Just found the next Saints quarterback (1 Viewer)

We got lucky with SC having one of the historically bad olines.. riddled with injury and technique.. performance.

Imo.. he's going to hit the ground running because his clock already has been sped up due how bad the line play was.

I think he would fare well with gruden help.. like Haener got.

I like what I saw from him at SC. However I don’t know his Oklahoma history. Why did he leave?

Love it. Rattlers the guy, timing is everything. He couldn't have landed in a better spot. Carr is going to be an incredible teacher and he'll develop under Andrew Jonoku. The scheme is ideal, he's got support on the staff. Allen was very complementary of his moxie for fighting through adversity as well as his arm talent and ability to make all the throws.

There was little thought into Allen saying he'd come in and compete for the backup job before following that up with confirming he has starter potential.

Love it. Rattlers the guy, timing is everything. He couldn't have landed in a better spot. Carr is going to be an incredible teacher and he'll develop under Andrew Jonoku. The scheme is ideal, he's got support on the staff. Allen was very complementary of his moxie for fighting through adversity as well as his arm talent and ability to make all the throws.

There was little thought into Allen saying he'd come in and compete for the backup job before following that up with confirming he has starter potential.
Sounds like the Haener era is over before it started.

We got lucky with SC having one of the historically bad olines.. riddled with injury and technique.. performance.

Imo.. he's going to hit the ground running because his clock already has been sped up due how bad the line play was.

I think he would fare well with gruden help.. like Haener got.
This is a really interesting point. A lot of the top QBs come into the league after playing behind quality O lines and pass catchers. USC QBs like Leinhart, Sanchez, and Darnold come to mind. They are given all day to throw to quality pass catchers so of course they're going to look great. Then you have QBs who just had to make due with what they had and make the most of it. The talent is there but it's going to be inconsistent due to dodgy pass protection and/or pass catchers.

This is one of the big reasons why it's so hard to evaluate QBs. I have no idea how good Rattler will be. Nobody does. All I know is that he has the talent and he's gamer. One of those scrappy QBs who isn't afraid to mix it up. Yes he's cocky and confident but this has been seen as a positive for a lot of QBs. A lot of people loved Baker Mayfield because he was so scrappy. Same with Joe Burrow. But when it comes to Rattler people just can't even. All goes back to that Netflix show. Rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. It was not a great look but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I played with guys like that in high school. It's not ideal but he's hardly the first cocky, talented, tool bag high school QB. Hell a lot of high school QBs act like that and they aren't even that talented. Give me a tool bag who can play over a class act with a noodle arm every day.

Rattler > Ian Book

What I'd be interested to know is: what would have been the reaction if the thread had come out in november 2023 instead of 2022? Would posters have reacted the same way?

Two things:
1) He left Ok I believe bc of the departure of Lincoln Riley to USC. (Caleb followed him to thr Trojans)
2) Part of his success at SC was due to Xavier Legette.

What I'd be interested to know is: what would have been the reaction if the thread had come out in november 2023 instead of 2022? Would posters have reacted the same way?
Probably not. While he didn’t have a bad season, Rattler did not put up the kind of numbers or win enough games to really justify the 2nd or 3rd round projection that OP put on him, and that’s why he fell to us in the 5th.
I consider it a gift, however. It was really his offensive line that kept him from making that giant leap his senior year. He still improved, but just not enough to really move the needle for scouts, so we got him for cheap.

Telling you guys...

if this guy had a oline last year he wouldve been up against Jayden for Heisman.

In that same sentence, Allen said that he sees both Haener and Rattler as potential starters.

If they thought Rattler was definitely the future or that Haener definitely wasn't, I doubt the Saints take the risk of waiting until the 5th to draft him.

It's not like they took a risk of waiting one pick or one round. They sat through the entire 3rd and 4th rounds without making a move for Rattler, after having moved up to get their guy in Kool Aid. If the Saints were targeting Rattler, I think they would have been aggressive in the 3rd or 4th round to get their guy, like they did with Kool Aid.

There's nothing that indicates the Saints felt an urgency to draft another QB or Rattler. It just worked out that he was clearly the BPA when they picked in the 5th round.

The best scenario for the Saints is that both Haener and Rattler develop into high quality starting QB's. That's the outcome every fan should root for. because that's the best outcome for the team.

Last edited:
I like what I saw from him at SC. However I don’t know his Oklahoma history. Why did he leave?
He left because Caleb Williams came in and took the staring job, and he could see he wouldn't be getting it back. Smart move by him because he went elsewhere where he could show his talent.
Then, of course, the following season, Williams left with the coach for USC, so the job might have gone back to him, but obviously he had no way of knowing that would happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom