Finally finished making pens. (1 Viewer)

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Finally, I'm done making Christmas presents for the family. What a friggin beating. As you can see I made pens on my lathe for everyone. After one day of my allergies going nuts from fine ebony dust I gained a whole new respect for my respirator and dust collector.

You'll notice that a couple of the pens have an inlay. That is called a Scottish Knot and I've yet to get it right. I saw it done on youtube and like a typical dude I didn't bother reading up on how to do it. I just went with trial (two total failures) and error (neither of these is quite right)..

But here they are, done...

My first one with a Scottish Knot (that didn't blow up on me)..

DSC_0018 by rboyett2001, on Flickr

My 2nd successful knot (sorta) on a different type of pen.

DSC_0006 by rboyett2001, on Flickr

The set that went out in the mail today..

DSC_0024 by rboyett2001, on Flickr

I'm going to start offering these for sale in the future. I just need to perfect a few things like that knot and the finish on the pens. The current finish is kinda cheap and won't last long.

I hope the recipients know that you hand crafted those, or else you're going to get some looks like "oh, a pen...you shouldn't have." :hihi:

+1

But that's really cool you did those yourself.

yea, everyone in the family knows that I do this and other woodworking projects as a hobby. I'm now getting into making larger peices like vases and round boxes. I can also do baseball bats, table legs, etc, etc...

Now that these are done, I'm going to put pen making down for a few weeks. I've got to refinish a maple dresser that Miyako found at a thrift store and get started on a Maloof style rocking chair for the nursery.

Nice work Rick

You have a pic of your lathe?

Pretty nice work.

Good looking pens

I love making pens...quick and easy and finished in no time.

I have to go look for the Scotish knot that looks really cool. I haven't touched my lathe since April.(thanks BP)

I wonder if you can expand that knot into something the size of an ornament. Thats what i was making last year for presents was ornaments but they lacked the something and the contrast of the know may be perfect.

I guess I'll be the first to ask. Fleur de lis?

I'm currently looking for a pen kit that has a Fleur de lis incorporated into it. Doing a fleur de lis inlay like that won't be easy but I'm researching that too...

You have a pic of your lathe?

Pretty nice work.

I just upgraded from a Jet mini to this Delta 46-460 midi lathe. It's like going from a Chevy Cruze to a BMW 3 series. :D
76894_1548113541547_1196311180_31291674_3796521_n.jpg

Good looking pens

I love making pens...quick and easy and finished in no time.

I have to go look for the Scotish knot that looks really cool. I haven't touched my lathe since April.(thanks BP)

I wonder if you can expand that knot into something the size of an ornament. Thats what i was making last year for presents was ornaments but they lacked the something and the contrast of the know may be perfect.

Yes, that knot can definitely be expanded. I've seen guys make large bowls with them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom