Jon Stewart's plea for gun control (1 Viewer)

If you truly hunt and "like shooting guns" then you would know what the General said is BS. People talk about the .223 like it's some kind of magical super bullet; my 30-30 can inflict more maximum damage to a human than a .223. Not to mention every other round from .243 thru 45/70. Do we need to be highly trained to use those?

No civilian needs an AR; just as no one needs more than one pair of shoes, a car that does 72 mph, R/C airplanes, or leather jackets. Why do people have those? No ones life would be adversely affected if ARs went away. That still doesn't mean that people shouldn't be allowed to legally own one if they want to. We all have our recreational preferences.

Owning a gun is very different that owning a leather jacket or shoes. No parent has ever scolded their child, cut up their R/C airplain into pieces and thrown it away just because their child found thier hidding R/C airplain in a shoebox under their bed.

Owning a gun is very different that owning a leather jacket or shoes. No parent has ever scolded their child, cut up their R/C airplain into pieces and thrown it away just because their child found thier hidding R/C airplain in a shoebox under their bed.

How would a child have a gun? It is illegal for them to own.

Since your idea is to "legalize everything" should we just legalize bombs for public use? And if you're trying to show that we can all die from bombings, so we need protection, I don't know what owning a gun will do if someone drives a car bomb into a church.

The fact that cancer kills infinitely more people than guns doesn't mean that we should keep guns. Gun violence is it's own issue.

I find it baffling how far you can get off of the point. People die from chemo theropy, should we ban cancer drugs? I mean anyone can throw out these statements, and they may sounds like you're comparying apples to apples but you're really not.

70MPH - A lot of states have lower speed limits than louisiana to try an cut down on the fatalities that car crashes cause. But as you keep mentioning cars, I will keep mentioning that cars are not designed to harm a human being. That is what a gun is designed to harm a living creature. You can argue until you're red in the face that they are designed for sport, but they are designed to maim and kill things, and the higher bullet capacity is designed to harm more things in a shorter amount of time.

Sugar and alcohol - Many cities are already implimenting taxes and bans on sugar drinks, alcohol and cigarettes. You say you could never see a gun tax or taxing bullets. Here in NYC alcohol is taxed heavily, and adults pay for it. Cigarettes here in NYC cost like $12 a pack. You know what people would do if they taxed guns and bullets? nothing. No militia would form. We're adults, and if you're saying that shooting is for sport then it is a luxury, not a necessity. Pay a little more for it and register your gun like you have to register your car (the death machines you keep going on a bout.) Oh, and there are dry counties. These people aren't rioting.

And sugar? here in NY bloomberg is banning sugar drinks over a certain size. I like to have my large soda in the theater, but after seeing honey boo boo child sized children with their faces buried in big gulps I don't think it's a big issue. You know what people did? complained. No riots, no militia formed.

And have you forgotten a ban on supersize at mcdonalds, thanks to "supersize me". People complain, but people deal with vice taxes. They are luxuries.

These are all things that have been curbed to protect people from themselves and we are talking about products that are designed for transportation, get inhebriated and quench a sweet tooth. Guns are designed to harm things. I don't understand how you can't see the difference.

Again, I'm not saying we should ban guns. But lets keep the discussion logical. This country is not going to legalize cocaine, heroine, crack, meth, crocidile and weed and start handing out legal guns to everybody. We have to keep our ideas within the realm of possibility.

We don't have a problem with bombs. There aren't millions of bombs already in the hands of civilians. Besides, if someone wants to make a bomb they just need about $100 and make a trip to Ace Hardware, Wal-Mart or Lowe's. Legalizing them would make no sense and they serve no legit purpose.

Cancer drugs save lives, alcohol for consumption does not. Alcohol ruins lives, kills families and provides very little social benefit. I'm not for outlawing it or even limiting volume because we have the right to make our own decisions and making laws to stop people from drinking doesn't work anyway.

You will never agree with what I have to say. From your post you thinks guns are only made, purchased and used to harm things. You think shooting up a paper target at a target range is harming things. You think that providing food while keeping animal populations in check and limiting diseases is harming things. You think someone having a shotgun in their closet for home defense is harming things. You think shooting skeet is harming things.

Guns are already curbed. The public with extremely few exceptions can't go buy an automatic weapon. You can't go to the store and buy a gatlin gun or even a true multi-fire assault rifle.

The comparison is more than legit. My points are more than fair, you just don't have the ability to see these because you probably enjoy alcohol and despise guns. It's different when it impacts your life and so much easier to try and pass laws and bans for other people. How can you not see that booze related deaths are multiple times higher than gun deaths. How can you not see that millions of people are addicted to alcohol? How can you not see that roughly 100,000,000 in the US alone have an alcoholic in their immediate family? Why is it worse when a 100 or so kids are killed in the classroom each year than when 1400 children are killed by drunk driving accidents? Do you only value the life of a child that was shot?

We've had an assault rifle ban before. We've also had quite a few studies from both sides of the aisle saying it had NO IMPACT ON CRIME, GUN CRIME, HOMICIDES, GUN RELATED DEATHS. So if it doesn't solve any problems why do you care? Do you drive around in fear that some guy is going to pop up with an AR-15 and open fire on you at the Supermarket? If so that fear is irrational, the odds you are killed by a rifle of any kind at any time in the next year is 1:1,800,000, much lower for just assault rifles. The odds you are killed by a drunk driver in the next year 1:19000 or over 100 times more likely than being killed by an assault rifle.

Then again, you are the same person that doesn't mind the goverment telling you what you can eat and drink.

As for the dry counties, one of the dumbest things left in this country. It doesn't stop people from drinking, it simply encourages them to spend their money and tax dollars in neighboring counties while driving drunk for extended distances.
http://thetimestribune.com/local/x1511619555/Dry-counties-show-higher-rates-of-DUI-related-crashes

How would a child have a gun? It is illegal for them to own.

The parent cutting up their own RC helicopter. My parents cut up their revolver when I found it on the top of the refridgerator, when I was a child.

Keeping a firearm where a child can get their grubby little paws on it is the height of irresponsibility.

At least they were rational and didn't try to sell it or give it to a friend or donate to the police or military. They cut it up.

We don't have a problem with bombs. There aren't millions of bombs already in the hands of civilians. Besides, if someone wants to make a bomb they just need about $100 and make a trip to Ace Hardware, Wal-Mart or Lowe's. Legalizing them would make no sense and they serve no legit purpose.

Cancer drugs save lives, alcohol for consumption does not. Alcohol ruins lives, kills families and provides very little social benefit. I'm not for outlawing it or even limiting volume because we have the right to make our own decisions and making laws to stop people from drinking doesn't work anyway.

You will never agree with what I have to say. From your post you thinks guns are only made, purchased and used to harm things. You think shooting up a paper target at a target range is harming things. You think that providing food while keeping animal populations in check and limiting diseases is harming things. You think someone having a shotgun in their closet for home defense is harming things. You think shooting skeet is harming things.

Guns are already curbed. The public with extremely few exceptions can't go buy an automatic weapon. You can't go to the store and buy a gatlin gun or even a true multi-fire assault rifle.

The comparison is more than legit. My points are more than fair, you just don't have the ability to see these because you probably enjoy alcohol and despise guns. It's different when it impacts your life and so much easier to try and pass laws and bans for other people. How can you not see that booze related deaths are multiple times higher than gun deaths. How can you not see that millions of people are addicted to alcohol? How can you not see that roughly 100,000,000 in the US alone have an alcoholic in their immediate family? Why is it worse when a 100 or so kids are killed in the classroom each year than when 1400 children are killed by drunk driving accidents? Do you only value the life of a child that was shot?

We've had an assault rifle ban before. We've also had quite a few studies from both sides of the aisle saying it had NO IMPACT ON CRIME, GUN CRIME, HOMICIDES, GUN RELATED DEATHS. So if it doesn't solve any problems why do you care? Do you drive around in fear that some guy is going to pop up with an AR-15 and open fire on you at the Supermarket? If so that fear is irrational, the odds you are killed by a rifle of any kind at any time in the next year is 1:1,800,000, much lower for just assault rifles. The odds you are killed by a drunk driver in the next year 1:19000 or over 100 times more likely than being killed by an assault rifle.

Then again, you are the same person that doesn't mind the goverment telling you what you can eat and drink.

Who doesn't have a problem with bombs? Bomb making is illegal. Lots of people could make lots of bad things if they knew how.

Obviously i'm not saying cancer drugs should be illegal, i'm saying that your argument is that if guns are illegal why not make all things that hurt people illegal. Cars, alcohol, etc. You're abviously trying to illicit a response, but the fact remains that alcohol has been used for medicinal reasons throughout history and are now used to get hammered and have a good time. cars are use for transportation. Guns created to harm people. Gun powder may have been used by the chinese for fireworks, but now it's used to harm people. I'm not against listening to an argument for curbing alcohol, I just wish gun owners were for listening to an argument to curb gun ownership.

well you're just not understanding what I am saying at all. you are ignoring the fact that a gun is created to harm things. That is in fact it's purpose. You can use it to shoot trees or targets. You can even use it to keep overpopulated species in check (which by the way harms those creatures). A gun can be used for protection (even if for good that is harming something). A guns purpose is to harm. I don't think they should be illegal, but I am willing to aknowledge their purpose.

and i'm very happy that you can tell me what kind of person I am. I'm not going to be as assumptive as you and try and tell you who you are.

For your information I am against taxation on things I enjoy, but I'm not going to protest about things that I enjoy being taxed when they're things I don't need. I would like to pay no taxes obviously, but I understand that that isn't reasonable.

I also would prefer if you stopped saying silly things like "is the life of a mexican less than the life of a..." or "do you care about the life of a child more if he's shot...". You're talking outside of both sides of your mouth. You're trying to get an emotion reaction by showing how many children die from alcohol and then you condem me as someone who is ok with their governemtn telling them what they can and can't do. Which is it? do you want to ban alcohol? I guess not. drunk driving is demonized in this country. this country tried to ban alcohol, that made things worse. So this country legalized it and now demonizes drinking and driving. What would you prefer they do? I'd love to hear your idea for curbing child deaths to drunk driving. I hope the argument isn't to legalize crack, meth, heroine and a ton of other drugs like you proposed earlier.

I just wish you'd make up your mind. If it's for sport and shooting targets, then they aren't necessary like cars are and lets open the discussion of what we can restrict. If they are for home protection, then yes their intent is to harm another creature (for good or not).

I don't even know why i'm arguing with someone who is comparing assault rifles to:

Alcohol, fattening foods, Sugar, Tobacco, knives, Baseball bats, dogs, cars, boats, gas, electricity, water, cold air, hot air, lightening, planes, motorcycles, ATV's, plastics, prescription medicine, garage door openers, razor blades, tylenol, bicycles, and about a thousand other things.

Keeping a firearm where a child can get their grubby little paws on it is the height of irresponsibility.

well i was like 5, they didn't think i had the ability to climb up to the top of a refridgerator. It also wasn't loaded. It was probably still pretty dumb of them, but luckily it didn't end badly for me.

well i was like 5, they didn't think i had the ability to climb up to the top of a refridgerator. It also wasn't loaded. It was probably still pretty dumb of them, but luckily it didn't end badly for me.

One thing I've discovered is that five yo boys can climb anywhere, and reach anything.

Who doesn't have a problem with bombs? Bomb making is illegal. Lots of people could make lots of bad things if they knew how.

Obviously i'm not saying cancer drugs should be illegal, i'm saying that your argument is that if guns are illegal why not make all things that hurt people illegal. Cars, alcohol, etc. You're abviously trying to illicit a response, but the fact remains that alcohol has been used for medicinal reasons throughout history and are now used to get hammered and have a good time. cars are use for transportation. Guns created to harm people. Gun powder may have been used by the chinese for fireworks, but now it's used to harm people. I'm not against listening to an argument for curbing alcohol, I just wish gun owners were for listening to an argument to curb gun ownership.

well you're just not understanding what I am saying at all. you are ignoring the fact that a gun is created to harm things. That is in fact it's purpose. You can use it to shoot trees or targets. You can even use it to keep overpopulated species in check (which by the way harms those creatures). A gun can be used for protection (even if for good that is harming something). A guns purpose is to harm. I don't think they should be illegal, but I am willing to aknowledge their purpose.

and i'm very happy that you can tell me what kind of person I am. I'm not going to be as assumptive as you and try and tell you who you are.

For your information I am against taxation on things I enjoy, but I'm not going to protest about things that I enjoy being taxed when they're things I don't need. I would like to pay no taxes obviously, but I understand that that isn't reasonable.

I also would prefer if you stopped saying silly things like "is the life of a mexican less than the life of a..." or "do you care about the life of a child more if he's shot...". You're talking outside of both sides of your mouth. You're trying to get an emotion reaction by showing how many children die from alcohol and then you condem me as someone who is ok with their governemtn telling them what they can and can't do. Which is it? do you want to ban alcohol? I guess not. drunk driving is demonized in this country. this country tried to ban alcohol, that made things worse. So this country legalized it and now demonizes drinking and driving. What would you prefer they do? I'd love to hear your idea for curbing child deaths to drunk driving. I hope the argument isn't to legalize crack, meth, heroine and a ton of other drugs like you proposed earlier.

I just wish you'd make up your mind. If it's for sport and shooting targets, then they aren't necessary like cars are and lets open the discussion of what we can restrict. If they are for home protection, then yes their intent is to harm another creature (for good or not).

I don't even know why i'm arguing with someone who is comparing assault rifles to:

Alcohol, fattening foods, Sugar, Tobacco, knives, Baseball bats, dogs, cars, boats, gas, electricity, water, cold air, hot air, lightening, planes, motorcycles, ATV's, plastics, prescription medicine, garage door openers, razor blades, tylenol, bicycles, and about a thousand other things.

So you are against banning alcohol because the first time we tried that it didn't do any good.

But you are for banning assault rifles because the first time we tried that it didnt' do any good?

I don't know what to do to try and curb alcohol related fatalities, wish I had the answer. I do know that trying something that didn't work the first time isn't a good place to start. I don't know what to do to try and curb gun violence. I do know that trying something that didn't work the first time isn't a good place to start.

I'm not sure why taxation is even being mentioned. Taxing an item to deter people from using it doesn't work, it is just a tax.

As for the legalization of drugs, Portugal has put a model together for the rest of the world to use. I know legalizing hard drugs may scare you, as it does me, but if you want less people using them, less crime, less violent crime and want to actually do something that creates change instead of changing for the sake of change then you may want to read up before completely dismissing the idea.

I wont even give you a direct link, you can choose your own source.
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=...87,d.eWU&fp=acbfb5709eb9abcc&biw=1920&bih=911

You misunderstood me.

I was saying we don't have a big problem with bombs being used in this country. Was not saying that we (I) don't have a problem with people possessing bombs because that would be a big problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom