Jabari Greer (1 Viewer)

Part of the problem indeed. I don't how can you focus our secondary problems in one or another player. Just look at the touchdowns today.

I don't know what the coverage assignment was, but on one of the big plays Robinson let his receiver go and Greer was trying to recover the coverage, seems that it was Greer's mistake, but I don't think it was.

Two touchdowns on Greer were perfect passes, plain and simple. The problem is not the coverage, but for Freeman to be able to throw that pass.

To me, the biggest problem this year is missing one experience nickel corner, Gay may not be the most athletic, but knows where to be.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. We're missing Gay more than we ever could have imagined (or maybe some did). Experience, it's really important.

He's gone from being a strength last year, to being a weak link this year.

GW's defense puts a ton of pressure on Greer. He is one-on-one with the opponent's best receiver a lot. Even when he has given up TDs this year, he's been in position. Keep in mind he is giving up half a foot to some of these receivers.

Greer will not win every time. Theo other players get paid to play too.

looks to me like porter and greer are playing the receivers and never looking for the ball. I don;t like that corner play, but when you are on an island by yourself I imagine that is how you have to play, get caught looking in the backfield on a double move it could go for 80 every time.

You don't play the ball if you're in man coverage. It's impossible. You do need to anticipate the ball and find it in flight, but that's no easy task.

Guys playing out on an island like that are going to have vulnerabilities.

If you look at the entire season, and Greer/Porter's season-long body of work, they are outstanding, if not elite corners. Saints fans are spoiled beyond belief.

In other words, people need to quit their crybagging.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. We're missing Gay more than we ever could have imagined (or maybe some did). Experience, it's really important.

We haven't missed him at all this year. Jenkins has been playing that role when Shaper comes in, and he's 10 times better than Gay ever was.

Robinson has been outstanding at times, but has been mistake prone other times. A couple of of his overly aggressive whiffs yesterday were reminiscent of the beginning of the season.

I'm really not seeing much if any problem with our DB's. It's our inability to generate a consistent pass rush without blitzing. If we didn't have to blitz, there would be more safety help back there, and it would be harder for QB's to read the coverage and just toss the ball up for grabs without getting the receiver killed.

So i read thru most of the comments....i don't agree with the "Missing Randal Gay" aspect because MJ plays nickel in those situations with Sharper moving to FS on passing downs and MJ is very very good@the slot.

Ever notice how Sean Payton....when game planning says "we have to be selective in the throws we make@certain corners" Usually when we are facing an elite or very good CB. Greer is suspect on balls thrown over his head that he can't locate. Period.

He just doesn't have great ball skills...which is what separates him from say a Revis. What he does have is extremely good footwork. comeback routes...slants...curls...he normally plays those balls pretty well..but if u put one over his head..while hes in tight coverage.....u have a pretty good shot@breaking the Greer Code.

He's gone from being a strength last year, to being a weak link this year.

That's just a completely false and ignorant statement. People are so reactionary that they just talk out of their neck.

ok, anybody here notice how big those receivers are who have been beating greer?

roddy white, mike williams, and mike williams (today) are much bigger than jabari. Mike williams of seatle was even 50 lbs heavier and nearly a foot taller.

I made the point a few weeks ago, we might want to go after a 6'2 corner in the draft like Ras-I dowling to give us match up flexibility against tall monster receivers like today.

There are rarely any corners 6'2. Corners are usually around 5'10 to 6' because they are the ones reacting to the routes ran by the receivers. Greer is big enough and he'll figure it out.

I think it's nonsense when people try to use a persons eyes as a determination of how they think feel or respond... They showed Drew's eyes/face during a game a few weeks back and he looked like it was holly terror... In addition, you see his eyes like 5 seconds in an entire game if they even show it so how do you know what his eyes mean???

Corners get beat, probably more then they win but the good ones make plays and he does... Despite what many want to believe, JG is a good corner but he isn't elite and he will get beat sometimes but he also makes plays... Let's not try to make his play into something big when it's not...

I've always interpreted Drew's eyes as someone possessed by the spirit! The spirit of "i'm about to slice your defense up"

That's just a completely false and ignorant statement. People are so reactionary that they just talk out of their neck.

There's been many times that he has been beaten badly. He is not playing anywhere close to last year's level.

So i read thru most of the comments....i don't agree with the "Missing Randal Gay" aspect because MJ plays nickel in those situations with Sharper moving to FS on passing downs and MJ is very very good@the slot.

Ever notice how Sean Payton....when game planning says "we have to be selective in the throws we make@certain corners" Usually when we are facing an elite or very good CB. Greer is suspect on balls thrown over his head that he can't locate. Period.

He just doesn't have great ball skills...which is what separates him from say a Revis. What he does have is extremely good footwork. comeback routes...slants...curls...he normally plays those balls pretty well..but if u put one over his head..while hes in tight coverage.....u have a pretty good shot@breaking the Greer Code.

I think that's truly the code for most corners, get a big body on them, get their back to the line of scrimmage and throw it outside the receivers frame. At that point they are going purely on the receivers body language and there's a huge element of luck. You have a big strong guy with his eyes on the ball trying to bring it in, against a smaller guyjust trying to get one of his hands in the exact right spot, at the exact right time based off clues. Even when he gets there on a play like that, a big guy can potentially muscle it in still.

What worries me more is where he has been on a few of the underneath routes, or early off the line.... I don't know if he's getting beat physically or mentally in those first five yards but it seems he's a half step off where he was last year sometimes. Hes not the type to bait a throw (although maybe hes trying?) as much as he is a step for step blanket on the receiver. That blanket hasn't been there in the same way this year (atleast as consistently). He had been very good though, as some people take discussion of a weakness to mean he's lost, confused, should be cut cause it's happening every play. He's been there with the WR, just not as often as he can and has been before.

Yea he has been beat a few times but....
This team is 4th in passing D this year vs not even top 20 vs pass last year.
So what are you talking about??

Greer usually struggles somewhat against those big recievers, but even the word "struggle" is a stretch.

I think we are getting a little spoiled here. How many passes did Boldin make? Roddy White? Steve Smith? Mike Williams (first meeting vs. Tampa), Dez Bryant?

Greer has been very very good. Even the best corners get got. Cutler got Revis and Cromartie when they played the other day. Cutler!!!

Actually it was Porter who looked bad Sunday......The blown coverage was him, that wide receiver screen missed tackle where Tampa almost scored was him. He was beat on some passes as well. He needs to play better, he seems to have taken a slight step back.

He is not sucking up to his guy and playing the ball, he is playing the receiver. This is concerning.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom