If Carr plays Sunday this could be the turning point for the O-line (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Extra motivation to keep your QB as clean as possible if he’s putting it on the line.

Sometimes the threat of something catastrophic is enough to energize a group. If I’m DA not only am I playing Carr if he can go, I’m challenging the offensive line and the playcaller to do what it takes to keep Carr upright and clean this game.

Yeah I’ve been hoping that Sunday was a wake up call, come to Jesus moment for them. But deep down I'm still pretty pessimistic as it seems to be an issue with the entire OL, so I fear it’s a coaching and scheme issue and it makes me worry they won’t really be able to “get right” so to speak. Hoping I’m wrong there for sure!

Carmichael has to call more quick timing pass plays to help out his QB. Get the ball to AK in space as much as possible when he’s alone in the flats. Utilize the short-intermediate passing game to the TEs, RB, Thomas and Olave, instead of forcing the QB to wait for deeper routes to develop on majority of plays.

Keeping whoever’s the starting QB clean from unnecessary hits with better protection starts with the OC’s playcalling. It really shouldn’t be that hard to implement the quick passing gameplan again if they want to keep the QBs healthy.

You beat me to it. I was literally thinking earlier if carr plays I bet the oline dominates, if not they should be embarrassed and all 5 of them benched. They should take it personal

You going to argue Penning, or most of our O-line hasn't been constantly beaten up, run over, or blown by opposing LB's or DE's to sack our QB's the past two seasons or pretend I magically said something else?

You going to argue Penning, or most of our O-line hasn't been constantly beaten up, run over, or blown by opposing LB's or DE's to sack our QB's the past two seasons or pretend I magically said something else?
Lol he’s reading ‘blown by’ in another context.

That's quite an indictment for someone who has never met these men. To ascribe stupidity or arrogance simply from watching them play against some of the most highly-skilled athletes on the planet on the other side of the line is a pretty overly-assumptive and arrogant assertion yourself.
This!

blown by opposing LB's or DE's

I’m not going to argue anything. You must have been watching a camera angle I couldn’t see.

Lol he’s reading ‘blown by’ in another context.
It's not exactly like anyone who's serious or who's been watching this team play regularly for the past two seasons and hasn't noticed our O-line is porous and pathetic mostly can argue or claim otherwise.

That's a strange thing, too, Freud. That their performance has gotten so bad and so terrible that I've openly begun saying on this public online sports Internet forum that I openly dislike one of our O-linemen, in particular. I admit it, it's petty and irrational to form a personal dislike for one Saints player Ive never met and never will just because so far, in his capacity as a Saints O-linemen, he's been awful, and inept that it turns to me start to dislike him. He's probably a good, decent person just hasn't been good for us in context of being a decent O-linemen, so far at least.

Last edited:
It's not like exactly like anyone who's serious or who's been watching this team play regularly for the past two seasons and hasn't noticed our O-line, is porous and pathetic mostly can argue or claim otherwise.

That's a strange thing, too, Freud. That their performance has gotten so bad and so terrible that I've openly begun saying on this public online sports Internet forum that I openly dislike one of our O-linemen, in particular. I admit it, it's petty and irrational to form a personal dislike for one Saints player Ive never met and never will just because so far, in his capacity as a Saints O-linemen, he's been awful, and inept that it turns to me start to dislike him. He's probably a good, decent person just hasn't been good for us in context of being a decent O-linemen, so far at least.
I’m frustrated by their play too. Not judging you or even putting my hat in this ring. Was just explaining that the phrasing is making some joke.

I get this logic, I'd hope it would light a fire under the guys if he plays.

But I hope he doesn't. Just not a very smart idea to not only play through pain but to do it without any reps. When Drew did that he was in his 9th year of this offense. In addition to him not needing the practice reps, the guy was just not very human. He probably simulated the game in his head like 23 times between Friday and kickoff.

Even if it's just pain tolerance and no further risk of injury, I just don't know if it would help us.

Here's another point about assessing the O-line. Sure, guys get beat in one-one matchups, but so much also depends on everyone on the o-line being on the same page. A guy may whiff on a block, but was someone else supposed to chip or provide help? Z-blocking schemes also rely on a lot of working together as a group.

So the problem goes beyond just not winning one-on-one matchups, it's also working in sync and getting in rhythm. It hasn't helped, too that the QBs have looked for chunk plays--I suspect pushing the ball downfield was an off-season emphasis, but put simply, the O-line has not held up enough to get more of those plays.

PC needs to disprove the doubters by scheming better to get the ball out faster to the playmakers. Marrone needs to coach these guys up on their techniques better.

Put simply, there are a lot of problems too clean up, and it's not one one person or group.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom