N/S Jamarcus Russell fired for embezzlement (in Mobile, AL) (1 Viewer)

He and Brett Farve should be cellmates
At least Brett Favre had a long, successful HOF career, although he did have the right NFL HC who was sort of the mentor and teacher (Holmgren) that was more patient, grew him out of his immature, borish behavior and attitude Jerry Glanville didnt have time for nor did he ever want to really draft Favre in the first place. If Favre had been traded to lets say, Chicago, or Philadelphia in 1992 and not had the same understanding, Bill Walsh WC-disciple who also just had to have a coaching staff filled with future NFL HC's, he would've bombed out just like Jamarcus Russell did.

Ive talked to people here in Mobile who knew and played with him in HS and most of them have told me Russell was extremely hard-headed, stubborn, beligerent and one of the few people who could actually "reason" with him or talk to him was his uncle, Ray-Ray Russell, who was also a popular local sports radio personality. After his uncle died, he didn't have that strong, formidable and determined force in his life to keep him focused and straight.

What a waste of talent and what could have been a excellent life
He had a powerful arm, but you need to be a consummate, persistent hard worker watching game film, working out, practicing with assistants with passing drills, hire a great exercise and conditioning trainer, keep your weight under control. Russell never really tried to do any of that, plus he didnt exactly endear himself to his teammates while in Oakland plus many in the organization just never totally accepted him, including his HC, Lane Kiffin, who didnt want to draft him but was outmanuevered and forced to because the owner, Al Davis, pushed very hard to get him.

As far as I know, he never once watched game film and tried to develop as a player or at his position. Lane Kiffin once tricked him into revealing he didn't watch game film by giving him a bunch of blank DVD's he claimed were full of past practice/game-film footage. Russell lied one day after practice telling Kiffin he learned so much from watching those DVD's, Kiffin laughed at him and said, "Those tapes were blanks, if you had watched them, you would've told me and your teammates and asked for the real ones".

so he has even more reason not to be an embezzling dbag
Guido, I'm not exactly sure Favre did it entirely for the money. Sure, he embezzled hundreds of millions of dollars meant for low-income welfare Mississippi recipients for a volleyball court for his daughters, but IMHO, Favre's reasoning may have been to see if he could get away with it, a risk-prone adventurer who wants to stay viable in the public limelight.

Plus, I think Favre decided to engage in these schemes because he believes he's bullet-proof, a very popular sports celebrity from a state where he enjoys a lot of political and legal protection and the local, state-level politico smucks who were involved in these embezzlement schemes are expendable and more likely punished, but he won't be and so far, Favre's name hasn't been charged with anything in these scandals.

Guido, I'm not exactly sure Favre did it entirely for the money. Sure, he embezzled hundreds of millions of dollars meant for low-income welfare Mississippi recipients for a volleyball court for his daughters, but IMHO, Favre's reasoning may have been to see if he could get away with it, a risk-prone adventurer who wants to stay viable in the public limelight.

Plus, I think Favre decided to engage in these schemes because he believes he's bullet-proof, a very popular sports celebrity from a state where he enjoys a lot of political and legal protection and the local, state-level politico smucks who were involved in these embezzlement schemes are expendable and more likely punished, but he won't be and so far, Favre's name hasn't been charged with anything in these scandals.
I think it was $700,000

In a alternate universe, he could have been a Saints QB instead of Drew.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom