HBOs The Newsroom (1 Viewer)

As the creator of the Hot or Not threads, I'm thinking you're a little bias.

...but then again so am I. Not just for obvious reasons either, her character is really well done.

Motorboat.jpg

I thought last nights episode was excellent. It really set up the story lines that they're going to go through this season.

Also sad that this is the final season but hopefully it's a good one.

Another good episode last night I thought. Not as fast paced as the season premier, but it ended with a lot of drama surrounding Neal. I'm also really enjoying the way they're handling the relationship between Don and Sloan. "I can't believe I'm being Don Keefered right now." Lol. Good stuff.

I read the attached article in Vanity Fair on how this season has been much better so far, and I agree on pretty much every point.

This is the last season of Aaron Sorkin’s HBO series The Newsroom. And that’s a shame, because after several stumbles and false starts, the show has finally found firmer footing. This isn’t an anomaly. Many shows find their way just as they’re headed out the door. (See the last season of Boardwalk Empire.) Who knows why Sorkin finally found the winning formula for his at times bombastic, at times idealistic telling of a modern newsroom? Was it just the artistic freedom of knowing that he was done? And not just done with The Newsroom, but potentially done with TV entirely? Maybe. But there's likely more at play here. Sorkin has spoken out recently about how he thinks both the show and his intentions have been misunderstood. If this third season is the show he intended to make all along, then I’m sorry it took three to get there. Here’s how Sorkin fixed The Newsroom in seven easy steps. Don’t miss out on its stellar swan song.

The Women Problem: The biggest problem with the show’s first two seasons was the odd, flibbertigibbet-type women who populated this company. Yes, Emily Mortimer’s Mac was occasionally good at her job, sure Olivia Munn’s Sloan was a force to be reckoned with. But more often than not, women were literally tripping over themselves, making a mess of their lives, and unable to operate basic technology. The worst case here was Alison Pill’s Maggie, who was nothing if not a problem for Jim (John Gallagher Jr.) and Will (Jeff Daniels) to solve.

How Aaron Sorkin Fixed The Newsroom in 7 Easy Steps | Vanity Fair

546a222b024277bb31eab12c_sloananddone.gif

It's a shame this is the last season and that many people either stopped watching or won't give it a chance now. They're missing some good TV.

Geez, the end of tonight's episode hurt my heart.

Me too!

Charlie deserved better than that. I know it's fictional and all, but I want to kick that little ******* Pruitt in the head. :rant:

Well, I guess there goes any hope of them changing their minds and keeping the show. I really love how they continually point out the media's hand in the dumbing down of America.

Not everyone loved all of the latest episode:

The Newsroom's Crazy-Making Campus-Rape Episode - The New Yorker

Emily Nussbaum: said:
Look, “The Newsroom” was never going to be my favorite series, but I didn’t expect it to make my head blow off, all over again, after all these years of peaceful hate-watching. Don’s right, of course: a public debate about an alleged rape would be a nightmare. Anonymous accusations are risky and sometimes women lie about rape (Hell, people lie about everything). But on a show dedicated to fantasy journalism, Sorkin’s stand-in doesn’t lobby for more incisive coverage of sexual violence or for a responsible way to tell graphic stories without getting off on the horrible details or for innovative investigations that could pressure a corrupt, ***-covering system to do better. Instead, he argues that the idealistic thing to do is not to believe her story. Don’s fighting for no coverage: he’s so identified with falsely accused men and so focussed on his sorrowful, courtly discomfort that, mainly, he just wants the issue to go away. And Don is our hero! Sloan Sabbith, you in trouble, girl.

Clearly, I’ve succumbed to the Sorkin Curse once again: critique his TV shows and you’ll find you’ve turned into a Sorkin character yourself—fist-pounding, convinced that you know best, talking way too fast, and craving a stiff drink. But after such an awful week, this online recap might be reduced to: Trigger warning. The season finale runs next week and thank God for that.

I thought that colloquy was interesting, but have to admit that I was also puzzling over the vague familiarity of the actress playing Mary, the victim/website owner: I finally had to pause the scene to go look it up and figure out she is Sarah Sutherland, who is (1) Julia Louis-Dreyfuss' daughter on Veep and (2) Keifer Sutherland's real life daughter. Not her fault but the celeb cameos are maybe a little distracting, as with the casting of Grace (not Mamie) Gummer as Hallie and Clea Duvall as "The Source."

What a terrible ending to what was ultimately a terrible show. It is a good thing they had good actors or the whole thing would have fell apart.

The whole last season felt rushed and crammed into the 6 episodes.

This. I liked the last season much better than the Genoa one that preceded it, but they rushed it. It would've been nice to get an extra 2 episodes to let some of it breathe and build to the finale.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom