Is Detroit looking at Chase Young? [ESPN’s Dan Graziano SUGGESTS Lions should look at Chase Young] (8 Viewers)

i thought this guy was going to beast for the Saints but so far he's turned out to be weak
He hasn't turned out to be weak. He has played well against the run and has done well pressuring the QB. At his age, I would not give him away for nothing.

Hasn't been as impactful He's a menace as a one on one, beat my man guy in practice, but forced to play the game within the game, and make plays behind LOS etc...he looks lost. Granderson is far more of a complete player, not even close.

Still, even Granderson has regressed in a way and I think that falls on the Dline coach similar to last years oline struggles falling on Marrone

In fact, now that I'm looking at it, looks like Young has played majority of his snaps as RDE w/ Granderson playing more snaps at LDE in front of Cam. That explains why he's not making the plays in the run game he was making last year. He's out of position.

I'm no Guru, but I truly think the Saints would be wise to put Granderson back at RDE, let Chase Young walk, move Bresee to LDE in somewhat of a JJ Watt role, and then add better talent at NT than they have w/ Bink. Meanwhile Nathan Shepherd has been playing Right DT a lot and getting blown off the ball, move him to LDT as more of a 3tech in Bresees old spot, let him make some plays instead of being asked to stop the run.

IDK, the Dline coach is still the one who makes most of the suggestions about what guys, can and cannot do, I'm just incredibly unimpressed w/ Todd Grantham to this point.
I think young lacks football instincts.

He bit on jet action going away from him and just gave up contain on a quick toss to one of Tampa's RB on Sunday, and he stood there in the middle of the play looking around confused like a defensive player in a football movie would do as the misfit team of underdogs run the trick play to win the game as the official shoots a gun in the air as time expires.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm pretty sure he was the last guy on the D to figure out where the ball was, which shouldn't have mattered because he (very likely) should have been the force player.

Hasn't been as impactful He's a menace as a one on one, beat my man guy in practice, but forced to play the game within the game, and make plays behind LOS etc...he looks lost. Granderson is far more of a complete player, not even close.

Still, even Granderson has regressed in a way and I think that falls on the Dline coach similar to last years oline struggles falling on Marrone

In fact, now that I'm looking at it, looks like Young has played majority of his snaps as RDE w/ Granderson playing more snaps at LDE in front of Cam. That explains why he's not making the plays in the run game he was making last year. He's out of position.

I'm no Guru, but I truly think the Saints would be wise to put Granderson back at RDE, let Chase Young walk, move Bresee to LDE in somewhat of a JJ Watt role, and then add better talent at NT than they have w/ Bink. Meanwhile Nathan Shepherd has been playing Right DT a lot and getting blown off the ball, move him to LDT as more of a 3tech in Bresees old spot, let him make some plays instead of being asked to stop the run.

IDK, the Dline coach is still the one who makes most of the suggestions about what guys, can and cannot do, I'm just incredibly unimpressed w/ Todd Grantham to this point.
Granderson has NOT regressed. Last year within the first 4 games, we had 40 pressures TOTAL. This year within the first 4, we have 70 just between Chase and Granderson.

Better to re-sign him for a cheap deal. We have no one else. This team can’t draft good pass rushers because they have a type. A big oversized type. And we still can’t stop the run. Need to clear the FO. Let King Loomis keep his job because he’s king and Gayle needs him fr. But fire ireland. Also keep the bean counter bc he’s awesome. But we need new personnel guys.

Granderson has NOT regressed. Last year within the first 4 games, we had 40 pressures TOTAL. This year within the first 4, we have 70 just between Chase and Granderson.
That's why I said "in a way". I didn't look at his pressure stats, I was talking more about his impact as a run defender. Granderson knifed through a lot of plays last year as a run defender and blew up a lot of plays. Haven't seen it from him as much, and yet now that I see he's been playing more LDE it makes sense because he's having to deal w/ TE's more.

We moved Chase to the easier side of the ball @RDE to minimize his responsibilities and he's just not been as impactful in totality as Granderson was last year, and Granderson hasn't been as impactful in totality as he was last year.

Trade him if we can get a decent pick for him. He hasn't impressed me enough to get an extension. I remember one specific play on Sunday where I was watching Chase to see how he was doing. He stopped rushing shortly after the snap so I thought "They must be running to the other side." Nope.....Baker was in the pocket.

He hasn't turned out to be weak. He has played well against the run and has done well pressuring the QB. At his age, I would not give him away for nothing.

I agree. I don't think he's ever going to be the player everyone though he would be coming out of Ohio State but he's a useful DE that does okay against the run and gets pressure but needs to get home more. He's not worth huge money, but if they could get something done in the range of Granderson's money or a little less, I'd sign him to a two or three year deal to set the floor for our DEs. We don't have any other DEs besides Granderson so he makes sense to keep so that we don't have to reach or trade up for a DE in the draft.

At the same point if someone offered a 3rd for him, I'd take it if we don't think we can get a deal done with him for the right money.

Trade him if we can get a decent pick for him. He hasn't impressed me enough to get an extension. I remember one specific play on Sunday where I was watching Chase to see how he was doing. He stopped rushing shortly after the snap so I thought "They must be running to the other side." Nope.....Baker was in the pocket.

I don't think he's great, but we only really have one other starting DE and I'm not sure we will be able to replace that in free agency in the offseason. If we don't bring Young back, or sign another starting DE, we will be forced to reach for one in the draft or trade up for one and that has not worked well for us in the past.

I don't think he's great, but we only really have one other starting DE and I'm not sure we will be able to replace that in free agency in the offseason. If we don't bring Young back, or sign another starting DE, we will be forced to reach for one in the draft or trade up for one and that has not worked well for us in the past.

We’re going to have to draft one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom