Gaming's most Important Franchise? (2 Viewers)

I don't know about "important" but I sure have put years into trying to get Larry Laffer laid.

Great, now I remember I bought that crap.

I bet if we bought it now for the 20 dollars it was probably worth we'd probably enjoy it... well at least get the money's worth. I am going to have to eventually get it off the used shelf for 10 bucks so I can at least use the Season Pass I wasted money on.

I don't know about "important" but I sure have put years into trying to get Larry Laffer laid.

I'd have suggested working on yourself...:hihi:

(waiting for someone to take the 'yourself' comment to the gutters)

You've got to have the Mario franchise up there as most important. At one point the only figures more recognizable than Mario to kids were Ronald McDonald and Santa Claus. Before Mario, video games were hardly marketable. The fate of Nintendo is inextricably woven to that of Mario. So from that standpoint:

After that it's Final Fantasy and beyond that you have a bevy of other franchise heavyweights that have left their indelible marks on the gaming industry. In no particular order:

The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Metal Gear
Mega Man
DooM
Castlevania
Double Dragon
Madden
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Sonic the Hedgehog
Tetris

No love for Elder Scrolls? Granted it is not as iconic as Mario, but it is still one of the longest RPG series around.

No love for Elder Scrolls? Granted it is not as iconic as Mario, but it is still one of the longest RPG series around.

I never got into Elder Scrolls. Too generic, too boring of a story usually. Basically it's playing D&D, lots of possibilities, but not always exciting. Same with Baulder's gate.

I always had a preference for a good story. That's why Knights of the old Republic I and II were games I really enjoyed. Final Fantasy 6, 7, 10 all had good stories. Phantasy Star IV was a good story (granted, I didnt' play the earlier ones). Lunar was a good story (for that age). The Secret of Mana even at least had a point to it all (very enjoyable game, maybe not as much as an adult). Chrono Trigger had a good story. Xenogears was a cool story, just ended a bit rushed.

For modern stuff, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and especially the Witcher 3 were all very good stories. And the Witcher 3 combined a very good central story, with interesting side quests, and a crazy amount of side exploration.

If you don't have a point or a good story for an RPG, you basically get No Man's Sky.

I think it's the one Genre that really makes the story as important or more important than gameplay (unless the gameplay really sucks)

I think Mario is probably the winner here in my eyes. Lots of other great franchises mentioned in the thread, but one I feel that isnt mentioned that deserves to be is probably warcraft. Three very popular RTS games (which also spawned DOTA), followed by an absolutely massive genre defining mmorpg, and now the hearthstone app which has a crazy amount of players. The warcraft universe has been huge.

What I played a lot was Rygar and Metroid on the Nintendo way back when. I never really played Mario that much to be honest. Didn't like it, still don't. But as far as the most popular game to put video gaming on the mainstream it would have to be Mario.

and now the hearthstone app which has a crazy amount of players.

UyDVy3P.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom