Karate Kid Sequel (3 Viewers)

There is still the big international competition. I don’t think they would end the show with that just hanging out there. I’m not sure how they make it compelling considering how this season ended, but I have faith they will find a way.
But all of the loose ends are tied up…well except for the obvious two (the tourney) and the final scene stuff. But that can be tied up in a good movie. That’s what I’m hoping for. There is just not enough content to do more than that in my opinion.

Good Macchio article
=================
For 30 years and more, whenever the American actor Ralph Macchio attends a sports event, the chances are that a live image of his face will flash up on the arena’s big screen.

Macchio’s name will appear, always accompanied by a three-word explanation of who he used to be. “Guys, remember the Karate Kid from the 1980s? He’s here, he’s alive, he watches baseball, too!”

Macchio is a fan of standup comedy. But if he sits in the audience at a show he must always be prepared to be singled out. “Hey Ralph, didn’t I see you waxing on and waxing off at a car wash? You guys might know Macchio from The Karate Kid trilogy. And if you don’t know him from those movies, then you don’t know him at all…”

A natural sweetheart, this 60-year-old has spent most of his life taking such indignities with good grace.

In 2018, after decades of scant employment, existing in the public mind as a where-are-they-now curiosity, Macchio found his professional stoicism rewarded. He made a comeback, taking part in a TV show called Cobra Kai that successfully revived the Karate Kid story for a new generation

of viewers on YouTube, then on Netflix. As recently as 2016, Macchio was able to mock himself at a charity event, revealing his secret to looking so young in middle age: “Not working.”

These days he has been working quite a lot. He is sent scripts. He won a part in a David Simondrama, The Deuce, for HBO. Soon he will publish an autobiography, Waxing On, that tells the story of his fast rise in the 1980s, his long, lean spell from the 1990s onwards, before his abrupt reinstatement to pop-culture relevance a few years ago. “It’s extraordinary how things come around,” Macchio says, cheerfully, when he joins me on a video call one day in September……

It has kind of run its course. I enjoyed last season but it's probably time to let it bow out before it overstay its welcome.

Last season would have been the perfect ending, but they chose to leave a couple of unnecessary open threads.

short article on the making of the original
========================

I was a skinny kid and looked young for my age, which was tough. I got a part in Francis Ford Coppola’s The Outsiders playing Johnny Cade. The reviews were positive: I was a young actor feeling good, maybe a little cocky. I got a call about a movie called The Karate Kid and thought: “That’s a silly title. Is it a cartoon?” They sent me the script and I met the director, John G Avildsen, at his apartment in New York.

John’s hallway was filled with actors vying to play Daniel LaRusso, the film’s hero. Everyone was making fun of the title. I immediately became defensive – in hindsight, I was already beginning to own the part. John had a camera on me as soon as I sat down. I was from the suburbs of Long Island and emphasised my New York accent. That attitude fed into Daniel’s move from east coast to west coast in the movie. He is new in a town where it seems that everybody has a BMW, cool sunglasses and blond hair – and he wants to defend his roots. There was one big difference between us, though. Daniel has bravado and won’t quit. If I got my arse kicked by five karate experts on motorcycles, I would have probably found a different route to school.

There was an effortless ease from the first reading with Pat Morita, who played Mr Miyagi, Daniel’s mentor. It felt as if we had been kissed by some soulful magic. Mr Miyagi is The Karate Kid. He’s a human Yoda, a father figure, the secret sauce that makes the film not just another 1980s coming-of-age movie.

Apart from four jiu-jitsu lessons when I was 10, I had no martial arts experience. Before filming, I was trained in Okinawan Gōjū-ryū karate by Pat E Johnson, who coordinated the fight scenes and played the head referee in the tournament at the end of the film.

I saw the movie for the first time at a sneak preview at the Baronet and Coronet theatre in Manhattan. I can still feel that rush, like being on the back row of a rollercoaster when you’re seeing everyone’s heads and shoulders move in concert. The love affair between this kid, his mentor and the audience kept building. During the final fight scene, people jumped out of their seats as if their team had won the World Cup or the Super Bowl. When I left the cinema, everyone was doing the crane kick on Third Avenue.............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom