Ian Book: How do you like the pick? (1 Viewer)

How do you like the Ian Book pick?

• Love it

Votes: 90 23.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 60 15.3%
  • Too Soon to Tell

Votes: 114 29.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 67 17.1%

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • Don’t like

Votes: 24 6.1%

• Total voters
I think the Saints identified Book as definitely not making it to #28 in the 6th round and the only QB left who might develop into a starter. The analyst complaints are that the Saints could have waited another round. With no 5th round pick, I don’t think that was an option.

I speculate 2 teams with multiple picks ahead of our 6th could have targeted Book if we didn’t pick him with our 4th:
- Atlanta: 4 picks
- Minn: 4 picks

I think the Saints identified Book as definitely not making it to #28 in the 6th round and the only QB left who might develop into a starter. The analyst complaints are that the Saints could have waited another round. With no 5th round pick, I don’t think that was an option.

I speculate 2 teams with multiple picks ahead of our 6th could have targeted Book if we didn’t pick him with our 4th:
- Atlanta: 4 picks
- Minn: 4 picks
Yeah, I tend to think he wouldn't have made it past the 5th. And we're in need of a backup QB anyway, so, if he turns out to be better than a backup qb, then it's all lagniappe beyond that.

In my old age, I'm slowly coming around to the Patriots' "Draft QBS More Often" Philosophy. One reason, is you will always have a decent option, on a cheap, rookie deal, in case injuries strike. I think someone who has been practicing with the team would be more likely to be successful than a street free agent, signed and expected to start. Second reason, is if they show flashes, you have options. Could trade them to QB starved teams for more than what you paid to draft them, or trade the current starter for a huge payday if the young guy really does have "the stuff." How many QBs has NE drafted, developed, and then shipped off at a profit? Also, think about the current situation in Green Bay. Just saying, I'm starting to come around on this idea. No clue what Book will turn out to be on the scale above, but I like the investment/gamble.

I don't think Book was drafted with the intention of being a career backup. I don't think any QB is ever envisioned that way.
I watched several of his games and I am not seeing some of the negative comments about Book. It is actually hard to tell because he was under constant pressure on nearly every play. It was hard to gauge accuracy when he is running all over the place.

---

I don't think Book was drafted with the intention of being a career backup. I don't think any QB is ever envisioned that way.
I watched several of his games and I am not seeing some of the negative comments about Book. It is actually hard to tell because he was under constant pressure on nearly every play. It was hard to gauge accuracy when he is running all over the place.

---

Certainly the hope and intent is for him to become good enough to be a starter at some point, but realistically, he's still raw, and probably will be the backup for his first couple of years.

Certainly the hope and intent is for him to become good enough to be a starter at some point, but realistically, he's still raw, and probably will be the backup for his first couple of years.
I had mentioned earlier, this year could have many many surprises. A Taysom Hill injury, whether starting or not could thrust him into #2. A Winston crashing could have Book #2 and if Hill was starting and got injured, he could realistically see snaps at #1 if he has beat out Siemian. It will be a year, that is for sure.

That’s coach hype.

Book is a crapshoot at best. His expectations is to compete against Siemens and probably lose. Then, be regulated to PS. Hopefully, next year... He can make the 52.
There’s absolutely no reason to keep Siemian; Winston, Hill and Book each bring something unique to the table.

At first, I didn’t really even acknowledge the pick. I thought to myself, maybe practice squad guy for a couple of years, maybe a backup that inactive 95% of the games, then gone after year 3 and forgotten about until brought up as a joke. It’s only a fourth and it’s not like you hit on every pick.

(Warning! The following “Studied” implies highlights, not lowlights or game film)

Then the more I studied Ian Book, the more I like about him. He moves up in the pocket as a first option before he runs. Seems to have good pocket awareness. Pretty good accuracy and his arm is decent enough to still stretch the field. Also, he’s smart with the ball and will not beat you with mistakes constantly

His running ability is a plus but he doesn’t rely on it which is good because I don’t think he’ll ever a scrambler in the nfl.

Just my own opinions.
He's going to see the field sooner than people believe.

There’s absolutely no reason to keep Siemian; Winston, Hill and Book each bring something unique to the table.
Siemen got starting experience. Book doesn't. That's the most important skill to the table.

I don't suspect he will. I think that Winston will eventually win the starting role. My guess is Book will be the "#2" in case of injury with Hill being a long term replacement in case of injury. Then again, once TC starts who knows what will happen.

----

In my old age, I'm slowly coming around to the Patriots' "Draft QBS More Often" Philosophy. One reason, is you will always have a decent option, on a cheap, rookie deal, in case injuries strike. I think someone who has been practicing with the team would be more likely to be successful than a street free agent, signed and expected to start. Second reason, is if they show flashes, you have options. Could trade them to QB starved teams for more than what you paid to draft them, or trade the current starter for a huge payday if the young guy really does have "the stuff." How many QBs has NE drafted, developed, and then shipped off at a profit? Also, think about the current situation in Green Bay. Just saying, I'm starting to come around on this idea. No clue what Book will turn out to be on the scale above, but I like the investment/gamble.
I’ll add that I think Edge, OTs & CBs should also be in the “draft VERY often” category. These 3 positions are just so critical to success in today’s game that it is virtually impossible to have too many young and talented ones on your roster.
At worst, it allows you to let guys who want to chase money leave when the time is right and keeps you out of a certain amount of bad salary cap situations. At best, elite players at these positions allow you to dominate lesser teams due to the much greater influence these positions can have on games than others.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom