Is this plagiarism? (Update: jury says no) (2 Viewers)

Does Thinking Out Loud illegally borrow from Let's Get it On?

• No

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
A jury in New York is being asked the question of whether Ed Sheeran's "Thinking Out Loud" is sufficiently similar to Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" that it qualifies as copyright infringement.

First, I hate you for making me listen to Ed Sheeran.
Now, I can hear the similarity. If I were in the jury, I'd vote for plagiarism, because I can definitely smash while listening to Marvin Gaye, unlike E.D. Sheeran.

When does the copyright expire? Or doesn't it?

I was thinking about something like this the other day. I love Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" as I love the Rachmaninoff concerto it's based on. Now, it was widely known even in 1975 that it was based on that but not realizing that the composer was so contemporary that he had only died in 1943, I had always assumed it was old enough for it to be in the public domain. But then I looked it up and discovered that Carmen did indeed have to settle that issue with the composer's estate.
It's 75 years from the date the copyright is legally placed. Date of death of the composer has nothing to do with it.

I guess the Gaye family is liking that Pharrell Williams / Robin Thick money and is looking for more…

Last edited:
It's 75 years from the date the copyright is legally placed. Date of death of the composer has nothing to do with it.
My only reason for mentioning that was I didn't know Rachmaninoff died in the 20th century as opposed to the 19th, not the specific number of years since he has passed. I realize that copyright "lives on" with the estate.

Reminds me of the case where one of the members of Taurus sued Led Zeppelin for stealing a part of their song and using it in Stairway to Heaven. In short, Taurus was an opening act for Zeppelin at some of their shows, and their song "Spirit" opened with a guitar riff that is VERY similar to the opening riff of Stairway. But, in a bizarre technicality, because "Spirit" was recorded before the federal copyright laws covered digital recordings, the band could not use the recordings as evidence. They could only use the sheet music of the two songs. This led to a verdict in Led Zeppelin's favor.

Here are the two riffs for comparison:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom