Jameis Winston: “I would love to stay in NOLA forever” (3 Viewers)

The (admittedly limited) facts we do have on the subject say otherwise. I think we saw a very different, more cautious Winston in his short time with Sean.

JW was on pace for 30 TDs and single digit INTs that year. We were rolling.

6926FC82-162C-4FF8-BF84-7A2534039506.jpeg

and then White happened and had a dirty play to end what wouldve been a playoff run.

The (admittedly limited) facts we do have on the subject say otherwise. I think we saw a very different, more cautious Winston in his short time with Sean.

JW was on pace for 30 TDs and single digit INTs that year. We were rolling.

6926FC82-162C-4FF8-BF84-7A2534039506.jpeg
Maybe. I believe none of those TD’s came in 2 games. I will say I could be wrong I just seem to remember SP was very conservative with him. I felt like that last game he was finally let loose and he got hurt. To quote Tiffany “
Could've been so beautiful, Could've been so right.”

Well never quoted Tiffany before so I’ve got that going for me.

I disagree. Sean would have tried to mold him into his offense. I think JW went to the right place and the right time originally. I don’t think of SP as this great genius QB whisperer. I look at his time here as just a great situation with him and Drew. Two guys with a great work ethic and desire to win.

The problem JW is that he is the type of QB that is always going to take chances and go for it. I admire him for that, he isn’t afraid to take a chance because the majority of the time his athleticism is going to carry him. You put him in SP’s offense and it doesn’t work in my opinion.

I keep seeing this repeated, CSP's system or offense. Perhaps CSP's greatest quality was his ability to adjust his offense and play calling to whomever was behind center, maximizing their strengths while minimizing weaknesses....

I never bought the narrative that he had a definitive "system".....Also, under CSP, JW was on pace for all time low INTs and 30+ TD's.....sucks that Devin White's dirty play ended it all....

Maybe. I believe none of those TD’s came in 2 games. I will say I could be wrong I just seem to remember SP was very conservative with him. I felt like that last game he was finally let loose and he got hurt. To quote Tiffany “

It wasn't that SP was being conservative but we couldn't get a true offense installed until a starter was named. That's how I knew that there were issues with Russ in that offense. Russ was the undisputed starter going into training camp and had that entire offseason, preseason, and most of the season and it looked like he was still limited in the offense. We saw the offense opened for Winston in 7 weeks with none of that.

SP was also being conservative with our lackluster WR group that year too though, keep that in mind.

I mean friggin Marquez Callaway was our go-to #1 receiver that year. lol

He could have secured his place for another season by moving the ball and scoring against the packers. He’s not shown me anything special and he seems to be a distraction. He overruled his head coach for the “team” and then claims he wanted to stay on the team forever. Maybe Curry will hire him to back up Josh Allen.
He did move the ball against the Packers and he did get the offense into scoring position. He didn’t miss the game winning FG, the kicker did.

I don’t think of SP as this great genius QB whisperer. I look at his time here as just a great situation with him and Drew. Two guys with a great work ethic and desire to win.

Agreed. SP didn't develop Drew. What QB has he developed as a HC that has had success in the league be it with the Saints or elsewhere?

He did move the ball against the Packers and he did get the offense into scoring position. He didn’t miss the game winning FG, the kicker did.

I mean let's not revise history. I think Jameis is a good guy and a great team mate, but he had 5 possession in that game and he only managed to get one FG attempt out of those 5 possessions and that was a 46 yard FG which while you expect Grupe to make it, it's not a chip shot.

Certainly a lot of that is on Carmichael, but it's not like Jameis lit is up against GB.

Agreed. SP didn't develop Drew. What QB has he developed as a HC that has had success in the league be it with the Saints or elsewhere?

He did develop Drew. Under Payton Brees went from an above average starter to a HoF QB. Most of that credit goes to Brees, but Payton and PC also deserve some credit for that.

I like JW as a person and a teammate. Admittedly I didnt give him much credit coming out of FSU. I saw a Jamarcus Russell clone. Not having a coach to help reign in his, sometimes, erratic tendencies and help him develop his true potential is what hurt him. I wont sit here and say CSP would have made him any different. What made CSP look like a genius is Brees being able to read a defense pre snap and know what they are going to do before they do it. It made play calling easy. We have yet to see Sean develop/mold a QB. I truly feel for JW. I was not excited when he joined the Saints but I watched as he became a leader and a great teammate. I can absolutely see him develop into a QB coach. He knows how to build up guys and is very humble.

I dont think he will ever reach his full potential. I would love to see them renegotiate a deal for him to stay as the backup, and help tutor a rookie on the ins and outs. Then maybe 3-4 years become the Saints next QB coach.

When watching games, you can tell he sees it all from the sidelines. I just dont think he was given the proper coaching to know how to use that in the pocket. Its that or he just cant process it fast enough. I see JW working his way to be the next Dave Campbell. Working his way up and being a players coach. A guy that guys run through walls for. I am here for it and would pull for it to be with the Saints.

Charger Drew and Saints Drew gives us a glimpse. If you don't think CSP fingerprints are all over Brees' success, I don't know what to tell you. He built the offense around him and honestly, that's all most QBs need.

I mean let's not revise history. I think Jameis is a good guy and a great team mate, but he had 5 possession in that game and he only managed to get one FG attempt out of those 5 possessions and that was a 46 yard FG which while you expect Grupe to make it, it's not a chip shot.

Certainly a lot of that is on Carmichael, but it's not like Jameis lit is up against GB.
Actually, we were in FG range twice. We took a delay of game the first time and punted. And if we are being honest, our offense that day wasn't lighting it up. We had 2 drives to put us in scoring range in the first half and 2 drives that put us in scoring drive the 2nd half. If DA had to the stones to go for the 1st FG and/or Grupe makes the second, this would be a different conversation.

I like JW as a person and a teammate. Admittedly I didnt give him much credit coming out of FSU. I saw a Jamarcus Russell clone. Not having a coach to help reign in his, sometimes, erratic tendencies and help him develop his true potential is what hurt him. I wont sit here and say CSP would have made him any different. What made CSP look like a genius is Brees being able to read a defense pre snap and know what they are going to do before they do it. It made play calling easy. We have yet to see Sean develop/mold a QB. I truly feel for JW. I was not excited when he joined the Saints but I watched as he became a leader and a great teammate. I can absolutely see him develop into a QB coach. He knows how to build up guys and is very humble.

I dont think he will ever reach his full potential. I would love to see them renegotiate a deal for him to stay as the backup, and help tutor a rookie on the ins and outs. Then maybe 3-4 years become the Saints next QB coach.

When watching games, you can tell he sees it all from the sidelines. I just dont think he was given the proper coaching to know how to use that in the pocket. Its that or he just cant process it fast enough. I see JW working his way to be the next Dave Campbell. Working his way up and being a players coach. A guy that guys run through walls for. I am here for it and would pull for it to be with the Saints.
Here is the crazy thing, Winston has had way more good games than bad but when people only focus on "interceptions," it hard for folks to see anything else. There is nothing wrong with his pre-snap reads and truth be told, in Drew's prime, post-snap was more important because they had longer developing plays. His problem was never reading a defense; his problem has always been trusting his arm/receivers too much. I go back to Kurt Warner saying that when he puts on tape, Jameis makes better reads and plays than 90% of the QBs in the NFL and this was after 30 interceptions. This is a 2-time MVP saying this and it made me rethink how I look at games and he wasn't lying. When we picked him up and I started really looking at those Bucs game, his good to great outweighed his bad easily but we place a microscope on him that we don't others. Dude will maybe have 3-4 bad games in a season and we spend more time analyzing the bad games than we do the good, talking about he is inconsistent while ignoring everyone else bad games. Crazy world..lol

Last edited:
Charger Drew and Saints Drew gives us a glimpse. If you don't think CSP fingerprints are all over Brees' success, I don't know what to tell you. He built the offense around him and honestly, that's all most QBs need.

Actually, we were in FG range twice. We took a delay of game the first time and punted. And if we are being honest, our offense that day wasn't lighting it up. We had 2 drives to put us in scoring range in the first half and 2 drives that put us in scoring drive the 2nd half. If DA had to the stones to go for the 1st FG and/or Grupe makes the second, this would be a different conversation.

Like I said, Carmichael gets a lot of the blame for the offensive performance in the 2nd half. Scoring 17 points, all in the first half regardless of the QB isn't going to cut it. But Winston only had 101 yards in that game with 47 of it coming in the last drive when GB was playing soft. I'm not saying that the blame goes to Winston, it's always tough to come in after not taking the reps all week and not having the game plan built around you.

I think the real blame goes to PC who couldn't figure out how to even score 3 points in the second half. Hell, even a couple more 1st downs probably wins that game.

I dont know. If you look at his last year with the chargers he was having a pretty good season. It was his second highest TD and Comp % totals and his carrier high in passing yards (Pre-Saints). Before the injury I remember all reports coming out saying he proved the front office wrong for taking Rivers. They were going to have a tough time convincing fans the right choice was to let him go. I think it was more he and Sean were made for each other. I think they made each other better vs Sean molding him. Drew fit what Sean wanted to do and Drew ran it to perfection. Sean made Drew as much as Drew made Sean.

Carmichael made both QBs look bad. We had a top 10 wr core and we did not use it to its best potential. Thomas on fly routes (why). 3 and 3 and you run him on a go. Run the slant or drag and the TE on a deep out right behind him. First down all day. Carr is not good at reading/getting on the same page with option routes. This is what caused so many problems with his wr. He read one thing and they read another. Why we stuck with it for so long should have been enough for Allen to go with PC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom