Half Catahoula / Half Dachshund (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We are looking to adopt a dog (can't be too big, we live in a townhouse with no yard) and my wife found a rescue puppie that is half Catahloua, half Dachshund.

Does anybody have any experience with a mix like this - or any thoughts? Seems to me like it could be a really good dog.

VA532.16159861-1-pn.jpg

Better hope its more Dachshund if this is true...

http://www.catahoularescue.com/catahoulas.htm

because of their working background, Catahoulas require constant mental stimulation and hard physical exercise to be good companions. One to two hours DAILY of running or hard play is just the beginning. Also, Catahoulas must have obedience training - they are an assertive, dominant breed and can quickly take over a household if given the chance.

We are looking to adopt a dog (can't be too big, we live in a townhouse with no yard) and my wife found a rescue puppie that is half Catahloua, half Dachshund.

Does anybody have any experience with a mix like this - or any thoughts? Seems to me like it could be a really good dog.

VA532.16159861-1-pn.jpg

I own two Catahoulas and one Dachsund, but I can't tell you anything about what happens when you mix them. FWIW, I can tell you that the Catahoulas are pretty mean and dumb as stumps. The Dachsund on the other hand is aggressive for her size, but smart and incredibly stubborn.

Are they sure it's part catahoula? Or are they guessing b/c of the coloration? Dachshunds can be merle on their own...
20090630369213_1.jpg_w450.jpg

I love Catahoulas. They are very loyal and in my experience, smart (sorry, St. Widge, that yours turned out to be dumb - but they're pretty right?). They tend to be very territorial so they're pretty good watch dogs. When I was a kid, our neighbors had dachshunds and every kid in the neighborhood was scared of them b/c they chased us on our bikes. haha! That's the only experience I have with them so I'm no help on that side of it. I'm guessing Primadox will be much more helpful.

Are they sure it's part catahoula? Or are they guessing b/c of the coloration? Dachshunds can be merle on their own...
20090630369213_1.jpg_w450.jpg

I love Catahoulas. They are very loyal and in my experience, smart (sorry, St. Widge, that yours turned out to be dumb - but they're pretty right?). They tend to be very territorial so they're pretty good watch dogs. When I was a kid, our neighbors had dachshunds and every kid in the neighborhood was scared of them b/c they chased us on our bikes. haha! That's the only experience I have with them so I'm no help on that side of it. I'm guessing Primadox will be much more helpful.

Yeah, mine are white and they are beautiful, but they aren't very smart. That could in part be because I compare them to my boxer and the dachsund who are smart. They also don't see well when it's light out so that may make them appear more dumb then they actually are. But, they are very territorial. They grabbed the pants of an A/C repair man who was in the yard with me and would not let go and they scratched my nephew up and tried to pull him down to the ground because he was in the yard with my wife. I don't trust them around my daughter at all. It's like having two wild animals in my yard.

Yeah, mine are white and they are beautiful, but they aren't very smart. That could in part be because I compare them to my boxer and the dachsund who are smart. They also don't see well when it's light out so that may make them appear more dumb then they actually are. But, they are very territorial. They grabbed the pants of an A/C repair man who was in the yard with me and would not let go and they scratched my nephew up and tried to pull him down to the ground because he was in the yard with my wife. I don't trust them around my daughter at all. It's like having two wild animals in my yard.

Your 2 Catahoulas may seem dumb b/c they have not been allowed to "work". This will happen to many of the working breeds. They need lots of space to run, and need stimulation mentally.

IMHO, a Catahoula mix would not be a good townhouse dog. Look at the small dog rescue groups. We adopted a Yorkie a few years ago, and he was a righteous little dude. Until the day the pitbull next door dug under the fence, grabbed Buddy, and killed him right in front of my wife.

I have a rescue that is a Catahoula/something (possibly Shepherd) mix.

Catahoulas are loving, loyal dogs but earlier posters are right. They need daily exercise and are somewhat territorial to their pack so if you're not the "willing to go to the park or on walks and toss the tennis ball" and "willing to be assertive", there could be socialization problems with other dogs.

I think my girl is pretty smart (so I kind of disagree with Widge on that) but maybe I'm just blinded because she's mine. :hihi:

I would recommend not getting one without a yard but since I have no idea what you get (size wise) when you combine a Catahoula with a weenie dog, you probably want a second opinion on that.

My kids had a Catahoula/cocker spaniel mix several years ago. She was a very beautfiul dog with long black curly hair and blue eyes, but she, too, was the dumbest dog I ever saw.

Jan

I own two Catahoulas and one Dachsund, but I can't tell you anything about what happens when you mix them. FWIW, I can tell you that the Catahoulas are pretty mean and dumb as stumps. The Dachsund on the other hand is aggressive for her size, but smart and incredibly stubborn.

Well apparently you got some bad luck, because I've been around Catahoulas for years now and haven't come across a "dumb" one, as you put it, yet. In fact I would go as far as saying they are one of the more intelligent breeds out there. As far the other post about exercising for two hours a day, that just depends on the dog.. My catahoula has been trained to be mainly a house dog, she's basically a 55 lb lap dog, if I would let her on my lap. I walk her for about 30 minutes 4-5 times a week, but I just started doing this and she's 9 years old. I've never had any problems outside of your normal puppy training problems with her, and she is really smart, and I'm not just saying that because she is mine. She was born deaf yet I taught her sign language, she knows about 6-7 commands, I wouldn't call that a dumb breed.

The Weinie Dog in him will slow him down. You won't have the same high energy issues to deal with as a regular Cat hound.

But, if he did come out with the hound's energy level, with those little short legs he'd probably be spinning around in circles all day. He wouldn't go very far, that's for sure.

Well apparently you got some bad luck, because I've been around Catahoulas for years now and haven't come across a "dumb" one, as you put it, yet. In fact I would go as far as saying they are one of the more intelligent breeds out there. As far the other post about exercising for two hours a day, that just depends on the dog.. My catahoula has been trained to be mainly a house dog, she's basically a 55 lb lap dog, if I would let her on my lap. I walk her for about 30 minutes 4-5 times a week, but I just started doing this and she's 9 years old. I've never had any problems outside of your normal puppy training problems with her, and she is really smart, and I'm not just saying that because she is mine. She was born deaf yet I taught her sign language, she knows about 6-7 commands, I wouldn't call that a dumb breed.

I didn't say that every dog in the breed was dumb. I said my dogs were dumb and they are. Just like with people there can be significant variations in intelligence even within the same breed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom