Hot Seat Coaches - GW related (1 Viewer)

saints5021

Have Faith In Breesus
Reaction score
This is the end of the season and I am trying to get a consensus on which coaches will be let go. I know Williams has indicated he doesn't want to be a head coach right now, but the right offer could change his mind.

So by my count, the following coaches will not be retained:

1. John Fox (Panthers)
2. Jim Tomsula (49ers)
3. Eric Studesville (Broncos)
4. Marvin Lewis (Bengals)

The following are likely gone:
1. Gary Kubiak (Texans)
2. Eric Mangini (Browns)
3. Tony Sparano (Dolphins)
4. Jeff Fisher (Titans)

The following could be fired but are probably safe
1. Jason Garrett (Cowgirls)
2. Leslie Frazier (Vikqueens)
3. Chan Gailey (Bills)
4. Norv Turner (Chargers)
5. Jack Del Rio (Jaguars)
6. Tom Coughlin (Giants)

That is 14 coaches on the hot seat. I am pretty sure there will be at a minimum 7 vacancies. You can almost pencil Gruden to the 49ers and Cower to another team, so that leaves 5 for sure openings. I hope if GW does leave, he leaves when John Fox is still an option at DC. Thoughts?

Norv Turner is staying for 100% sure.
Garret is almost 100% staying.
Coughlin 100% staying

Kubiak is not 100% gone despite reports otherwise.

One name you can add to the hot seat list is Tom Cable of Oakland simply for the Al Davis factor. But Williams would never take that job anyway.

The one spot that concerns me involving Greg Williams is Tennessee.

Although when he interviewed for the DC job the second time around Bud Adams would not let him bring his son around like the Saints did, which was one of the main reasons he picked the Saints over Tennessee.

I would imagine that if Adams wanted him bad enough he would allow him to bring his son with him this time.

If Fisher is fired he will take one of those vacancies at another team. He's a quality coach that got stuck with a player he never wanted.

Here's what I hope doesn't happen.....GW to Carolina. I'd definitely won't Fox as our DC then. And don't say GW wouldn't go there...business is business. Though if GW did go there he better get a good OC in place. Panties need it.

You know, hypothetically if he goes to Tennessee, we play them next year...(Fujita situation part 2)

I recall GW was quoted before as saying he wouldn't take a job unless the QB was established and in place. That would make Houston and Denver viable destinations. The Bengals could be argued in the equation there. I remember him also saying that he wouldn't take a job where the chances for pretty quick results are slim. Why should he, he is in a great, well paid job where he is given a lot of freedom and already has a ring from it.

In fact, in searching for that quote, I found this two page thread on GW as a head coach on the Denver boards from after yesterday's game
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?p=3607127

Norv Turner is staying for 100% sure.
Garret is almost 100% staying.
Coughlin 100% staying

Garret is nowhere near 100% - did you hear Jones' comments Saturday night?

Coughlin is also nowhere near 100% of they miss the playoffs. Not even close.

I recall GW was quoted before as saying he wouldn't take a job unless the QB was established and in place. That would make Houston and Denver viable destinations. The Bengals could be argued in the equation there. I remember him also saying that he wouldn't take a job where the chances for pretty quick results are slim. Why should he, he is in a great, well paid job where he is given a lot of freedom and already has a ring from it.

In fact, in searching for that quote, I found this two page thread on GW as a head coach on the Denver boards from after yesterday's game
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?p=3607127

In addition to that, I remember GW stating that as long as Drew Brees is here, he will be too.

Garret is nowhere near 100% - did you hear Jones' comments Saturday night?

That's what I thought, too. JJ appeared to be hedging on Red Jesus and that was before the Cowboys choked in that game at the end. Garrett might still get the the job permanently anyway because the offense is definitely playing better and they can always go upgrade the DC position, but I don't think Jones has made up his mind just yet.

GW said on Sirius last night," That if he would have drafted Drew Brees in Buffalo. He would be freezing his *** off right now in upstate NY".

You know, hypothetically if he goes to Tennessee, we play them next year...(Fujita situation part 2)

No chance he goes to Tennessee. He has said he wants a QB that can win or be in a position to take a QB that he wants and that owner is in love with Vince Young.

Rumors have it that Mike Mularkey could be offered another head coaching gig as well. I don't know if he would take another head coaching job, but the possibility is out there.

this offseason will be CRAZY
GMs must be going nuts trying to figure out what's going to happen lockout-wise
i imagine they're going to tell themselves to play it conservative and don't make any big moves, then 2 or 3 teams and there becomes a firing/feeding frenzy and they start to freak out about not making a move for their fans and worrying that brad childress and mike ditka will be the only options left

GW to Tennessee is probably the biggest concern, but Tennessee's QB situation is unsettled. GW tried that once (in Buffalo) and has been vocal and explicit in considering that (an unsettled QB position) as being THE primary cause of his failure there.

Somewhere like New York (Giants) or San Diego (minus AJ Smith) would, clearly, be his ideal, but I wouldnt expect those jobs to be open. Meanwhile places like Carolina and Tennessee, while for sure or likely to be vacant and organizationally appealing, are recipes for short-term failure like Buffalo was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom