the Eagles to be aggressive and creative, attempting to out-man and overload our blocking & protection. Doing so puts them at severe risk for play-action and big plays, but we've seen over two weeks what happens when defenses sit back and react.

November 21, 2021 was the last time the Saints played the Eagles with Hurts. The Eagles won 49 to 29 with Hurts passing for only 147 yards but running for three TDs and 69 yards with the Eagles running 50 times for 242 yards. (In 2022 1/1/2023 we played Gardner Minshew and won 20 to 10) Both of those games were in Philadelphia.
In 2021 we had Trevor Siemian at QB, an old Mark Ingram II, and Tre'Quan Smith at wide receiver. Kamara did not play. Demario Davis only had 1 tackle. Outside of Hurts these are very different teams.

On Monday night versus the Falcons Hurts passed for 183 and 1 td and 1 int and ran for 85 yards and a td. They should have won and coaching cost them.
The key stat to me is the Falcons Bijan Robinson averaged 6.9 and Tyler Allgeier averaged 5.9 yards a carry totaling over 150 yards rushing combined.
Hurts and Barkley ran for 180 yards combined.

In the first two games of 2024 the Saints have built up big leads and forced teams to be one dimensional and avoided passing mandatory downs and series.
The Eagles and the Saints will have similar formulas to be run first. I see us blitzing Taylor and using Gay as a spy on Hurts.
I also see the Dome being insanely loud after that win in Dallas.

Bring it on. Who Dat!

The Eagles cant get out of their own way, the Saints can only lose by not playing their best game and through two games so far in a early 2025 season the Saints have yet to come out cold or play down to their opponent and I think we will vs the Eagles as running QB's have always been a achilles heel for a DA led defense.

Saints win but I think we get stretch this game 28-14 Saints.

Hurts is tied for the league lead in interceptions. I agree with everything else you wrote. This will be a significant challenge for our front 7. Need to maintain eye discipline.
He's in a six-way tie for second with 3 ints, which also includes Patrick Mahomes. Bo Nix and Anthony Richardson lead the league with 4 ints.

Also coaches don't like having to use QB spys. It can compromise how you defend the rest of that offense. Good thing no AJ Brown. . Still means the defense will have a bit more on their plate and will need to play disciplined football.

I think that an athletic LB like Orji can contribute this week if given the chance. He would make a great spy against Hurts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom