Is drafting a RT at 14 the right value? (1 Viewer)

This draft is deep in Tackles. Don’t necessarily have to grab your guy at 14. I wouldn’t go past second round though because I’m sure at some point there will be a run on tackles. 14 needs to be the best player available. If it’s one of the elite receivers so be it we need the help. We not close to good in the receiver room. If it’s Brock Bowers or Dallas Carter you take him and don’t think twice. If it is the tackle then you take him. Best player available.

Also we should be very active for a respectable tackle in free agency and another quality guard so it don’t all fall on the draft.

It's an interesting question. Would you rather have?:

A) Fashanu(or other) + McConkey/Coleman/Wilson/Pearsall/Legette/etc

B) Brian Thomas Jr + Morgan/Paul/Guyton/Sumataia/etc
I think there’s a bigger gap between Brian Thomas Jr. and Day 2 WRs, Bowers and next set of TEs, more than Fuaga/Fautanu and Mims, Suamataia and Guyton. Thomas Jr. and Bowers would be the BPA picks at 14 if either one are there.

Suamataia, Mims and Guyton are 1st round OT talent or starting OTs who’ll likely be there at 45 because of the number of 1st round OTs evaluated ahead of them. Legette is more of a fringe 1st round WR who could be there in the early 2nd but no guarantee he’d last until mid 2nd at our pick.

Pearsall and McConkey looks like they could be potentially over-drafted in the earlier 2nd round due to their lack of size and low production. They don’t look like starting WRs/WR2s enough for that range imo. They arguably shouldn’t be taken until late 2nd or 3rd. Sweat, Trice, an OT or DB would probably be better picks than them at 45.

I think there’s a bigger gap between Brian Thomas Jr. and Day 2 WRs, Bowers and next set of TEs, more than Fuaga/Fautanu and Mims, Suamataia and Guyton. Thomas Jr. and Bowers would be the BPA picks at 14 if either one are there.

Suamataia, Mims and Guyton are 1st round OT talent or starting OTs who’ll likely be there at 45 because of the number of 1st round OTs evaluated ahead of them. Legette is more of a fringe 1st round WR who could be there in the early 2nd but no guarantee he’d last until mid 2nd at our pick.

Pearsall and McConkey looks like they could be potentially over-drafted in the earlier 2nd round due to their lack of size and low production. They don’t look like starting WRs/WR2s enough for that range imo. They arguably shouldn’t be taken until late 2nd or 3rd. Sweat, Trice, an OT or DB would probably be better picks than them at 45.
There are four elite receivers and one Tight End that if available at 14 you take. The receivers Nabors, Harrison, Odunze, Thomas Jr. The TE of course is Bowers. The draft is deep in receivers but these are the elite guys that can be difference makers like Jefferson and Chase for your team. After that the draft is deep in talent at receiver but there is a definite gap.

There are four elite receivers and one Tight End that if available at 14 you take. The receivers Nabors, Harrison, Odunze, Thomas Jr. The TE of course is Bowers. The draft is deep in receivers but these are the elite guys that can be difference makers like Jefferson and Chase for your team. After that the draft is deep in talent at receiver but there is a definite gap.
Include Odunze in BPA at 14th as well. There’s potentially Bowers, BTJ, and Odunze as the remaining elite passcatchers, who can immediately produce, at 14. Then the next tier of WRs in the 2nd and forward are mostly high ceiling WRs that are hoped to become consistent contributors. Last 2 WR classes played out the same way in talent/fit dropoff after the 1st until Rice and Dell were identified through good scouting.

It’s better to get the apparent elite receiver while you can before the dropoff since OT is deeper. Select the best player who’s going to make an impact at the 1st pick rather than checking off a position list according to the round.

That´s what I'm thinking. That's why I talk about value. If the tackle class is so deep, what would be the difference between grabbing Fashanu, Latham, Fuaga at 14 or Morgan, Mims, Guyton at 45?

The difference is that Morgan, Mims, and Guyton are not likely to be ready to be effective starters this year where as two of the other three are ready to compete for starting jobs if not win them. I don't really like Latham and I don't think he really fits what we want at OT.

The fact is that unless Bowers falls to #14, and he won't, whatever OTs are left are highly like to be BPA at #14.

It's an interesting question. Would you rather have?:

A) Fashanu(or other) + McConkey/Coleman/Wilson/Pearsall/Legette/etc

B) Brian Thomas Jr + Morgan/Paul/Guyton/Sumataia/etc

It really depends on if we sign any OTs before the draft. If they bring back Peat and a serviceable option at RT in case Ram can't play, I'd consider B, but right now the answer is A is best for this team.

Does anyone think that 5 OT are going in the first 13 picks?
It’s just a reference. Besides, ever thought you’d see the day 3 QBs possibly go in the first 3 picks? I can’t say that I have thought that would ever happen, if it is to happen.

I know we never trade back but this is the yr it just makes sense, no 3 or 4. Deep OT's, one of our biggest needs. If we can trade back 4-5 spots and pick up a high 3 or low 2 we could fill more holes and get younger. But if we stand @14 more than likely the BPA will be an OT Fashanu or Fuaga most likely

If we can get RT Taliese Fuaga at #14, then it would be the right value. He is the highest rated RT in the draft. Most draft analyst's Have him rated at #1 in the top 5 RT's. I've seen quite a few mocks having him going to the Raiders @ #13. If he's the player the Saints want, they might trade up 2 or 3 spots to get him. He could easily go to the Jets in the top 10. Wouldn't want to trade up that high due to what the Saints would have to give up to get him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom