Klein to Buffalo (1 Viewer)

Indeed, our LB corps improved immediately when he signed here in 2017 and they all seem to forget that. He was a large part of the reason we have gone 6-1 over the last 3 years against Carolina after going 2-4 against them the 3 years before.

I wouldn’t mind upgrading the SAM position either, but we could definitely do a lot worse than Klein. These people are thinking good SAMs grow on trees. If they did, it wouldn’t have taken us 7 years to find a decent one after Fujita left.

It’s like they don’t remember the years of David Hawthorne, and Parys Haralson, and Ramon Humber, and that god awful 2016 season where we moved Stephone Anthony to SAM after playing MIKE his rookie year. ?
I agree with your general position that Klein was an under-rated, role player who did a lot towards helping improve the Defense since 2017 with his vet savvy, you could tell he was a great Film study guy as he was really good pre-snap.

I'm not too, too worried however because to your second point I feel the SAM position in today's game is becoming less valuable with the shift to more 3, and 4 receiver sets, and more athletic Tight Ends who specialize in the pass game (or big slots) I think teams are moving more towards just getting better athletes who can match up in the passing game, and just as a baseline not be a liability against the run. Instead of being a Stack & Shed Tackler as your first priority.

The more and more I think about it.. the more I'm liking the idea of Trading down out of the first round and picking up Day 2 picks. The Saints could get a true SAM backer like Malik Harrison in the 2nd round, or if they wanted to plug a versatile, athlete type player they could get grab a Jeremy Chinn, or Kyle Dugger later in Day 2 as well to fit that Hybrid Box roamer, Nickel Linebacker role.

I agree with your general position that Klein was an under-rated, role player who did a lot towards helping improve the Defense since 2017 with his vet savvy, you could tell he was a great Film study guy as he was really good pre-snap.

I'm not too, too worried however because to your second point I feel the SAM position in today's game is becoming less valuable with the shift to more 3, and 4 receiver sets, and more athletic Tight Ends who specialize in the pass game (or big slots) I think teams are moving more towards just getting better athletes who can match up in the passing game, and just as a baseline not be a liability against the run. Instead of being a Stack & Shed Tackler as your first priority.

The more and more I think about it.. the more I'm liking the idea of Trading down out of the first round and picking up Day 2 picks. The Saints could get a true SAM backer like Malik Harrison in the 2nd round, or if they wanted to plug versatile, athlete type player they could get grab a Jeremy Chinn, or Kyle Dugger later in Day 2 as well to fit that Hybrid Box roamer, Nickel Linebacker role.

He was great with the cerebral part of the game. If he had been as good post snap as he was pre snap he’d have been a HOF’er.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Joey is better than Collins, but that’s just my $.02
Just my opinion. He is 4 yrs younger and I just haven't seen Collins be much outside of the BB/NE system. Schobert is almost underrated in that he can do everything really well. But esp in coverage. I will give you that Collins is the better pass rusher...

Since I see you seem to have a mighty strong opinion about Klein, Would you care to elaborate on it, @lforet2002? Or you just going to keep spamming the post reactions and contribute nothing to the conversation? ?

Very unfairly. The trend that I noticed is those that were *****ing about Klein the loudest and most frequently are the same ones that more than likely couldn’t label a defensive front on a chalkboard/whiteboard even if they had a wordbank.

They see Klein try to pick up someone else’s busted coverage and they just spout off, “oH hE gOt BeAt BeCaUsE hE’s tOo sLoW” or he sets his edge and gets washed out while the RB cuts back inside because someone else lost backside contain.

I also noticed that Demario Davis's play was markedly better when Klein was on the field.

The Saints are not only going to have to replace a decent player but also the leadership and smarts he brought to the field as well!

I also noticed that Demario Davis's play was markedly better when Klein was on the field.

The Saints are not only going to have to replace a decent player but also the leadership and smarts he brought to the field as well!

His cerebral abilities will definitely be missed.

This is a first - Buffalo getting one of our best defenders. In the Payton era it was always the other way around.

Which player will become SaintReports new punching bag now that Klein is gone?

Marcus Williams.

And Davenport. I like the kid...would've still drafted him with our first round pick...But hell no to giving up a following year's first round pick too just for how much he has produced thus far.

Really improved under Mike Nolan and really complemented DeMario. He improved every year he was a was a good core guy. Got him and his last big pay day and is going to the AFC, I wish him well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom