Jameis Winston: “I would love to stay in NOLA forever” (1 Viewer)

I love his spirit and overall attitude. I hope he can stay. I do have doubts about his fit in the new offensive system. We will see.

I love his spirit and overall attitude. I hope he can stay. I do have doubts about his fit in the new offensive system. We will see.

I'm not sure, but I do wonder if the addition of more 3 step drops which we are likely to see from Kubiak might help Jameis? He seems to get in trouble by holding the ball too long and then going for the big shot. Of course he sometimes hits those big shots in spectacular fashion, but he also does some terrible things other times. Also, IIRC, Jameis is very good on play action passes which should be a big feature of the Kubiak system and any QB is going to be better if the pre-snap motion lets you know the coverage you are going to get.

If the Saints decide to carry a veteran backup QB, what has more value:

A beloved teammate and locker room leader? Or someone who is familiar with the new system that is going to be installed?

My gut says they would look to a Sam Darnold or Brandon Allen. Although I would think the 9ers will push to keep Darnold.

I dont know. If you look at his last year with the chargers he was having a pretty good season. It was his second highest TD and Comp % totals and his carrier high in passing yards (Pre-Saints). Before the injury I remember all reports coming out saying he proved the front office wrong for taking Rivers. They were going to have a tough time convincing fans the right choice was to let him go. I think it was more he and Sean were made for each other. I think they made each other better vs Sean molding him. Drew fit what Sean wanted to do and Drew ran it to perfection. Sean made Drew as much as Drew made Sean.
It was his second best because every other season before 2004 sucked....haha. But seriously, reading about how Sean built the system around his strengths made me look at how a QB succeeds a lot differently. Drew didn't fit what Sean wanted to do because Sean built an offense based on what Drew did in San Diego. He will always build a system based on what one can do and what they excel in. Why do you think we became play-action heavy when we got Jameis and started working the intermediate routes more? Because historically, Winston is better than a good majority of the league in both play action and intermediate passing. Our offense would have looked closer to Drew's prime than it ever has because a lot of people missed that a lot of the elements in that offense fits what Jameis is REALLY good at.

Carmichael made both QBs look bad. We had a top 10 wr core and we did not use it to its best potential. Thomas on fly routes (why). 3 and 3 and you run him on a go. Run the slant or drag and the TE on a deep out right behind him. First down all day. Carr is not good at reading/getting on the same page with option routes. This is what caused so many problems with his wr. He read one thing and they read another. Why we stuck with it for so long should have been enough for Allen to go with PC.
I'm of the belief that Jameis getting hurt killed what we may have done last season but also it took him too long to figure out that Carr really wasn't a good fit for the offense that he had in place and he should have simplified it way earlier in the season. It's less about the motion, as every wants to throw out there, and more on simplifying his reads. With so much emphasis on his "pre-snap reads," they didn't take into account the plays that requires pure progressions. When we pulled back some things, Carr played much better.

I'm of the belief that Jameis getting hurt killed what we may have done last season but also it took him too long to figure out that Carr really wasn't a good fit for the offense that he had in place and he should have simplified it way earlier in the season. It's less about the motion, as every wants to throw out there, and more on simplifying his reads. With so much emphasis on his "pre-snap reads," they didn't take into account the plays that requires pure progressions. When we pulled back some things, Carr played much better.

This is why I have some hope that Carr can quickly pick up the new scheme which should involve a lot of 3 step drops getting the ball out on in less then 2 seconds with only 2 or 3 quick reads and with a lot of play action passes that allows him to hit quick and easy reads. I think Carr had good numbers even this year on 3 step drops and I know he was very good at play action. He gets in trouble when he tries to read the field and holds on to the ball too long.

And hopefully they will be able to establish the run game and short passing game to give him a chance to throw deep balls without getting killed. I really think the best ball he throws is on deep throws in one on one situations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom