Could Drew Brees be the next great Head Coach in the NFL

• Yes

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 42 40.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 13 12.4%

• Total voters
Has any multi-year starting QB gone on to be an NFL head coach later on?

Genuinely asking, because unless I'm forgetting someone obvious.....I can only think of career backup QBs like Kubiak, Payton, Garrett, etc.

Elway as GM is probably the closest we've seen.

Genuinely asking, because unless I'm forgetting someone obvious.....I can only think of career backup QBs like Kubiak, Payton, Garrett, etc.

Bart Star comes to mind. Not sure about Frank Reich but I believe he was pretty much a back-up with Buffalo for most of his career.

I think he might make a good coach. However don't see him doing that. See him being a business/ investor person. Him going from making 25 mill a year to a few mill a year as a Coach doesn't make sense and is a poor use of his time.

Drew has been setting himself up for post NFL for almost 5 years now

He owns several restaurants in NOLA; most everyone knows of his Jimmy Johns QSR

Let's be real -- he doesn't have even half the on camera acting ability of Manning. PM is a natural, Drew just isn't. I'm sure whatever DB decides to do will be carefully measured and he'll succeed at it.

Maybe head coach (not QB coach), but I see him more in a FO role like Elway.

I don’t think he would be a good coach. Sometimes when you understand a subject and have such a thorough knowledge of every nuance and insides and outs, you get very frustrated when you try to teach it and the person can’t see it like you and in your brain it makes so much sense but you cant put it in simple enough words for a normal to understand. Thats the trouble i had when i tried to teach math. I bet thats how he would be.

The questions suggests that, even were Brees to go into coaching and become "great," there would not be another great head coach before Brees.

However, becoming an NFL head coach requires many skills, a coaching apprenticeship, and hours even longer than Brees has put in. For a quarterback who has achieved everything he wanted to achieve and who will walk away from the game incredibly wealthy, it is highly unlikely that Brees wants to subject himself to the hours and stress and challenges of NFL coaching.

There is a reason that so few successful NFL coaches played the game at a reasonably high level, if they played professional football at all.

Bart Star

He loves the game enough that I could see him deciding this. Who knows though, maybe he’ll just decide to take all that money he’s made and just live the good life. I imagine him being a guy what decides he wants to develop his kids over developing football players.

I think he might make a good coach. However don't see him doing that. See him being a business/ investor person. Him going from making 25 mill a year to a few mill a year as a Coach doesn't make sense and is a poor use of his time.

I agree. I see Drew opening a chain of Tesla dealerships in California and also doing a buttload of TV analyst stuff. He'll also be banking on the Jimmy Johns and several other investments. He may buy the Saints (or join an investor group), which would be even better than him coaching!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom