Jason Bateman or Paul Rudd (1 Viewer)

Paul Rudd has come a long way from playing the brother in Clueless, or the dopey college kid in Overnight delivery.
I am just glad that both of them are having a lot of success. I can’t imagine Hollywood without them.

master bateman.

terrific comedy chops, yet can utterly sell a beheading scene like that in the kingdom.

rudd doesn't have the dramatic range.

I'm going with Bateman because I think he's a more versatile actor. Rudd tends to play the same character with the exception of his stint on Parks and Rec.

I'm with you on this. Paul Rudd seems like a great dude and I like his stuff, but Jason Bateman has a longer and more diverse resume. I remember Silver Spoons man.

So if Jerry O'Connell is a poor man's Jason Bateman, who's a poor man's Paul Rudd?

In terms of whom i think is most talented, or who has the better career? By any metric, to me, it’s Bateman by a mile.. Not saying Rudd isn’t talented, he is.. but i’ve been enjoying Bateman’s work for nearly 40 years, starting with the old Silver Spoons where he played an Eddie Haskell type character.. to one of my favorite 80s sitcoms, It’s Your Move where he played a teenaged conman.. years later i thought he was great in Arrested Development, obviously, as well as Juno... I’m not well-versed enough in either Bateman’s or Rudd’s recent (read: last 10 years) stuff to know which has the better work over that time period- but overall i dont think too many public figures could hold a candle to the length and quality of Bateman’s career.

You've been enjoying Bateman's work for 40 years and yet aren't versed in his latest 10?

I don't know who either of these guys are. :shrug:

What teams do they play for? :unsure:

I like both a lot.

I don't think Bateman has done anything as bad as "This is 40," so that's a strike against Rudd.

But Bateman was never in an early 90's Super Ninentdo commercial. And The Hogan Family was trash. Enough of your nonsense, Sandy Duncan.

It's a tie.

Bateman. Better depth and breadth. Ozark and Office Christmas Party are two of my favs.

And I like Rudd, a lot, too, but he's no Bateman.

Last edited:
I'm with you on this. Paul Rudd seems like a great dude and I like his stuff, but Jason Bateman has a longer and more diverse resume. I remember Silver Spoons man.

So if Jerry O'Connell is a poor man's Jason Bateman, who's a poor man's Paul Rudd?

Maybe Dave Franco?

Until recently with the Breaking Bad-esque like show Ozark in Netflix, not that he didn't show signs or a few hints here and there of his range as a dramatic actor, Bateman sort of played comedy-drama roles or occasionally drama TV or movie roles that sometimes got serious but weren't overly dark. Ozark is probably the darkest, least morally/ethically redeemable show he starred in, it's not just him by Season 3 if you've read Ozark Season 3 EE thread his wife is actually worse then he is and his son, Jonah, has all the signs of a future amoral sociopath who works on Wall Street and spree kills in his off-hours. Another American Psycho in the making.

Ozark may be the show that ends of defining Bateman's career, just like Bryan Cranston did with Walter White in Breaking Bad. It's that TV or movie role that if an actor/actress is lucky, his performances will make him legendary and will be talked about, discussed, analyzed long after he's retired or dead. Harrison Ford has several different movie roles of a lifetime that no one will ever just call him Han Solo, or Robert De Niro will be called just Don Corleone, or Travis Bibble(whatever his Oscar-winning role character's name was in Taxi Driver) or Meryl Streep for that matter.

Decent actors/actresses either star in or appear in some or a majority of Good shows than mediocre ones, good actors/actresses star or appear in a lot of good movies/TV series, and the great legendary ones like Daniel Day-Lewis make every movie they star in epic, whether it's the Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood, Lincoln, or Phantom Thread. Day Lewis brought so much intensity, dedication, focus to his craft in his pursuit of excellence that he made other actors in his films better because of it. That ability of radiance that one actors brilliance, and intelligence makes him so good he makes other actors/actresses come off better is a rare gift, and not many Hollywood screen legends had it if you look at the industry's long history.

Bateman is a very good actor in those list of categories mentioned above, but he has the potential to be even better. Paul Rudd is a decent actor who maybe at his very best could be a good actor, but that's all.

No offense to Rudd, but Jason Bateman without a question

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom