For all the really old timers around here, perhaps you remember a thread about this.... (1 Viewer)

ClayT101

Tee Retriever
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Its been awhile since I visited Saints Report. Anyhow, I saw this on the Advocate's website, and it immediately brought back good memories of Saints Report. Perhaps some of you remember the thread that I am talking about :)

ohhh guessing game.

give us a hint?

There are a lot of chains in BR, but there are some gems out there as well.

It's not up there in terms of food/restaurant offerings like NOLA, but it's not as bad as let's say- Dallas..

He's talking about certain folks who had no clue what BR actually has to offer in the food scene and used a garbage review to inflate their sense of superiority.

I recall pointing out how wrong they were in assuming the best was Chilis, but most were too full of superficial pride to entertain their own ignorance.

Hmmmm...I don't remember this thread.

Maybe just didn't chime in or even lurk it.

If we are cherry picking DFW blows the doors off of BR.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

DFW couldn't touch BR for Greek, Lebanese, or Indian when I was there. There were other places I truly miss and could agree DFW was better.

I try not to compare cities so much as meals. If a gas station burrito is better, I simply enjoy the cheap burrito.

Your avatar is usually my first indicator of the location of the wrestling thread....so this was different.

No, I don't remember any Chili's threads. So imagine my embarrassment if you eventually link it and I have like 57 posts in there.

I vaguely remember the Chili’s review thread.. it’s not in the same league as the Listerine vs Butt Pimples thread, or the Kennabrah Swimming Pool thread.. but it was pretty lively, if i recall .
Yes, it was the Chili's review thread (of all of the restaurants they could review, The Advocate chose Chili's). At the time, I hated Baton Rouge. Now that I have lived here for almost 20 years, it is ok.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed the the thread. For awhile, anytime Baton Rouge was brought up, people mentioned Chilis.

Can’t remember the suburb- maybe it was McKinney - but that place seemed like it was chain restaurants and ONLY chain restaurants as far as the eye could see
Most of the places in both cities are slammed full of chains.

If you want Japanese, Nikko's in Southlake is pretty spectacular. Just ate there a couple days ago for the second time. The A5 steak and sushi were top notch.
Maple Landing is always good for brunch. Sevan G&G cafe is remarkably good Greek food and the 2nd best Greek I've had in Texas. First being this place in Abilene that is so out of place but amazing.

If you want good Mexican, there is plenty of that. I think Texas is the 2nd most overrated BBQ in the country after Memphis (KC is the best by far) but there are still some good dive BBQ places around Dallas. My favorite being a hole in the wall in Denton.

If you want to get fancy, you can. If you want the best fast food in the country, they have Braum's. I've had good Korean BBQ, Vietnamese and American classics in Dallas. One of my favorite places is EmpaMundo. A lady from Argentina owns the place and cranks out some amazing empanadas and they are cheap out this little store in a run down strip mall. It's right by DFW and I look forward to every visit. If you want good seafood you can get it but my only good experiences have come from fine dining and Baton Rouge blows away DFW when it comes to seafood on a budget but that's BR's only advantage.

Now, the good restaurants may be 45 minutes apart with 1100 chains in between but you can eat much better in the DFW metro than you can in Baton Rouge and it isn't close. DFW is also like 20 times the population of Baton Rouge so the comparison isn't fair when cherry picking restaurants.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom