God of War news (1 Viewer)

Sorry guys I'm retarted. So if I get that collection I get God of War 1 and 2 on bluray disc with demo for god of war 3?

I think I'm mentally challenged also.

I just changed my pre-order to the special edition for GOW3..now, I'm in love with the demo and all but I just found out what the special edition GOW3 cost.

*drum roll*

100 bucks

That's a lot. I hope I don't regret it.

what does the special edition come with??? a set of the blades of chaos?? if so, i am ordering

If you have a large screen lcd 1080p can make a very big difference compared to 720p. Size makes a big difference.

If you're lcd is small you won't notice much of a difference, however, if it's large you will notice a huge difference.

I've experimented with this until I am blue in the face so I'm not gonna bother anymore discussing this on this forum so I'll keep this simple..in general, if your lcd is 30 inches are above you will notice a big difference with 1080p compared to 720...especially if you have a nice lcd with a very good brightness(means you can see a lot more of the screen in clarity)

Overly simplistic. Your argument is 100% correct if the game you're talking about is native 1080p. 90% of games for both systems aren't, and therefore, they are rendered at their native resolutions, and then upscaled by the GPU, if you force it to do that.

Here's the deal, if your TV is native 1080p, then it's going to upscale regardless, if the source is rendered at less than 1080p. So, why is it a bad idea to force the PS3 to upscale your games? It's because the PS3's hardware scaler, for whatever reason, only scales horizontally. So it will scale your game to, for example, 960x1080 instead of 1920x1080. Running the game at its native resolution and letting your TV upscale it properly works best, I've found.

I've done a lot of research on this, and it appears that software plays a huge role in how well a game will upscale. For example, Modern Warfare 1&2 both render at 600p, but IW (apparently) used square pixels so they upscale better than other games. Like I said, God of War 1&2 look fine upscaled, but performs better at 720p.

Remember this thread?
http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1653106#post1653106

That's when I really started paying attention to native resolutions. The reason it looked better in 720p is because of the PS3's hardware scaler. This is why it still looked terrible on my 360. The 360's hardware scaler goes both ways ... so the upscaled image was relatively the same either way. The properly scaled PS3 image was just superior.

Check out the Beyond 3D forums if you're really interested in the nerdy specifics. They go nuts over this stuff, and most of it goes way over my head. They also keep a list of native 1080p games. There's a link to it in that thread.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom