Gwachum, Tapp, Tull and McCain (1 Viewer)

You left Bobby Richardson off he is the primary backup behind Jordan LDE and has shown improvement he is a lock at this point. Also Tull has been used exclusively at DE and McCain is also a DE they won't make the team at LB.

Check out the saints chart and you'll see Tull is listed as 3rd string DE.

.Saints Home

Also Jenkins is a safe bet him and Davison and Mabry are the only 1 tech JR's we have and you need at least 2 for a rotation while Mabry goes to the PS one more year.

That last part I've been debating. It used to make sense to have two NT's when you played Base over 50% of the time like in 2009. As of 2016 teams are in base D only about 34% of the time so are two NT's really needed and are they the "traditional NT's of past that are space eaters" Now i wouldn't cut Jenkins because u never know what could happen but I could see a scenario where he doesn't make it only because the value of the position has been minimized over the years and we've got a heavy DT rotation with Fairley, Rankins, Onyemata, Richards, Davison all in the nickel DT rotation.

Just a thought... but I do think you are absolutely right that he's safe.......just wouldn't shock me if he was cut.

The pickup of Kruger really can't be understated. He makes for a very capable platoon with Edebali AND he gives Gwachum a chance to develop without being pressed into service to quickly.

Jordan, Richardson, Kruger, & Edebali make for a very nice rotation while Gwachum and Onyemata (how's that for the names of your two DE's?) live and learn and become the "a few years down the road" guys.

I think Gwachum makes it. I think Tapp doesn't. I think McCain doesn't. I think Tull does, but they keep him as an SLB. I just don't see how he can be a DE, but I also think he has way to many measurables to not be useful as a LB/ST guy.

LDE Jordan, Richardson
DT Fairly, Rankins, Onyemata
NT Davison, Jenkins
RDE Kruger, Edabali

Normally we would keep 9 but I could see 10 this year

Bubble player are DE's Gwachum, Tapp, Tull and McCain along with DT Mabry

Normally we keep 9 lineman, 7 linebackers and 10 defensive backs. Right now it looks like we keep 6 linebackers leaving an extra roster spot that can be used on a DE. Anything above that and you start shorting depth at another position.

Rankins is out for 6 weeks. You cannot back up Fairly with Onyemata as he's not ready IMO. If anything you have to keep an extra DT and my guess would be Mabry or we pick someone up off the waiver wire? The other option is to rotate a DE inside. Jordan or Richardson could take snaps inside. Tapp and Tull are long shots. Cutting Tull or Tapp isn't risking the performance of this D. If Tull is picked up he's not going to another teams 53 put their PS. McCain is on a tryout and if he outperforms Gwachum then so be it. We're talking about 5th & 6th guys on the depth chart. If we have to get that low on the depth chart for contributions for anything but ST then we've got big issues.

That last part I've been debating. It used to make sense to have two NT's when you played Base over 50% of the time like in 2009. As of 2016 teams are in base D only about 34% of the time so are two NT's really needed and are they the "traditional NT's of past that are space eaters" Now i wouldn't cut Jenkins because u never know what could happen but I could see a scenario where he doesn't make it only because the value of the position has been minimized over the years and we've got a heavy DT rotation with Fairley, Rankins, Onyemata, Richards, Davison all in the nickel DT rotation.

Just a thought... but I do think you are absolutely right that he's safe.......just wouldn't shock me if he was cut.

I agree after this offseason it's going to hard to be surprised. I will be surprised if Tull makes the 53 I like the guy and he has some great athletic qualities, unfortunately none of them overcome his lack of length at DE. I have been a little disappointedt hat he wasn't tried as a rush LB similar to the way Vonn Miller has been used.

On your previous post I think you nailed it with Kruger making Tapp expendable. Those bottom of the depth chart guys are expected to play special teams or even be a ganeday inactive. I think that should be a younger guy with upside who could contribute beyond this year than an aging vet when neither would see thebfeikd for more than a handful of plays.

We usually keep 26 on defense.

I agree we only keep 1 out of these 4.
(You could probably throw Matt Shaughnessy in this group as well.)

I think Gwachum has the most upside of all of them.

Granted I haven't seen any of McCain.
He's had 1 sack already this preseason and had a sack and FF last November in a Dolphins win against the Eagles.

This is a good problem to have.
Here's how I have it so far.

davison
fairley
rankins
jenkins

jordan
richardson
gwachum
onyemata

kruger
edebali

ellerbe
robertson
anthony
laurinaitis
mauti
stupar

breaux
williams
devante harris
crawley
finnegan

vacarro
byrd
bell
erik harris
harper

Hard part is figuring out which 4 of these players don't get to suit up for the Raiders.

I'm guessing Rankins, Onyemata, Harris and Harris?

Rankins is out for 6 weeks. You cannot back up Fairly with Onyemata as he's not ready IMO. If anything you have to keep an extra DT and my guess would be Mabry or we pick someone up off the waiver wire? The other option is to rotate a DE inside. Jordan or Richardson could take snaps inside. Tapp and Tull are long shots. Cutting Tull or Tapp isn't risking the performance of this D. If Tull is picked up he's not going to another teams 53 put their PS. McCain is on a tryout and if he outperforms Gwachum then so be it. We're talking about 5th & 6th guys on the depth chart. If we have to get that low on the depth chart for contributions for anything but ST then we've got big issues.

3.5 weeks of Rankins recovery time will have passed by the first game. If all goes well he could be back practicing by the 27th of Sept which is just after the 3rd game. He should be back by game 5.

Like you said Richardson, Onyemata and Davison can rotate at DT and when Davison rotates over Jenkins can rotate in at NT

I had forgotten Shaughnessy was even a member of the team :)

The logic behind Tapp being the odd man out (age, not much upside) make sense. Tull might stick around only because they're paying draft-pick money for him.

After the saints drafted Tull I was excited he might be a steal from a small school with pass rush ability. So they past two preseasons if keyed in on him most of the time he is in the game . I havent seen a snap that has made me think Tull has a shot at being an NFL player.

I had forgotten Shaughnessy was even a member of the team :)

The logic behind Tapp being the odd man out (age, not much upside) make sense. Tull might stick around only because they're paying draft-pick money for him.

Tapp is better right now than the other guys you want to see development from. we need to keep the best player, not someone we hope will develop into a better player someday in the future.

Gwachum still flashed from time to time. But, like Onyemata, he's still raw. In fact, he's still more raw than Onyemata, who has also flashed at times, just more frequently than Gwachum. I can see Gwachum on the PS again.
Gwachum was never on the practice squad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom