How Absurd Is A 40 Yard Dash Time? (1 Viewer)

let me tell you a story about the 40 yard dash. i knew this guy once who was definitly the fastest person that i had ever met before. he was very short but solid for a guy his size and fast as anything. well one day we decided to see just how fast he was compared to football players, so we grabbed his dad's yardstick, measured off 40 yards and then got a stopwatch. the first 3 runs were like 4.1, 4.1, 4.2. So I figured something was wrong. we re-measured, checked the stopwatch against a clock to make sure it worked, and sure enough everything looked fine. so we had him line up and run one more. his time was 3.95. anyway, this story is getting boring. long story short, his dad had cut the yard stick off at 30 inches and no one had noticed.

Well they've done the test for decades now. If it was absurd and didnt mean anything then they would not do it.

Playing corner is not all about recognizing routes. That's just half the battle.

im not saying its absurd

thats the whole battle..if you cant anticipate a route i dont care what your 40 time is your missing one huge attribute of being a corner

0.2 seconds over 40 yards is reasonably big though. A guy who runs 4.6 will have ran only 38 yards when the 4.4 guy has run 40. That means on a 40 yard pass the slower corner is 2 yards behind. Say he has to cover a much taller receiver there is no way he can cover the long pass and makes him very easy to exploit.

I know I sound like a broken record, but game speed and straight line speed are not the same. Adrenaline makes the body react faster especially during a game. If I was a scout I wouldn't read too much into the 40 time. The shuttle time is a much better way of determining football speed because you have to change directions a lot.
:0007:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom