Is this plagiarism? (Update: jury says no) (1 Viewer)

Does Thinking Out Loud illegally borrow from Let's Get it On?

• No

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Townsend had just overcome a crippling addiction and Let's Get It On was orginally a more uplifting song about get on living life

A friend of Townsend's 16 year old daughter was in the studio, and 33 year old Marvin was immediately smitten and basically freestyled the version we know on the spot

The teen was Jan who Gaye would soon have an affair with and marry, she recently passed away

Here's the 2 songs in instrumental version only. Personally, I guess I hear a similarity, but not enough to be plagiarism.

sorry i just dont see how someone can say that the drum beat is same. Tempo? Eds is a step slower than Gaye- Hard snare? sure. but the arrangement is not same.

But if musicians are now attempting to say a specific measure/note/count is theirs, no way.

I personally don't hear it but I never heard it in that Robin Thicke song either

That song actually involved a straight sample from the Gaye track itself. It was literally taken from the Gaye song.
Totally agree with Chuck. I really don't hear anything in Sheeran's track. However, someone should've lost their job for allowing Thicke's track to hit the market without some type of credit/compensation to Gaye's estate.

On a side note, that estate likes to sue folks...

I think that's actually a pretty impractical idea - and would result in a massive proliferation of music copyright suits. Anytime someone has a big hit and someone else can win a "10% similarity" and get 10% of the revenues? Goodness, no.

The standard is "substantially similar" and often involves an almost forensic analysis of the music - but unless there is a clear "theft" of the music, such as the case of a direct sample, the question of substantial similarity can be a bit vague, and based on whether a typical listener would think it was substantially borrowed from the previous work.

But it is contrasted with "not substantially similar" that even allows for de minimus similarity, which seems reasonable given that in western music, especially western pop music, the range of tones and sounds that are typically employed is somewhat narrow.

So there's a threshold of what qualifies as "substantially similar" - and anything that isn't found to be substantially similar isn't a violation and owes nothing.
The point is these aren’t artistic discussions between artists
It’s legal arguments between corporate entities and ‘estates’
They hide behind the artists to make it seem less icky

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom