Hot take: Loomis will never fire Dennis Allen (29 Viewers)

I really don't know where all this stuff came from about Loomis having this giant ego and refusing to admit failure. A few people made the claim now it is an accepted narrative. It's am amazing object lesson in gaslighting.
I think it started with the kooky gum-chewing press conference where he pulled out a piece of paper and started talking about Tom Landry and Bill Walsh when asked about DA''s losing record, or maybe when he blamed visiting fans filling the dome on Saints fans being poor. Every time he opens his mouth recently he comes across as aggressive and dismissive of any complaints. Just my perspective.

While Loomis didn't hire Haslet he didn't have a problem rolling with him until post Katrina. By the time Loomis was GM (2002) Haslet was DA 2.0 without the playoff appearance. Haslet and DA are a couple of mid tier Defense coordinators pretending to be HC. Let's face it, it's the 2002-03 seasons all over again. BTW the other dome beat down was in 2003 at home vs the Colts (21-55). It's sad that we are returning to that depressing era.
But yes it took a natural disaster of epic proportions and a 3 win season to force a firing. I wouldn't get my hopes up that DA will be let go anytime soon.

Last edited:
I actually don’t think Dennis Allen is the problem. The problem is the injuries that seem to happen every year and the lack of talent. Whatever Sean and Mickey were doing to keep the roster fresh stopped working. Especially when you look at players like Cam Jordan who collecting a huge salary while players like Alvin are getting stiffed. Something went bonkers with this roster. We all know Howden does not belong on an NFL team. Id bring back PJ Williams if I could.

While Loomis didn't hire Haslet he didn't have a problem rolling with him until post Katrina. By the time Loomis was GM (2002) Haslet was DA 2.0 without the playoff appearance. Haslet and DA are a couple of mid tier Defense coordinators pretending to be HC. Let's face it, it's the 2002-03 seasons all over again. BTW the other dome beat down was in 2003 at home vs the Colts (21-55). It's sad that we are returning to that depressing era.
But yes it took a natural disaster of epic proportions and a 3 win season to force a firing. I wouldn't get my hopes that DA will be let go anytime soon.
But the makeup and mentality of the fanbase is different than it was in 04.
You have a fanbase that expects success.

Bobby Hebert is the only person in the media who has access to Mickey Loomis via the coaches show that has the stones to ask him tough questions. Part of this problem is the direct lack of media shame. You think Mickey Loomis doesn't get roasted every day if he uttered such stupidity in New York? Not only would the local beat roast him, ESPN would also roast him. Local media needs to step it up, he needs to be treated like Lee Zurik treats everyone he interviews, tough arse, big boy questions.

I just finished watching the Nola.com podcast with their sports writers and they all were very careful with their words when discussing the stupidity Mickey Loomis put out on WWL the other night.

Both need to go.
M. Loomis should have a better plan and should fired D. Allen when it was not working two years ago. You can not allow your franchise to sink this low and not do something.
Both are accountable and both should be fired.

Bobby Hebert is the only person in the media who has access to Mickey Loomis via the coaches show that has the stones to ask him tough questions. Part of this problem is the direct lack of media shame. You think Mickey Loomis doesn't get roasted every day if he uttered such stupidity in New York? Not only would the local beat roast him, ESPN would also roast him. Local media needs to step it up, he needs to be treated like Lee Zurik treats everyone he interviews, tough arse, big boy questions.
In NY, each pro team competes against each other for attention.
The Saints have zero competition in pro sports from here to Atlanta.

Accurate and yet the biggest determination of a coach keeping his job is the patience of the GM. The 3-4 year thing is standard but it's obvious that Loomis and Co don't work in a standard way all the way down to the salary cap. I detect Loomis has an unwavering belief in DA, at least for now and w/ the rash of injuries among other things, he's been provided w/ a built in excuse on why the team is currently underperforming.

I do think Loomis thinks DA can get it done and that's why he is unlikely to fire him during the season. But, I think if they only win 6 or 7 games Loomis is going to realize that it's not working and it's time to move on. But I do think he will get the season to turn it around.

I think it started with the kooky gum-chewing press conference where he pulled out a piece of paper and started talking about Tom Landry and Bill Walsh when asked about DA''s losing record, or maybe when he blamed visiting fans filling the dome on Saints fans being poor. Every time he opens his mouth recently he comes across as aggressive and dismissive of any complaints. Just my perspective.

No doubt he has said some dumb things since last year. That happens when things are going wrong because no even decent GM is going to throw his coach or his players under the bus. You praise them until the day you fire them. That's just how it is for a GM of a professional sports team. And frankly, Mickey has never really had to be in the spotlight before now because Payton was always the face of the organization. It's not at all surprising to me that a guy that use used to working behind the scenes and is a base a money guy is not good with the press or good at relating to fans.

But, I don't think that means he has a giant ego or refuses to admit he is wrong. 3 years is a pretty standard length of time to give a head coach to see if he is the right one even when they are struggling like DA. So I don't think it's unusual that DA is going to get 3 full years. And Mickey's alleged ego and refusal to admit he is wrong isn't really going to matter if it turn out that fans aren't buying tickets because at the end of the day Loomis is a money guy and the money, or lack there of, is going to speak to him and tell him what to do.

I think Mickey is a solid business GM, but his personnel evaluation skills are only as good as his scouts, director of scouting, and his head coach. In this case, I think the scouting and lack of a head coach with an eye for talent, or the ability to motivate talent, is costing him. Hopefully he realizes that a moves on from DA by the end of the year.

If he doesn't, I may join the chorus of people calling for his head to roll too.

Last edited:
I think it's highly possible if the Saints lose Thursday. Likely in fact. Otherwise, it will be at the end of the season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom