Juwan Johnson Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
During the offseason, Juwan Johnson was asked to move to TE. Often, when a player is asked to change positions, the outcome usually ain’t good.

But Johnsons situation is a lil different, n may end up being one of the exceptions to dat rule.

First of all, the move was not dat surprising, because many had already suggested his best fit in the NFL was at TE. He was listed at 6’4”, 230 lbs at the Combine. But he also had 34 1/2 in arms n 10 1/2 in hands! In other words, he had a frame that could easily carry another 10-15 lbs, without losing any speed or quickness. Along with his natural WR ability, ball skills, high football IQ n esp his “want to” in making the transition, this was more than jus another “experiment”. It COULD actually work!

After a quiet start in TC, Juwan started coming along, and last week, he caught 4TDs in only 2 daysBut perhaps more importantly, he was becoming a fav target of ALL of the QBs!

It carried over against the Ravens. Johnson had only 2 catches, but for 71 yds. He caught one from Jameis, n the other from Book. Again, to me, it shows they are looking for him, and again, he came thru for them.

And earlier today, Jameis went to Johnson for yet another big completion downfield!

Yeah, I know he still has a long way to go, n lots to learn. So I won’t get too excited. But for now, I think “so far so good” will do, n wish him all the best this season! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Side note: Awhile back, Cee Dee Duce called Juwan, “Baby Megatron”! I thought it was part in fun, but also part cool, cause he was hypin up his fellow, young offensive teammate. But looking at how Juwan has played so far, maybe Chauncey was onto something! We’ll see.

Stay tuned!

Let’s pump the brakes. While I’m rooting for this guy, he has to prove himself in the regular season. Let’s face it, he could be a HUGE asset if he gets 25-30 catches.
I totally agree! We really won’t know anything until the bullets start flying for real in the regular season. All I’m sayn is that for a guy playin a new position, overall, Juwan’s been doin pretty well so far, which is why I wanted to give him a “shout out” for his effort n play!

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Dude he said he likes to eat…..gain weight play football he’s in.
On a serious note here’s to hoping it plays out.

I totally agree! We really won’t know anything until the bullets start flying for real in the regular season. All I’m sayn is that for a guy playin a new position, overall, Juwan’s been doin pretty well so far, which is why I wanted to give him a “shout out” for his effort n play!

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

I agree. Once he takes a shot from a blitzing linebacker or safety Sean’s going to know if he has a serviceable tight end or a wide receiver playing out of position.

it’s all about the blocking.

Any Glimmer of a hope for a recieving threat is nice at this point. If Juwan and Trautman emerge as recieving targets that can be counted on, itll vastly help this offense.
Yep! I already had it my mind not to look at any one individual player, but the overall production from the TEs as a GROUP this season. At least 600-700 yds n 5-6 TDs n we’re good.

I agree. Once he takes a shot from a blitzing linebacker or safety Sean’s going to know if he has a serviceable tight end or a wide receiver playing out of position.

it’s all about the blocking.
Lol! Nah, I don’t think he’s juus there yet as a blocker in pass coverage. It’ll be a process for Juwan. When it comes to blocking, the FIRST thing he needs to learn n do is be a serviceable run blocker. As a TE, it’s not about “pancakes”. It’s usually about using a combination of technique n leverage to “seal” the edge at the line, or OLB, or go downfield to the DBs. Against the Ravens, Trout held his own at the edge, which sprung Jones for his TD!

In pass protection ,it’s the RBs who are usually responsible for blitz pickup. BTW, Tony Jones did an excellent job in dat area the other night against the Ravens! 👍

Last edited:
And if you watch his Tik Toks …..he appears to be a really good dude, very funny, teammates like him…..and his wife doesn’t play, she’s got him wrapped around her finger 🤣🤣

BTW, Jimmy Graham is easily the most explosive pass catching TE we ever had. But he never blocked ANYBODY!!!!

On RealGM/Bulls they do appreciation threads when a guy is let go (I think even on here) but I immediately thought he was released and thought "what happened to given him a chance?"

Glad this was a misinterpretation.

On RealGM/Bulls they do appreciation threads when a guy is let go (I think even on here) but I immediately thought he was released and thought "what happened to given him a chance?"

Glad this was a misinterpretation.
Lol!

Yeah, I thought about making the title “A Shoutout To Juwan…” But I felt he’s been more deserving than that!

So FIRST, I wanted folk to recognize him for putting in all the hard work and effort, starting from way back in the offseason, in making the transition to TE. But like I said,overall, he’s actually done pretty well so far!

While it was only ONE preseason game, what I liked most about Juwan is how his solid play n production in TC carried over in dat game!

Yeah, yeah, I know it’s early n he’s got a long way to go. But it’s a PROCESS, and as far as overall development goes, he’s been, n continues to be moving in the right direction!

Keep it up, young man! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Lol!

Yeah, I thought about making the title “A Shoutout To Juwan…” But I felt he’s been more deserving than that!

So FIRST, I wanted folk to recognize him for putting in all the hard work and effort, starting from way back in the offseason, in making the transition to TE. But like I said,overall, he’s actually done pretty well so far!

While it was only ONE preseason game, what I liked most about Juwan is how his solid play n production in TC carried over in dat game!

Yeah, yeah, I know it’s early n he’s got a long way to go. But it’s a PROCESS, and as far as overall development goes, he’s been, n continues to be moving in the right direction!

Keep it up, young man! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
I like your enthusiasm. It's kinda contagious 👍👍👍😁

I like your enthusiasm. It's kinda contagious 👍👍👍😁
Lol thanks, saints4eva! I don’t start many threads, so I appreciated yours, n ALL the other positive responses! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Ironically, the day after my thread, Nick Underhill wrote a nice article on Juwan. In it, he brought up n talked about some of the very same points I did about Juwan in his transition to TE. Here’s a lil of it:

“You can’t find a person on or around the team who isn’t raving about the things Johnson is doing in practices. This position switch isn’t just about trying to find a spot for a guy and hoping it works out. The process is working, and Johnson will contribute this season. The only question is how much he’ll be able to do.”

Again, we’ll see!

But IF I end up being wrong about Juwan, at least I know I wasn’t the ONLY one! 😂😂😂

Last edited:
I don't think it is time to pump the brakes (as stated up thread)...in fact, I think it is time to slam the gas! Before Underhill wrote that, The Athletics' Kat Terrell wrote in a mailbag that she sees Juwan taking on the old Jared Cook role (minus the drops and fumbles, hopefully)...he could be a very big contributor if he continues to build successful reps this week and in camp.

I'm pretty excited about both Trautman and Juwan. They compliment each other pretty well, and if he can show even decent blocking skills we could be lethal running 2 tight end sets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom