How long to wait for Williams? (1 Viewer)

My friends i am getting a bit worried.. i hope we dont make a mistake on this one..

Patience Daniel Sons... Many DC jobs are vacant because it's still the playoffs. Many teams want to interview coaches from the remaining teams, but they have prior obligations.

I tend to believe truckman when he says N.O. wants to interview McDermott. It just worries me that many other teams have him on their interview list as well.

If Williams does not want to be here then we should move on. This guy is waiting to see what happens in Tenn. b/f accepting the offer; what are the chances he stays with us if he is offered something better (other than a contract, which we still would not get his all). I would like someone who wants to be our DC 100%. It looks like Peyton and Loomis are willing to wait but I WISH we would reach out to other options. If we do not get McDermott or Williams (which could happen) we are back to square 1.:covri:

You can't afford to have that kind of attitude in the NFL. For the candidate, there's always a better gig. For the organization, there's always a better candidate. Candidate and organization only come together when better options, which always exist, aren't available or otherwise don't work out. That's just the way it works.

Williams would surely rather be a head coach. The Saints would surely rather Jim Johnson or [insert whoever you think is the best DC of all time]. But that ain't gonna happen. Both sides are surely aware of that and have to deal with that reality. Neither party benefits from letting pride get in the way because they're not each other's first/only choice.

And you can't let "this guy is going to leave as soon as something better comes along" get in the way. Because of course that's always gonna be the case. You can't expect a person to turn down a better offer when it comes along, and you can't delude yourself into thinking there's nothing better than being the Saints' DC.

It's just not realistic to expect to find somebody for whom being the Saints' DC is their life's goal. Hell, assistant coaching positions are by their very nature stepping stone positions, at least among the best and brightest.

It's perfectly reasonable for Williams to prefer the Tennessee gig, assuming it comes open. He's already been there, so there's a comfort level. He's already worked for Fisher. Not everybody thinks NOLA is the best city in the world. Williams probably still has friends and maybe family in Nashville. For all we know, he might still have a home there. Coaches are people too, and stuff like that factors in. Nothing at all wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong with a guy "settling" for the best gig available if the best gig period isn't available. That's true of 99.999% of the coaches in the league.

If Vitt ends up being our DC, I will throw up. Honestly, I don't know anything about the guy, except that our linebacker play the last 3 years has been average, at best, and stagnant (with the exception of Vilma this past year). Someone posted earlier that he would bring intensity to our defense, but I just don't see it. I haven't seen much intensity in our linebacker play, so why should I expect intensity from the whole defense if he becomes DC?

It appears that the correct answer is January 15th, 2009 at 9AM.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom