How Absurd Is A 40 Yard Dash Time? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Okay, so I hearing all these "draft guys" talking about how Daymeion Hughes is the most polished cornerback in the draft, but, he can't be a 1st round pick because he ran a 4.6 40 yard dash time. My question is, what separates 4.4 from 4.6? The answer is (.2) seconds over 40 yards. Or (.4) seconds over 80 yards. So you're telling me that the best cornerback in the draft can't be the highest picked, or even within the group of the highest picked because over 80 yards, he's less than a half-a-second slower than the faster yet less skilled corner standing next to him? Marques Colston ran a 4.5. He was pretty productive. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7. He's been pretty productive as well. And there are a ton of fast guys playing Arena ball or sitting on their couch because every year because teams get infatuated with "speed" guys instead of football players. I wouldn't mind one bit if Hughes was the pick in the first for the Saints. Not at all.

Okay, so I hearing all these "draft guys" talking about how Daymeion Hughes is the most polished cornerback in the draft, but, he can't be a 1st round pick because he ran a 4.6 40 yard dash time. My question is, what separates 4.4 from 4.6? The answer is (.2) seconds over 40 yards. Or (.4) seconds over 80 yards. So you're telling me that the best cornerback in the draft can't be the highest picked, or even within the group of the highest picked because over 80 yards, he's less than a half-a-second slower than the faster yet less skilled corner standing next to him? Marques Colston ran a 4.5. He was pretty productive. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7. He's been pretty productive as well. And there are a ton of fast guys playing Arena ball or sitting on their couch because every year because teams get infatuated with "speed" guys instead of football players. I wouldn't mind one bit if Hughes was the pick in the first for the Saints. Not at all.

This has been on my mind for a while and I agree with this post

0.2 seconds over 40 yards is reasonably big though. A guy who runs 4.6 will have ran only 38 yards when the 4.4 guy has run 40. That means on a 40 yard pass the slower corner is 2 yards behind. Say he has to cover a much taller receiver there is no way he can cover the long pass and makes him very easy to exploit.

>>Okay, so I hearing all these "draft guys" talking about how Daymeion Hughes is the most polished cornerback in the draft, but, he can't be a 1st round pick because he ran a 4.6 40 yard dash time. My question is, what separates 4.4 from 4.6? The answer is (.2) seconds over 40 yards. Or (.4) seconds over 80 yards. So you're telling me that the best cornerback in the draft can't be the highest picked, or even within the group of the highest picked because over 80 yards, he's less than a half-a-second slower than the faster yet less skilled corner standing next to him? Marques Colston ran a 4.5. He was pretty productive. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7. He's been pretty productive as well. And there are a ton of fast guys playing Arena ball or sitting on their couch because every year because teams get infatuated with "speed" guys instead of football players. I wouldn't mind one bit if Hughes was the pick in the first for the Saints. Not at all.

Then again, if you do the math, you would see that it's possible in a head to head race (not that that necessarily happens in football often), the difference between .2 seconds is slightly under 2 yards. 2 yards can be separation if someone is hit in stride.

>>Okay, so I hearing all these "draft guys" talking about how Daymeion Hughes is the most polished cornerback in the draft, but, he can't be a 1st round pick because he ran a 4.6 40 yard dash time. My question is, what separates 4.4 from 4.6? The answer is (.2) seconds over 40 yards. Or (.4) seconds over 80 yards. So you're telling me that the best cornerback in the draft can't be the highest picked, or even within the group of the highest picked because over 80 yards, he's less than a half-a-second slower than the faster yet less skilled corner standing next to him? Marques Colston ran a 4.5. He was pretty productive. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7. He's been pretty productive as well. And there are a ton of fast guys playing Arena ball or sitting on their couch because every year because teams get infatuated with "speed" guys instead of football players. I wouldn't mind one bit if Hughes was the pick in the first for the Saints. Not at all.

Then again, if you do the math, you would see that it's possible in a head to head race (not that that necessarily happens in football often), the difference between .2 seconds is slightly under 2 yards. 2 yards can be separation if someone is hit in stride.

That could be compensated for by playing five yards off? Or getting a bump at the line? Or safety help over the top. And, what's accounting for game-speed?

They should time these guys in full pads on grass and turf. Some would be much slower and others are hardly affected at all.

It doesn't seem like that much but you can tell the difference on the field the difference b/n a 4.4 guy and a 4.6 guy. It is significant. Now, this isn't to say that if a guy runs a 4.6 you shouldn't consider him. It's just a factor.

This is especially true bc timed speed does not always equal football speed. Even though some guys don't test as fast on the track, they're just as fast as anyone with all their pads on. This is one underrated aspect- they propable should test everyone with the pads on but they won't do it and then there would be questions about did that guy wear regulation gear etc. But it is something to consider when looking at times. And- quickness is just about as important as speed- so this has to be considered too. Although scouts and clubs factor this in, you won't hear ananalysts talk about this as much.

So, although speed is important, the 40 yard dash doesn't measure it perfectly. And- quickness is also important and measured by other tests (and the 10 yard split in the 40 time.)

To answer the question, it's not the least bit "absurd." It's a perfectly valid measure and point of comparison. Just like all the others.

As has been pointed out several different ways, .2 seconds IS significant with all else being equal. On a 10-yard slant, it's .4 yards, or just over a foot. Which can easily be the difference between breaking up the play or allowing a completion for a first down. Over 20 yards, it could be the difference between breaking up the play and missing altogether, allowing a HUGE play after the catch.

Sure, a lack of speed can be compensated for. But compensating for a weakness has its price too. Larger cushion = vulnerability underneath. Etc. etc. etc. Anyway you slice it, speed is an asset and lack thereof is a liability, all else remaining equal, which is how you have to make these comparisons.

How is it an accurate measure? It doesn't relate to football speed. It's an indicator, but not exact in any way. Furthermore, it doesn't relate to the type of athlete you are. A smoother athlete can probably get away with not having as much pure speed. And finally, it's not a track meet. Every game I've ever watched has had the players in pads and a helmet, not in track shoes & speedo's on a track. The equipment players use adds 10-20 pounds to their frame. The better question would be, how fast are you with all of that on.

maybe one day people will realize that 40 speed is just one of the speed measures, along with shuttle times and 3 cone times. another thing most people don't realize is that when they run the 40 most teams have guys timing their 10 and 20 yard times as well to see if the guy starts fast and levels out, or starts slow and gets fast at the end.

There are so many other variables involved in football speed versus a straight line 40 yard dash time (in shorts and a T-shirt) that its ridiculous to use 2/10's of a second to demonstarte the 2 foot separation 20 yards downfield.
Its apples and oranges.
CB/WR races begin 5 yards downfield, from a moving start.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom