Saints I’m a homer: Guilty as charged. But this vid gave me a HARD dose of reality! (3 Viewers)

Sure they were, there were actually folks calling for CSP's head in the past.....but 2 things come to mind here:

1) The Saints under CSP (before Ryan got there) had already been to the NFC championship game twice, won the SB, and made the playoffs 4 straight seasons.....so at least to this Saints fan, he earned the right to have a few not so good seasons.....DA has earned nothing......
2) This tactic of somehow bringing up CSP when DA's shortcomings are put on display is getting really, really old.....and is just nonsensical......

IMO it goes way beyond offense and defense, it's CSP's ability to lead and create a solid team culture that gave us the best Saints teams we may ever see.......DA has been a big failure in that department IMO.....
I think you overvalue offense and undervalue defense. Doesn’t make you a bad poster or person, just means you and I see things differently. None of this stuff happens in a vacuum.

SP had the hot start where the offense took the league by surprise, went to an NFCCG… then promptly fell from that perch. Choosing not to acknowledge it is irrelevant; it happened. A losing record and a last-place finish in the division happened. They are real marks on SP’s ledger. They happened because the defense couldn’t support the offense enough, *and* the offense put up some duds in those seasons. Whether or not you want to believe it happened is of no consequence to me; it happened.

Thank heavens he wasn’t fired. He released his good friend and fellow ascendant coach, Gary Gibbs, which cleared way for an epic 3-year stretch we never would have believed possible. Whether you feel fourth place in 2008 should have gotten him fired or not is irrelevant; he was retained because that’s what this front office does. They give head coaches time to figure their stuff out instead of brazenly firing them. It doesn’t matter which candidates are out there, who the fanbase talks itself into, any of it. Even with the 7-win season dips, that’s the floor and has been for two decades now. Barrel-scrapers tend to stay that way because they constantly hop in and out of the coaching carousel.

Dennis Allen just got Pete Carmichael off his back. It’s as clear that PC limited the whole team’s potential as it was that Gary Gibbs had that same impact on the early-era Payton Saints. They went and got Vilma for Gibbs’ defense and it didn’t matter, they went and got Carr for Pete’s offense and it didn’t matter. All the rest of this stuff is overplaying the results.

I think you overvalue offense and undervalue defense. Doesn’t make you a bad poster or person, just means you and I see things differently. None of this stuff happens in a vacuum.

SP had the hot start where the offense took the league by surprise, went to an NFCCG… then promptly fell from that perch. Choosing not to acknowledge it is irrelevant; it happened. A losing record and a last-place finish in the division happened. They are real marks on SP’s ledger. They happened because the defense couldn’t support the offense enough, *and* the offense put up some duds in those seasons. Whether or not you want to believe it happened is of no consequence to me; it happened.

Thank heavens he wasn’t fired. He released his good friend and fellow ascendant coach, Gary Gibbs, which cleared way for an epic 3-year stretch we never would have believed possible. Whether you feel fourth place in 2008 should have gotten him fired or not is irrelevant; he was retained because that’s what this front office does. They give head coaches time to figure their stuff out instead of brazenly firing them. It doesn’t matter which candidates are out there, who the fanbase talks itself into, any of it. Even with the 7-win season dips, that’s the floor and has been for two decades now. Barrel-scrapers tend to stay that way because they constantly hop in and out of the coaching carousel.

Dennis Allen just got Pete Carmichael off his back. It’s as clear that PC limited the whole team’s potential as it was that Gary Gibbs had that same impact on the early-era Payton Saints. They went and got Vilma for Gibbs’ defense and it didn’t matter, they went and got Carr for Pete’s offense and it didn’t matter. All the rest of this stuff is overplaying the results.

WTF are you talking about?

Overvalue offense and undervalue defense? What kind of gibberish is that? You continue to compare the greatest HC in Saints history to......DA......its nonsense....

I think you overvalue HC's that haven't made the playoffs in 5 seasons/tries and has a career winning percentage of .343......

You either missed or ignored my point entirely, if DA had taken the Saints to the NFC championship game his 1st year we wouldn't be having this conversation, hell, if he just led them to the playoffs last year with a gift of a schedule in the worst division.....we wouldn't be having this conversation.....

CSP wasn't perfect but he proved early on he could take this team further than it had ever been.....

And just how sure are you that keeping PC around as long as they did wasn't DA's decision? Because that is a very distinct possibility.....

I like the comparisons you make and the mentioning of the patience of the front office.

I guess we will see if he can keep the Defense going and get more from the Offense with the addition of KK.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom