Janoris Jenkins' Restructured Contract strengthens the Saints Secondary for 2020 (1 Viewer)

The Saints aren't exactly known for their Secondary play. We've had a few good players here and there but for the most part it's been Corey White and Toast Thomas and Jason David, etc. I can remember thinking Kevin Kaesviharn was a good pick up. I remember being optimistic about Tebucky Jones. It's been a parade of terrible to mediocre.

So I totally understand where you're coming from but right now, on paper, this Secondary looks solid. If Malcolm Jenkins can be better in coverage than Bell was then that alone will be huge. If Janoris Jenkins can stay in the general vicinity of the man he's covering that could be huge. But the guy that has me really excited is CGJ. He is a natural born ball player. He's a play maker.

Mark my words and mark them well, it's going to rain turnovers this year in The Dome.*

* This prediction is based on the assumption that all players are healthy and good at football. Subject to change.

Great post!
And yep, for me, where we are viewed as the creme de la creme of Lb for the dome patrol..we are equally as poor in the secondary, CB particularly.

I'm just thinking we now truly have 2 safeties who can both play man coverage. This should make the defense a bit less predictable.

If referring to Malcolm and Gardner-Johnson I agree.
Williams is not a good cover guy imo. Or tackler.

Great post!
And yep, for me, where we are viewed as the creme de la creme of Lb for the dome patrol..we are equally as poor in the secondary, CB particularly.

Serious question. Can you think of a team that's had a worse history when it comes to Secondary play?

If referring to Malcolm and Gardner-Johnson I agree.
Williams is not a good cover guy imo. Or tackler.

Williams is a great player and even a great tackler 98% of the time. The 2% just so happens to be in the worst moments.

I say we pull him in every close game before the two minute warning and take our chances with whoever else we can put out there.

How does restructuring the deal strengthen the DBs in 2020? He was already under contract to be our DB in 2020 and he’s still under contract to be our DB in 2020.
Because it helped us afford to bring in M. Jenkins. Maybe not a direct improvement, but resulted in one.

Williams is a great player and even a great tackler 98% of the time. The 2% just so happens to be in the worst moments.

I say we pull him in every close game before the two minute warning and take our chances with whoever else we can put out there.

I agree he’s terribly anti clutch, I disagree tho that he’s ever great in any aspect of the game. Perhaps it’s scheme. Many secondary players struggle with us over the years and do well elsewhere.

Serious question. Can you think of a team that's had a worse history when it comes to Secondary play?
I truly can’t. Historically I’d say it’s our weakest position group. We’ve had some safeties imo but very few great corners.
Greer
Marshon is good not great to me but he can be.
Tracy was clutch. Which we need so bad back there.
Eric Allen was ok for us great elsewhere.
Ashley Ambrose was ok imo.
Dale Carter was great elsewhere.
The guy from Pitt was good until hurt (West Bank?)
The CFL kid could have been good, can’t remember name
Maxie was ok
And I’m sure some older ones before my time. And I’m sure I’m missing a couple this is off top of my head.

I agree he’s terribly anti clutch, I disagree tho that he’s ever great in any aspect of the game. Perhaps it’s scheme. Many secondary players struggle with us over the years and do well elsewhere.

HOnestly, I think it's just that FS's get judged WAY WAY harder than any position other than QB. A LB misses a tackle and there's 5 other guys behind him to make the tackle and it's an extra 4 or 5 yards. A FS misses a tackle and there's nobody behind him so it's 6 points. All defenders miss tackles.

We hear this safety is great, that safety is elite... if they were on our team and we seen all the plays they lose and the points given up because of them? We'd all strongly disagree with them being great or elite.

But I will admit, when Williams screws up, it's been very high profile and detrimental to our season... even season ending a couple times. Poor guy...

Maybe the most underrated Saint in history. When he got his final injury and retired it sent our defense reeling....and was an uber intelligent, thoughtful writer to boot....one of the best FA pickups for the Saints in history.....

I truly can’t. Historically I’d say it’s our weakest position group. We’ve had some safeties imo but very few great corners.
Greer
Marshon is good not great to me but he can be.
Tracy was clutch. Which we need so bad back there.
Eric Allen was ok for us great elsewhere.
Ashley Ambrose was ok imo.
Dale Carter was great elsewhere.
The guy from Pitt was good until hurt (West Bank?)
The CFL kid could have been good, can’t remember name
Maxie was ok
And I’m sure some older ones before my time. And I’m sure I’m missing a couple this is off top of my head.

In franchise history the Saints have had one First Team All Pro DB who made All Pro while with the Saints, Darren Sharper in '09. They've had a total of 10 DBs make the Pro Bowl.

The Bengals were also founded in 1967 and they've had six First Team All Pro DBs and 12 DBs make the Pro Bowl.

In franchise history the Saints have had one First Team All Pro DB who made All Pro while with the Saints, Darren Sharper in '09. They've had a total of 10 DBs make the Pro Bowl.

The Bengals were also founded in 1967 and they've had six First Team All Pro DBs and 12 DBs make the Pro Bowl.

You’re right. I omitted Sharper as I know they’re all DB’s technically but I view corners differently categorically.

Maybe the most underrated Saint in history. When he got his final injury and retired it sent our defense reeling....and was an uber intelligent, thoughtful writer to boot....one of the best FA pickups for the Saints in history.....

He’s one of my all time favorite Saints and people we’ve had on our team. Totally agree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom