I think retirement is a pipe dream... (1 Viewer)

That’s the biggest crock of **** ive ever heard in my life .

Even bigger than this 8.6 meter crock?!?!

1676687346653.jpeg

"Krystyna 'Krys' Pawlowski had been crocodile hunting for two years when she shot the 8.6-metre monster in 1957 on the McCarther Bank in the Norman River, Queensland."

I don’t understand anyone who “gets bored” with retirement and needs to do something. Sitting in a chair and staring at some trees all day beats working. What, you people don’t have The Office streaming where you live? I took an edible the other day and just watched TV for like an hour before I figured out how to turn it on. And it was great. Retirement is going to rock.

Same here, I have so many interests....fishing, hiking, music, golf (if I ever get my game back from the depths), outdoors in general, cooking.....also love reading....I never run out of stuff to do....life is good.....
That’s the biggest crock of **** ive ever heard in my life .

Same here, bad advice from a fairy tale book.....

...I never run out of stuff to do....life is good.....
Yup. And the amazing thing is that, aside from the grandkids, sometimes it’s hard for me to specifically relate what all it is I do that eats up my time.

And, into my 8th year of retirement, that’s still totally cool with me.

The Bible commands everyone to work, so the goal shouldn't be to retire as soon as possible
Once my genius can be committed to sitting peacefully and quietly on a porch and staring at a creek full time, I have no doubt the wisdom and enlightenment gained will be a beacon for humanity.

Last edited:
Since about age 40 I've figured that "retirement" for me will be forced and by the time I make it there I'll no longer be physically able to enjoy it. What money I do have set aside will be spent sustaining my meager existence while I find a part time job in order to pay for whatever "luxuries" I have.

I see a lot of older guys that I know can afford to retire and they just keep on working. I just don't get that mentality. I could walk away from work right this second and find tons of things to do with my time.

Yup. And the amazing thing is that, aside from the grandkids, sometimes it’s hard for me to specifically relate what all it is I do that eats up my time.

And, into my 8th year of retirement, that’s still totally cool with me.

I have always heard that there are two types of retired people - 1) the type that gets bored within a couple of months, struggles to find “purpose”, and winds up returning to work or starting a new business… and 2) those who are so busy/preoccupied in retirement that they cant imagine how in the world they ever found the time or energy to hold down a full-time job before…. I am not even retired yet, but i know beyond the shadow of a doubt that i am the very personification of the second type .. I have so much other stuff i like doing in my personal life- even if it’s just goofing off and posting on SaintsReport- that it truly annoys me whenever i have to take time to do actual work . :hihi:

I have always heard that there are two types of retired people - 1) the type that gets bored within a couple of months, struggles to find “purpose”, and winds up returning to work or starting a new business… and 2) those who are so busy/preoccupied in retirement that they cant imagine how in the world they ever found the time or energy to hold down a full-time job before…. I am not even retired yet, but i know beyond the shadow of a doubt that i am the very personification of the second type .. I have so much other stuff i like doing in my personal life- even if it’s just goofing off and posting on SaintsReport- that it truly annoys me whenever i have to take time to do actual work . :hihi:
Yeah, I am totally the second type.

Let me assure you that I am a third type who will not A) be bored or B) busy/preoccupied in retirement.

I doubt that I'll retire by choice. Two divorces chopped my 401k in half, twice. I had a stent put in at 51 and two veins in my legs glued shut last month. My maternal grandmother died at 52 with a bad heart. I have my problems. My 33 year old half brother is the picture of fitness except for the bad heart that caused his doctor to say that he'd be lucky to live into his 50's.

Despite that, I'm putting the equivalent of a full-time, minimum wage job in my 401k because I might goof around and live, or become disabled and need it. Both of my parents became disabled (Dad Fibromyalgia/Mom mini strokes) before they could retire. If I don't live, my 35 year old half-sister will get the 401k, life insurance, and house. With that, and what she has, retirement will be possible for her, and her fiancee.

I doubt that I'll retire by choice. Two divorces chopped my 401k in half, twice. I had a stent put in at 51 and two veins in my legs glued shut last month. My maternal grandmother died at 52 with a bad heart. I have my problems. My 33 year old half brother is the picture of fitness except for the bad heart that caused his doctor to say that he'd be lucky to live into his 50's.

Despite that, I'm putting the equivalent of a full-time, minimum wage job in my 401k because I might goof around and live, or become disabled and need it. Both of my parents became disabled (Dad Fibromyalgia/Mom mini strokes) before they could retire. If I don't live, my 35 year old half-sister will get the 401k, life insurance, and house. With that, and what she has, retirement will be possible for her, and her fiancee.
Indeed. Genetic luck has a lot to do with it. Prayers up that you break the mold!!

Let me assure you that I am a third type who will not A) be bored or B) busy/preoccupied in retirement.
Just curious -- what does that 3rd type look like fo you?

.. I have so much other stuff i like doing in my personal life- even if it’s just goofing off and posting on SaintsReport- that it truly annoys me whenever i have to take time to do actual work . :hihi:
I think one reason I'm never bored is that I started adulting at such a young age that I "waste" a lot of time doing childish things that I felt I never got a chance to finish as a kid/young adult.

I think one reason I'm never bored is that I started adulting at such a young age that I "waste" a lot of time doing childish things that I felt I never got a chance to finish as a kid/young adult.

That’s an interesting point.. im kinda similar, in that i sort of grew up with my own parents, who were very young when they had me.. and they were divorced , so that made me grow up quickly as well; I always felt burdens that maybe other kids didnt feel.. later, i had a half-brother who is roughly a decade and a half younger than me, and i found myself having to take on some parental stuff, like picking him and dropping him off from daycare when i was in high school, and shuffling him around on weekends to soccer practice and stuff.. that might be one reason ive never had kids, is that i feel like i kind of already did it at a young age… and i , too, never ever seem to get bored .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom