for anyone afraid of vilma and his knee read this (1 Viewer)

The Saints can get a healthy LB in the fourth with as much ability without the obvious risk. Not being a prototypical 3-4 MLB means he's limited as a player. Z. Thomas is similar in size and has been successful in both systems. Pass on him unless it's for a sixth or seventh.
:covri:

Guys, this may be one of those draft day trades...

what about instead of a 4th maybe Vilma and their 3rd or 4th round pick for our 2nd...

this might be that kind of deal... a "bundled" move up the draft type deal...

thinking out loud...

Wouldn't it be Vilma vs. Lofton/Mayo *minus* whatever pick you spend to get them, too?

No because Lofton/Mayo would be had with our 2nd round pick not giving up anything. To get Vilma we will have to give up soemthing......in the case of this thread we are speculating a 4th.

Vilma + Lofton (2nd) - 4th > Lofton (2nd) + 4th. The two are not exclusionary. Saints have shown time and again they will go after BPA and Lofton would hopefully be at the top of their list when our 2nd rounder came up.

I also think any trade involving Vilma will be a draft day move. Maybe swap some picks and move back some where like we did to get Faine and Hollis Thomas.

No because Lofton/Mayo would be had with our 2nd round pick not giving up anything. To get Vilma we will have to give up soemthing......in the case of this thread we are speculating a 4th.

You are giving up the 2nd round pick to get Lofton/Mayo. Just like you would be giving up the 4th to get Vilma. In scenario A, you still have a *4th* round pick, but use the 2nd. In scenario B, you still have a *2nd* round pick, but use the 4th.

You are giving up the 2nd round pick to get Lofton/Mayo. Just like you would be giving up the 4th to get Vilma. In scenario A, you still have a *4th* round pick, but use the 2nd. In scenario B, you still have a *2nd* round pick, but use the 4th.

I understand what you're saying but the move we make at MLB I would like to be as close to a sure thing as possible and Lofton/Mayo, IMO, is lss of a ? than Vilma.

Of course my arguement only makes sense if we were to pass on Lofton/Mayo because we would have Vilma.

You don't give up first day picks for players coming off injuries. Period. I'd offer a 5th and if Vilma starts 50% of the games, it will jump to a 4th. If he starts every game, it'll jump to a 3rd. Anything more and we'll just take our chances of signing him when they cut him. Otherwise let someone else overpay for him.

I understand what you're saying but the move we make at MLB I would like to be as close to a sure thing as possible and Lofton/Mayo, IMO, is lss of a ? than Vilma.

Of course my arguement only makes sense if we were to pass on Lofton/Mayo because we would have Vilma.

So a college player who has never played a down in the NFL is less of a ? than a 25-year-old who was a pro-bowler before his team switched defenses?

Yes, Vilma's fighting back from a knee injury, but one that we just watched Kellen Winslow fight back from and turn himself into a pro bowler.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

So a college player who has never played a down in the NFL is less of a ? than a 25-year-old who was a pro-bowler before his team switched defenses?

Yes, Vilma's fighting back from a knee injury, but one that we just watched Kellen Winslow fight back from and turn himself into a pro bowler.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Yeah..I guess, but I enjoyed the back and forth.

One last thing, Winslow is getting tackled by LBers or CB's and normally it's downfield making the impact much less than Vilma who is taking on OLmen, TE's and FB's, not to mention the piles he's in on with tackles where his knee will be taking a beating.

I'm just leary of injured players when we KNOW FOR A FACT we can get a mlb in the draft cheaper without the injury issues. That is the main thing........we know we can get Connor, Lofton, Mayo, Wheeler etc.

I didn't read the article above and didn't read any of the replies. Absolutely we should be afraid of the surgery. I think there is a better than 50% chance that his career is in question. I wouldn't touch Vilma after he had a microfracture surgery if that is what he is having. I can only think of two player that had this type of surgery...Stephen Davis and Robert Edwards. Neither came back to play at a very high level. Neither was terribly productive. Again, I'd pass on Vilma. Not worth the risk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom