Hair salons.......Disappointments. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Why are so many barbers deaf?

1601934334225.png

It's like can you cut my hair this way? They say, sure, then do whatever they like.

It's not like one barber here or there, it's a wide spread conspiracy.

For now on, I will make the barber repeat what the instructions are, so I know at least they heard me.

Are they mental, have trouble grasping the English language, or just don't care?

Thoughts?

1601934357767.png

Last edited:
If you know they are deaf perhaps you need to write it down on a piece of paper.

Solid advice, but it could come across insulting. Not my intent to insult, but seeking understanding on why there is such a lack of execution. Maybe barber schools teach their students that they are artists, so they can express themselves as they see fit?

It might be best to just find a barber that your comfortable with and just stick with that person. It just seems like this isn't rocket science here, it's using scissors and clippers. It shouldn't be that difficult, but it is for some reason.

O.k., so I read some reddit pages.......

The reasons:

Time - save time by doing something else
Stylist went to school, so they know best
Deaf
Miscommunication
Don't care
Don't expect much for a $10 cut.
You get what you pay for.

I do buzz cut my own hair and only ask the barber to clean the neck line, because I can't actually do that myself.

Two hair cuts ago, I asked the lady to round the neck line, she squares it. Round and square are quite different. My hair cuts take about 2 minutes at the barber, but some how it never goes as plan. I'm paying $8-$11 for a 2 minute hair cut and it still gets messed up. This is like $4-$5 a minute and I could do a better job on average.

O.k. letting it go and will look for a barber who can properly do a two minute hair cut.

O.k., so I read some reddit pages.......

The reasons:

Time - save time by doing something else
Stylist went to school, so they know best
Deaf
Miscommunication
Don't care
Don't expect much for a $10 cut.
You get what you pay for.

I do buzz cut my own hair and only ask the barber to clean the neck line, because I can't actually do that myself.

Two hair cuts ago, I asked the lady to round the neck line, she squares it. Round and square are quite different. My hair cuts take about 2 minutes at the barber, but some how it never goes as plan. I'm paying $8-$11 for a 2 minute hair cut and it still gets messed up. This is like $4-$5 a minute and I could do a better job on average.

O.k. letting it go and will look for a barber who can properly do a two minute hair cut.
I found your problem. Going to a barber that charges $8 for a haircut.
My barber reopened a few months ago and raised his price to $20. He was charging $16 before Covid.
That’s like buying sushi at the gas station. You get what you pay for.

I found your problem. Going to a barber that charges $8 for a haircut.
My barber reopened a few months ago and raised his price to $20. He was charging $16 before Covid.
That’s like buying sushi at the gas station. You get what you pay for.

If you say so. It's a two minute neckline shaping, NOT a full hair cut. Ask your barber how much he would charge for this service. Strongly doubt he would charge $20.

"I do buzz cut my own hair and only ask the barber to clean the neck line."

It's o.k., I need to cut the grass now.

Sure you can.

The particular Remington haircut thing i posted above has an attachment , their #1 attachment, that cuts closer than any other #1 attachment ive ever used.. I use that at the neckline and like an inch or two above it.. below the neckline, i use a handheld mirror and an actual Gillette razor (or whatever brand you shave your face, or around your beard, with) to keep it clean.

Sure you can.

The particular Remington haircut thing i posted above has an attachment , their #1 attachment, that cuts closer than any other #1 attachment ive ever used.. I use that at the neckline and like an inch or two above it.. below the neckline, i use a handheld mirror and an actual Gillette razor (or whatever brand you shave your face, or around your beard, with) to keep it clean.

I have done something similar, but now that I'm working, it just seems like a better idea to goto the barber for that part.

This was the way I did it when I wasn't working. Saved so much money. You can buy a decent hair clipper for like $80 and that would be your cost to cut your hair for like 5 years, until you need a new one.

Most economical way is probably just go for this look. No need for clipper guards or barbers.

1601944655911.png

I'm glad you found a cheap way of doing it!

So, I might try a barber shop, instead of a salon. Supposedly barber shops are for men and salons are for woman?!?! Which seems odd, because hair stylist in salons are supposed to be better trained.

I think that is it. No more salons!

Go to a barber if...

• you're looking for a short, traditional style haircut such as a buzzcut, flattop, fade, or military style cut.
  • you're on a budget. Most barbers are cheaper than stylists, so you can save a bit of money going to a good barber.
  • you're looking to keep it simple. Barbers will typically cut your hair in a manner that allows it to look good naturally, without a lot of styling product.
  • you want a shave. Many upscale barbershops offer hot lather face shaves which are a real treat. I strongly recommend getting one several times per year.
  • you're looking to escape. Barbershops can be a great source of comraderie between guys. Typically no frills places, barbershops are a uniquely male gathering spot.
  • you don't like change. Barbers will ask you how you want your hair cut and do what you ask, normally without much feedback.
Go to a salon stylist if...

• you're going longer. Stylists generally have more experience cutting and styling longer hair.
  • you want color. Most barbers do not do a great deal of color services, so you'll likely find better results from a stylist.
  • you're looking for a more fashion forward style. A stylist is normally more aware of current trends than a barber.
  • you want a change. During the consultation, a stylist will often make suggestions for a style that will flatter your features better.
  • you need product. Salons frequently carry a greater selection of hairstyling products than barbershops. Stylists are more likely to be well-trained on the types and use of the products as well.

threadful of karens, smh

the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is three days

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom