Keeping with the throwback theme What about Jim Mora? (1 Viewer)

Tough coaches like Mora rise fast, have good success then burn out fast. Mora beat the odds for several years. I know his toughness wore thin on some of the marginal players.

I recall the Saints getting shellacked 1 week under Mora. They really looked weak, and not focused. The next week, we played the Rams, or maybe it was the Vikings. We mostly ran the ball, and I could hear the pads popping like I had never heard before. The players were all business, no swagger or celebration, but hitting as hard as they could. That game made me realize that football is a game of pain. The team that's willing to take the most pain to win will have success. The coach that can convince his players to endure the pain will win games. That coach was Mora.

I spent time w/Mora(he brought almost every free agent visitor for dinner), back then. As former Marines, we had common exp & got along.
He ran the team like the Corps. No nonsense, failure is not an option, kinda thing. He was way too loyal to his OC, but wasted Sidwell's scheme w/O shortcomings.
I was surprised @ the final sheetstorm, but you could see it coming.
Really good, inspirational coach, but never had the next gear, to finish.

He was too hard headed. Should have won or been in multiple Super Bowls.

moreso, i wish we could have that Mora defensive staff with Payton's offensive staffing.. talk about dominance.. have to agree with Jim Finks comment, when he quit acting GM, we fell apart, but that actually started before he died.

Bobby Hebert was underrated. Look at USFL highlights. He chucked it downfield better than Young and Kelley. He looked better than both. I don’t think Breese would have flourished under Carl “ I can’t scheme offense” Smith. Hell, Montana would have looked pedestrian.

someone asked Joe Montana if him and Hebert switched Teams how would each do. He said it would be Hebert with multiple rings not me.

He was too hard headed. Should have won or been in multiple Super Bowls.

Your not suggesting should have won them here are you? There was a fairly good team in that old West division that might have had something to say about it.

We had some extremely solid teams under JM. Unfortunately it took a lot more than that against that WC offense.

He did a good job luring USFL talent, imagine if he was able to get Steve Young or Jim Kelly instead of being stuck with Bobby Hebert. I realize Bobby is beloved but I cannot support a player who quits and blames his receivers for his issues.

He almost didn’t get Hebert. Hebert was going to Seattle until the governor stepped in.

Your not suggesting should have won them here are you? There was a fairly good team in that old West division that might have had something to say about it.

We had some extremely solid teams under JM. Unfortunately it took a lot more than that against that WC offense.
This all day.
Had it not been for San Fran in our division we’d have won a couple imo.

This all day.
Had it not been for San Fran in our division we’d have won a couple imo.

yes. We were at least 2 all pro level skill players from even being in the same discussion with them. And if we had had that we would have had to hire an actual offensive coordinator since we would have an actual offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom