Giants Fans Crying May Be the Most Pathetic Thing I’ve Ever Seen (1 Viewer)

Just explain to me why Lombardi's name is on the trophy?
He won his second SuperBowl while the team with the best record in football was excluded from the playoffs simply because he won his 4-team division.

Divisions matter and so do conferences. If the WFT doesnt deserve a home game because the division doesnt matter, than we should be playing the Dolphins instead of the Bears because conferences shouldnt matter either.

Really its the 6 wildcard teams that didnt win their division that have no business whatsoever being in the playoffs.

Thankfully the league corrected its mistake from the early going.

I disagree that this entire thing should be about winning a division. It should be about who are the best teams. I don't see how abolishing conferences or divisions for that matter need to be brought into the discussion. That to me just feels like a strawman add-on to the conversation.

So we should also discuss if its fair to decide home field advantage by overall record first.

You could discuss it but I'm not certain the discussion would/should be taken seriously. What's the argument? The 12-4 Steelers should get HFA over the 14-2 Chiefs because the Steelers won a division that sent 3 teams to the playoffs? I mean, really?

It's funny the giants are crying about the integrity of them game when they had players faking injuries years ago. I'm with Pederson on this one. He did what was best for his team which is getting them a higher draft pick. Stop crying. The giants were 6-10 and had no business being in the playoffs. They had their chances.
I’m kind of on the fence with all of this, but I don’t think it was Peterson’s decision. I think he was instructed to tank. No way he does it on his own without the blessing of his boss. Sounds like he has lost his locker room over it. He may have committed career suicide by the way it unfolded.

You could discuss it but I'm not certain the discussion would/should be taken seriously. What's the argument? The 12-4 Steelers should get HFA over the 14-2 Chiefs because the Steelers won a division that sent 3 teams to the playoffs? I mean, really?

Maybe. Or maybe it should be decided by record against common opponents + head to head first and then if they never played each other and never played common opponents it should be overall win-loss. This could work for deciding who gets home field in the case of wild card teams vs division winners too.

I am just saying since in the NFL there is no way for each team to play every other team, any answer to the playoffs seeding question will not be totally fair.

Thankfully the league corrected its mistake from the early going.
Yes by adding a single wild card team because they had 3 divisions in each conference so they gave the Dolphins coached by Shula a second chance to win a road game to prove they deserve a spot because they needed a 4th team.

Then they added a second wild card team and now a third. At no point did they deserve a home game.

The NFL began with two divisions and just those two division winners facing off for the majority of the NFL seasons with no other game other than division matches when the two division teams were tied for first.

Its the essence of every championship won by Lombardi . If they want to change the system then take Lombardis name off the trophy and put Don Shulas name on the trophy. You know Shula the coach with the most wins, the coach who got left out of the playoffs with best NFL record so Lombardi could win Superbowl II, the coach who had the best non-division winner rercord when they created the wild card spot.

Vince Lombardi isnt even in the Top 40 of Wins.

Last edited:
Yes by adding a single wild card team because they had 3 divisions in each conference so they gave the Dolphins coached by Shula a second chance to win a road game to prove they deserve a spot because they needed a 4th team.

Then they added a second wild card team and now a third. At no point did they deserve a home game.

The NFL began with two divisions and just those two division winners facing off for the majority of the NFL seasons with no other game other than division matches when the two division teams were tied for first.

Its the essence of every championship won by Lombardi . If they want to change the system then take Lombardis name off the trophy and put Don Shulas name on the trophy. You know Shula the coach with the most wins, the coach who got left out of the playoffs with best NFL record so Lombardi could win Superbowl II, the coach who had the best non-division winner rercord when they created the wild card spot.

What year was this? I want to look at the standings. How did he not win his division if he had the best record in the NFL? Wouldn't he have to have the best record in whichever division he was in if he had the best record in the NFL? Explain what I am missing please.

What year was this? I want to look at the standings. How did he not win his division if he had the best record in the NFL? Wouldn't he have to have the best record in whichever division he was in if he had the best record in the NFL? Explain what I am missing please.
1967 He was 11-1-2 tied for first with the Rams who got to go to the playoffs on head-to-head tie breaker.

So he had the best record in the NFL but did not win his division.

1967 He was 11-1-2 tied for first with the Rams who got to go to the playoffs on head-to-head tie breaker.

So he had the best record in the NFL but did not win his division.
So I just looked at the standing. They were tied for the best record in the NFL, but they lost the tiebreaker due to head to head. There were no wildcards at the time, only division winners made the playoffs.

People on here were upset the 7-9 saints didnt make the playoffs with historically bad defenses in 2014-2016......but thats none of my business

People on here were upset the 7-9 saints didnt make the playoffs with historically bad defenses in 2014-2016......but thats none of my business

Upset we weren’t good enough to make the playoffs don’t you mean?

yea cause we sucked. and paytons coaching tenure ran its course. then all of a sudden they cut some troublemakers, had an epic draft, and he reinvented the team for 4 straight division wins.

Well, if the league had only two divisions, the odds that those two division winners are the best two teams in each conference goes up significantly. Not to mention there were significantly fewer teams back then.

I just don't agree that winning your division should trump record.

I just don't agree that winning your division should trump record.
A reasonable opinion but one I disagree with at the present time.

See the thing about a wild card team is we already know you arent the best team in the NFL because you couldnt win your division.

Consider the 1963 Season (pre-Superbowl), there were two divisions 7 teams each. The Packers (under Lombardi) were posibly the 2nd best team in the NFL. They lost their division by a half game to the Bears.

Back then the schedule was setup to crown a division winner. The Packers played a14 game season with only 2 out of division games (they dominated the Cardinals and the Steelers). The only games they lost were to the Bears.

Today there is a bigger schedule (16-games) but it is still focused on crowning Division Champions as each divisional opponent is played twice and then one division is paired up against another, and then each division pairs up cross-conference against another division. This sustains rivalries and puts the division on a fairly even schedules within their division. The whole system is setup to crown Division Champions.

Personally I prefer it that way and I would sooner do away with the 6 wildcard teams altogether. But if it has to be watered down then add the 7th and 8th wildcard team and make it perfectly clear that they have to face the 8 Division winners.

If you add a 7th and 8th wildcard team it will become obvious that the wildcard teams are just wildcard teams as 7-9 wildcard teams get into the playoffs as well.

Upset we weren’t good enough to make the playoffs don’t you mean?

No. Literally, people were looking at different ways they could get to the playoffs.(if the panthers lose, bears win etc ect)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom