If you could only sign one gigantic contract..... (1 Viewer)

Because as great as Brees & Peyton are, you still were a 7-9 team for several years in a row before MT then Kamara joined the Saints.
They had an impact, but the bigger distinction was in the improvement of the defense and that overall amazing 2017 draft class. When you make that statement remember that CGM came in the year before (and made Cook expendable). The year we improved we drafted - all starters - Lattimore, Ramczyk, Williams, Kamara, and Anzalone. With BU DE Hendrickson.

We also signed a pot full of defensive FAs that contributed. It was a complete defensive make over.

While there is no denying the impact of AK41 and Ram, the impact was likely felt more on the defensive side of the ball. The offense has never been less than playoff caliber ( IIRC top 5 in every year but the one they were 6th) & on-the-field improvement of the defense was huge.

Last edited:
I have always been on Coach Payton side even when most were starting to turn on him after some 7-9 seasons. I’ll entertain the question and it’s Coach Payton no doubt. I think the Saints need to keep Loomis/Ireland/Payton in place until these guys retire. I would be willing to give Payton a Gruden type of contract or something similar. Maybe an opt out somewhere in the deal. I think it would be a huge mistake to let Coach Payton ever be on the sidelines for another NFL team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom