Jamie Collins new deal with Browns to exceed Kuechly's (Contract finalized now) (1 Viewer)

Blessedog

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Per Rapoport. Kuechly averaging 12.3M per year. Deal should be done soon. One of the top LBs soon to be off the market.

At least we won't have to deal with near daily threads about picking him up in free agency now.

I'd have loved to have had a chance to sign him, but the likelihood of them not re-signing him after trading for him in the first place were slim to none to begin with.

^ So much truth in one post. My relief is palpable.

Rising from the dismal, second class, that is non power 5 football, to the top of the LEAGUE. From a school that ranks 70-85 in recruiting. Always a fight for respect. So. Miss tradition. SMTTT

He may have lost a SB ring this year, so maybe the cash will ease the sting

I wasn't a fan of us going after it came out the reason for his dismissal from the patriots is simply because he didn't love FB enough. He's an "I'm just here to do my job" kind of person and Allen just said in a recent interview that its hard to win with guys like that.

Here is the quote.

Do you have any idea when he first got on your radar?

“When we said there’s a free agent in Cleveland that we’re going to look at. Up until then I didn’t really know anything about him. He was a free agent that our personnel people had identified and then obviously having AG (Aaron Glenn) who was with him in Cleveland gave us a little bit of inside information just not about the player you’re looking at on tape but more about the individual and really his makeup and his love for the game of football and those are things in my mind that really make a difference in the player is ‘how much does this guy really love football, is he a football junkie?’ Those guys can usually succeed in whatever role it is that you give him. When you’ve got a guy that’s doing it because that’s their job and you get a chance to make a little bit of money doing that then generally you come up short as far as what your expectations are and what you’re able to get out of him.”

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/new...is-Allen/39ce4b63-b463-48ad-8c17-fdbc92373d7c

I'd honestly been lost interest in us getting him weeks ago after hearing about that and then watching an interview where he basically says this is my job, and I do it which is great, but as a person who knows the difference it makes when you love your job vs when you do the work because its your job I wholeheartedly understand DA's position on guys like that.

Isn't the Patriots theme "Do Your Job"?
Seems like it has been a very successful way of playing football.

I would pay him this in a heartbeat. He's being paid as a LB when IMO he can be an everydown pas rusher. Collins has the skill set to be used like a Von Miller. Maybe not at that level but can be close. It seems to me he is getting paid less because of his versatility to play any LB position in any scheme. IMO he would be a perfect fit for what we need on our defense. Someone Allen can move all over the field. Put him and SAM in the base and a pass rusher in the sub packages. The versatility of Collins allows you to do some many things and disguise making it tough for teams like the Falcons to know what you're running. Really wish we would make a run at him.

I don't see how the team can 'make a run at him' when he's not even going to reach free agency. You can't bid when there's no auction.

And the comparison to Von Miller is based on what? That level of skill set, as you call it, is probably in the possession of Miller, Khalil Mack and... that's it.

I think he might be worth that kind of money, but not to us. For that money, we could upgrade G, CB, and LB.

I think he might be worth that kind of money, but not to us. For that money, we could upgrade G, CB, and LB.
Good player but think they overpaid for him a good bit at this point. He's played good and has a lot of potential still.

Looks like it's done

Roto said:
Browns signed LB Jamie Collins to a four-year, $50 million contract through 2020.

The deal has been in the works for days but finally became official on Monday. Collins' new contract calls for $26 million in guaranteed money. "Jamie was great to have in our building this season, and we look forward to him being a Cleveland Brown for a number of years to come," said Browns Executive VP of Football Operations Sashi Brown. Collins had been in the last year of his rookie contract, which prompted his mid-season trade from New England. He's now the fourth highest-paid linebacker on an annual basis behind Von Miller, Justin Houston and Clay Matthews.

I don't think he is the guy to build a defense around, but the Brown's money says otherwise. Give me another Robertson or two and I'm good. We need to build our defense around Vaccaro. He's our ace. We need to sign guys that complement him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom