I hope Sean reads TMQ (1 Viewer)

fred8615

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Since there may be snow in Baltimore Sunday, he might want to take this under advisement:
Perhaps the collapse of the Metrodome was the football gods telling Brett Favre it's time to bronze his cleats. New England blowing Chicago off its own field in the snow -- what was the message there?
Partly it tells us Bill Belichick is smart to embrace the all-elements aspect of football. Even tough-guy NFL teams jog to their practice bubbles when the weather is foul; the Bears often practice indoors, in shorts, in December. New England has an indoor practice bubble, but Belichick rarely uses it. If the weather is freezing or rainy, that's what the Patriots practice in because that's what they need to be ready to play in. At New England, Belichick is 10-0 in games played in snow.
Partly this tell us that by practicing outside, Belichick has learned the dynamics of bad-weather football. In snow, it's hard to rush the passer, because defensive linemen cannot get traction. Twice in the first half, Flying Elvii facing third-and-long, I counted, "One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four, one thousand five," with no rusher near Brady as he threw for the first down.
This tells us you shouldn't be afraid to throw in snow: Bring a passing game plan, as Belichick brought to Chicago. Tom Brady threw 40 times for 27 completions and 369 yards, as if the game had been played on a flawless California blue-sky day. By halftime, New England held a 193-14 passing-yards lead, and the second half should have been canceled to let the crowd go home. In snow, when footing is bad, it's difficult to change direction -- so throw down the middle. Don't throw sideways patterns like outs, and forget sweeps and tosses. Guess what the Patriots did, and guess what the Bears did.
In 2009, New England hosted Tennessee in a blizzard. The Titans clearly assumed, "In bad weather you must run." New England threw 28 times in the first half -- mostly down the middle -- versus 12 rushes, while Tennessee ran more than it threw. The Patriots led 45-0 at halftime. I looked at some tape of the 2009 snow game: Change the opponent's uniform colors, and it might have been Sunday's contest. The Bears came out running and lined up to stop the run. They clearly assumed, "In bad weather you must run." In rain usually it's best to run; in snow, it's best to throw. Patriots coaches and players were prepared not just for bad weather but for the type of bad weather. This is coaching that leaves nothing to chance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...1214_tuesday_morning_quarterback&sportCat=nfl

Yeah, like anything from blizzard to monsoon is going to keep Payton from throwing the ball. Unless a guy is absolutely on fire in the running game or we're up big, we're going to throw more than run.

I don't know if SP reads TMQ, but you can bet he pays attention to what the Patriots have been doing to own anyone and everyone in this situation.

Yeah, like anything from blizzard to monsoon is going to keep Payton from throwing the ball. Unless a guy is absolutely on fire in the running game or we're up big, we're going to throw more than run.

Exactly. I was in the stands in 08 at the Tampa monsoon game. I thought the dang pirate ship was going to float away. And they still threw the ball 47 times.

To be fair, weren't we also running for like two yards a pop? Both unattractive options. Even with a ridiculous amount of RB injuries, we're a much more effective running team now.

I can see the theory, but wen we went to Chicago in 2006, they were able to rush the passer.

That's why we lost.

They were better up front then, and we were worse. But the weather in and of itself did not provide any equalizer to us.

I think Soldier field is just a different animal, and when we went up there in 2006, the field was wet and nasty. If it just snows, then most likely, you have a frozen field, which really does work to the offense's advantage. That slop at Soldier field, when wet, slows a fast O down like ours, and causes us to lose the strength of our offense, which is passing. That's why I'd prefer that Chicago not make the playoffs all together, for fear (not of that team), that we might have to go there and play on their terrible field.

Wet and/or Wind = Saints have issues
Anything else - we're good.

:17:

Hopefully Sean doesn't read this, otherwise, he'll see the whole "no running sweeps, tosses, and outs" and try to prove them wrong

Which means by Payton's standards we should see Chris Ivory throw a pass this weekend

I think Soldier field is just a different animal, and when we went up there in 2006, the field was wet and nasty. If it just snows, then most likely, you have a frozen field, which really does work to the offense's advantage. That slop at Soldier field, when wet, slows a fast O down like ours, and causes us to lose the strength of our offense, which is passing. That's why I'd prefer that Chicago not make the playoffs all together, for fear (not of that team), that we might have to go there and play on their terrible field.

Wet and/or Wind = Saints have issues
Anything else - we're good.

:17:

Thanks! I came to post this same idea. Plus.... we lost because Jason David and Fred Thomas could not cover a receiver to save their life.

YOu know Payton is watching that NE/CHI game right now on his DVR at home.

Thanks! I came to post this same idea. Plus.... we lost because Jason David and Fred Thomas could not cover a receiver to save their life.

Jason David wasn't on that team. He was signed in that offseason.

It was 2007 that he couldn't cover to save his life. :hihi:

but i think the type of passing game is important too
we run lots of timing routes, and planting and cutting would be effected, obviously
so moore and even meachem (and henderson) well and reggie too, are effected most
i guess colston, shockey, and ivory carry the load - i'm also gonna say d. thomas gets an above average of throws (as a southern/miami boy not sure how graham reacts to the weather)

anyone know what type of routes the pats ran against chicago?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom