How Many Others Think Ty Montgomery will have a Surprising Impact on the Offense this Year? (1 Viewer)

he is one of the guys that really got hurt with a lack of preseason. I think coach will try to be creative with him and he may play heavily into a game plan at some point but there isn't the safe place to experiment this year so it won't be what it could have been.

Real interesting view - Thanks!

I woukdn't be surprised to see Trautman in that role.

If Trautman pans out, the weapons SP has are insane. Deonte Harris will highly likely play more of a Tyreek Hill role. Add Sanders. Add Trautman and a healthy Kamara and a Cook who synced with Brees is the 2nd half of the season and I wonder how defenses are going to double CGM. CGM in single coverage is simply wonderfully unfair!

I don't think he'll have any impact on this offense unless Kamara gets injured. Otherwise he really won't see the field.

Hell be a depth guy but I don’t see him getting many touches
Thomas
Sanders
Cook
Smith
Backup TE
Kamara
Murray
T. Hill
Then maybe him Or we could utilize a 4th receiver so he would be at best 9-10th in pecking order

Last edited:
I think he'll have an impact, but I don't think that is a surprising take for anyone who's seen him play.

I don't think he's as dynamic as you've dressed him up to be. He's definitely not a burner. His 40 was in the mid 4.5s coming out, and he's bulked up and a bit since then for RB purposes, and has been banged up as well, so I doubt he's any faster these days. He's got pretty good acceleration though, and is pretty agile, so he plays a little faster and finds open space more often than other 4.5 guys. Pretty similar to Kamara from that perspective, though he's not nearly as creative or hard to bring down (which is what makes Kamara so special).

He'll see some snaps at RB, primarily as a pass catcher, similar to Cadet (but a little better). The bonus he provides is in the event that if a WR goes down, he's a guy that can potentially fill the slot role, allowing pieces to be moved around. That flexibility is also a useful tool for Brees/Payton who like to utilize movement pre snap to probe the defense. He might be able to find a small niche in a few high impact gadget situations, where he is on the field at the same time with larger threats in the red zone, and the defense forgets about him or is forced into a poor matchup. For example, a 2 back set, with Kamara and Montgomery and Cook at TE, likely means that Montgomery will exploit a LB. Sean Payton has a tendency to get the most out of role players like that (Dan Arnold, Taysom Hill, Fullbacks, Cadet, etc), and isn't afraid to call their names in high impact situations.

Overall, he's a solid addition to the roster, and offers position flexibility, which is good to have in your backups.

deep down I think he will have an impact due to the fact he can be productive at any position we might need him throughout the season. I’m just tempering my expectations after CJ Spiller. I expected us to rush him 7-8 times a game and throw to him 4 or 5.
Hopefully Ty is smart enough for to pick this offense up quickly.

Hell be a depth guy but I don’t see him getting many touches
Thomas
Sanders
Cook
Smith
Backup TE
Kamara
Murray
T. Hill
Then maybe him Or we could utilize a 4th receiver so he would be at best 9-10th in pecking order
Exactly.

Not sure why anyone thinks he's getting enough touches to make an impact.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom