How good was Michael Thomas? This Good... (1 Viewer)

Don't forget his awareness also

I think at least twice another WR caught the ball, fumbled and Thomas comes out of nowhere to recover

Even if this is his ceiling that means he'll be great for the next decade

The possibility that he'll get better, maybe much better is downright scary

We know the top line numbers are excellent for anyone, much less a rookie.

92 receptions (on 122 targets), 1137 yards, and a whopping 9 TDs...in 15 games with another two that he was limited in. We know he passes every part of the eyeball test. Big, physical, fast, and is just at home catching a deep ball as he is a taking a slant for a first down.

But Football Outsiders gives an idea of just how high his ceiling is, forgoing total yard comparisons and instead using advanced analytics to come up with rankings that measure total efficiency and skill in a given situation, adjusted for opponents. First the breakdown of what they are doing. Then the rankings.

Michael Thomas ranks #2 in DYAR. The only WR above him is Julio Jones. His effective yards are pegged at 1,425 (2nd only to Jones at 1,515).

His catch rate of 76% was the best in the league of any WRs ranked (must have over 50 passes).

The projections and efficiency say we could very well have the next Julio Jones on our hands. It's not even a matter of him "getting better." Even at his current skill level, simply giving him more opportunities will result in top 5 WR production. But what if he does get better? Scary thought for opposing defenses.

(FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | WIDE RECEIVERS 2016)

I don't understand why folks keep coming back to SR.com during the offseason for stuff like this. After all, ...there's no news worth getting... oh, wait!

/sarcasm off

Great post by the OP. Thanks! :9:

:gosaints:

Thomas can be pound for pound the best physical wide receiver we have ever had. Eric Martin, to me was the toughest wide receiver I watched. He would take a good beating and had amazing hands. Just not fast or elusive enough. But Thomas can be that much more.

Love watching Eric Martin play. Good route runner, great hands, and yes...tough as nails, not to mention a class act. He is probably 2nd on my all-time favorite Saints WR list (behind Colston)

Great find Bonchie.

Interesting the Snead is also near the top of the list (23rd overall) and of those with less than 50 catches Brandon Coleman is ranked 4th.

Might have something to do with the guy throwing them the ball, but we do have some serious talent at WR.

Great find Bonchie.

Interesting the Snead is also near the top of the list (23rd overall) and of those with less than 50 catches Brandon Coleman is ranked 4th.

Might have something to do with the guy throwing them the ball, but we do have some serious talent at WR.

I was literately about to post this. This has to be some of the best talent we have put around Drew.

watching Michael Thomas play reminds me of watching Michael Irvin but without the attitude.

watching Michael Thomas play reminds me of watching Michael Irvin but without the attitude.

The way he catches the ball and uses his body looks a ton like Dez Bryant to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom