Lambeau Field Experience (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I had a chance to go for the first time to Lambeau Field Sunday to watch the Seattle-Green Bay game. These are my observations and opinions regarding that experience:

1. The stadium complex is extremely attractive. The stadium facade and the huge atrium built into the stadium are very attractive. The atrium houses the team's offices; a large restaurant; a team gift shop that seems to be the size of a supermarket; and the Packer Hall of Fame, which, though much smaller, is comparable to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The team's practice fields, indoor facility, and other facilities are all located near the stadium.

2. The stadium is located three miles or so from downtown Green Bay on the west side of the Fox River. There are bars, stores and houses in the area--including "party houses" cross the street from the stadium that are rented out. But the stadium is somewhat isolated.

3. The Packer Hall of Fame and the Stadium Tour are excellent and highly recommended. There is also a trolley tour of Green Bay that goes past places in Green Bay associated with the Packers--the Northland Hotel, the old City Stadium, the downtown Catholic Church where Lombardi would attend Mass each morning. The trolley tour is a nice way to see Green Bay, which is an old city with a population of about 105,000, but is hardly a must-do attraction.

4. It was cold and snowed on Sunday. There is not much to see in the area except for the Lambeau Field complex.

5. The people in the area, including those in the stadium on game day, are very pleasant and polite. The area is incredibly clean. The weather last weekend was for me challenging. Unless you like a steady diet of bar food or diner food, the food is not good.

6. I stayed in Appleton, which is about 25 miles from Green Bay. When the Packers are playing, the hotel rates in the few hotels in Green Bay soar in price. But it is easy to find in the cities around Green Bay a bus going to and from the game at a reasonable price. My bus was a bargain $25; however, it was a school bus that went from the creatively named The Bar outside Appleton to the creatively named The Bar three blocks from the stadium. Riding down rural highways and seeing a snow-covered countryside, I thought I was in a scene in Hossiers.

7. Though I arrived early, entering the stadium was incredibly easy. There was no check for vaccination or a negative Covid testing. The security check is common-sensical and takes one-tenth the time the security check at the Superdome takes. And then the stadium has young people outside the stadium with sensors scanning the tickets, rather than the fans themselves scanning their tickets, and this process was done more quickly than it is done in the Superdome.

8. The concourse must be about 100 feet wide. There is plenty of room to walk, and there are a number of food and drink counters and booths. There may be a tad more diversity in food offerings at Lambeau than in the Superdome--no jambalaya, but gyros and chicken-noodle soup. I tried only the hot chocolate.

9. The stadium reminds me a bit of Tiger Stadium. The lower bowl goes back to the 1950s and has aluminum and narrow bench-bleacher seating. There is a ton of private boxes, and upper-deck endzone seating was added. Supposedly, the seating capacity exceeds 80,000, but the stadium looks 10,000 seats smaller.

10. The video monitors actually show the game as it is being played. One can watch the game on the monitors rather than on the field.

11. I did not find the stadium very loud. It may have been that the fans were trying to survive the cold, but few around me were making noise when Seattle had the ball, despite the monitors urging the fans to make noise, as they do in the Superdome.

12. Many of the fans stand during much of the game. Of course, if the people in front of you are standing, then you have to stand to see. I suspect a reason that so many stand is that standing, especially when it is cold, is more comfortable than sitting on those narrow bench-bleachers. The seating at Lambeau Field made me appreciate the seating and comfort we have in the Superdome.

13. The stands at Lambeau are very close to the field.

14. Much was made that the Packers have a 180,000 or so season-ticket waiting list. The stadium was packed before the game began, and nearly all were wearing team colors, especially Packer jerseys. However, it must be noted that for the last 30 years Green has had a current or future HOF quarterback.

15. I am glad I went and had the experience. But I do not anticipate making the trip again--especially in the winter. There is simply not much in the area to do outside the game, and the game experience met, but did not exced, expectations. But again, the weather surely affected my experience.

Last edited:
We went for LSU/Wisconsin...pretty cool experience. We drove in from Chicago and parked in someones front yard for $20 just 4 blocks down from stadium, and they had a party goin on

AND WAAAAAAAAAAAAY WARMER

i gorged myself on brats and curds tho.

Agree on all else - the folks up there are SUPER friendly PRE GAME. ;)

I had a chance to go for the first time to Lambeau Field Sunday to watch the Seattle-Green Bay game. These are my observations and opinions regarding that experience:

1. The stadium complex is extremely attractive. The stadium facade and the huge atrium built into the stadium are very attractive. The atrium houses the team's offices; a large restaurant; a team gift shop that seems to be the size of a supermarket; and the Packer Hall of Fame, which, though much smaller, is comparable to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The team's practice fields, indoor facility, and other facilities are all located near the stadium.

2. The stadium is located three miles or so from downtown Green Bay on the west side of the Fox River. There are bars, stores and houses in the area--including "party houses" cross the street from the stadium that are rented out. But the stadium is somewhat isolated.

3. The Packer Hall of Fame and the Stadium Tour are excellent and highly recommended. There is also a trolley tour of Green Bay that goes past places in Green Bay associated with the Packers--the Northland Hotel, the old City Stadium, the downtown Catholic Church where Lombardi would attend Mass each morning. The trolley tour is a nice way to see Green Bay, which is an old city with a population of about 105,000, but is hardly a must-do attraction.

4. It was cold and snowed on Sunday. There is not much to see in the area except for the Lambeau Field complex.

5. The people in the area, including those in the stadium on game day, are very pleasant and polite. The area is incredibly clean. The weather last weekend was for me challenging. Unless you like a steady diet of bar food or diner food, the food is not good.

6. I stayed in Appleton, which is about 25 miles from Green Bay. When the Packers are playing, the hotel rates in the few hotels in Green Bay soar in price. But it is easy to find in the cities around Green Bay a bus going to and from the game at a reasonable price. My bus was a bargain $25; however, it was a school bus that went from the creatively named The Bar outside Appleton to the creatively named The Bar three blocks from the stadium. Riding down rural highways and seeing a snow-covered countryside, I thought I was in a scene in Hossiers.

7. Though I arrived early, entering the stadium was incredibly easy. There was no check for vaccination or a negative Covid testing. The security check is common-sensical and takes one-tenth the time the security check at the Superdome takes. And then the stadium has young people outside the stadium with sensors scanning the tickets, rather than the fans themselves scanning their tickets, and this process was done more quickly than it is done in the Superdome.

8. The concourse must be about 100 feet wide. There is plenty of room to walk, and there are a number of food and drink counters and booths. There may be a tad more diversity in food offerings at Lambeau than in the Superdome--no jambalaya, but gyros and chicken-noodle soup. I tried only the hot chocolate.

9. The stadium reminds me a bit of Tiger Stadium. The lower bowl goes back to the 1950s and has aluminum and narrow bench-bleacher seating. There are a ton of private boxes, and upper-deck endzone seating was added. Supposedly, the seating capacity exceeds 80,000, but the stadium looks 10,000 seats smaller.

10. The video monitors actually show the game as it is being played. One can watch the game on the monitors rather than on the field.

11. I did not find the stadium very loud. It may have been that the fans were trying to survive the cold, but few around me were making noise when Seattle had the ball, despite the monitors urging the fans to make noise, as they do in the Superdome.

12. Many of the fans stand during much of the game. Of course, if the people in front of you are standing, then you have to stand to see. I suspect a reason that so many stand is that standing, especially when it is cold, is more comfortable than sitting on those narrow bench-bleachers. The seating at Lambeau Field made me appreciate the seating and comfort we have in the Superdome.

14. Much was made that the Packers have a 180,000 or so season-ticket waiting list. The stadium was packed before the game began, and nearly all were wearing team colors, especially Packer jerseys. However, it must be noted that for the last 30 years Green has had a current or future HOF quarterback.

15. I am glad I went and had the experience. But I do not anticipate making the trip again--especially in the winter. There is simply not much in the area to do outside the game, and the game experience met, but did not exced, expectations. But again, the weather surely affected my experience.
I went for the Saints/Packers game in 2017. I had a wonderful experience. I too stayed in Appleton. I found the fans to be friendly and knowledgeable (the angriest they got was when Saints FB Zach Line dropped a pass and they thought we'd cut longtime Packer fan favorite John Kuhn for him, but I told them he suffered a season-ending injury).

I lucked out with weather. It was cloudy and gray with a little light rain before the game (that stopped during the game) but the temps remained in the mid-50s. So my photos look all moody and atmospheric like you'd want Lambeau to look but I wasn't freezing my butt off at the game either.

I know what you mean re: seating capacity. When I was told an hour before the game it seated 80,000 people I said "How in God's name do they fit 80,000 in what seems like such an intimate venue?" Then when the game started and my shoulders and hips were touching the shoulders and hips of each person sitting next to me (and I'm a thin man), I knew how. I would not recommend the experience for anyone who's claustrophobic.

But I loved the stadium as a whole. You say Tiger Stadium, and I definitely got a college town vibe from the scene that weekend around Lambeau, but the stadium itself kinda reminded me of Fenway Park in a weird way, perhaps b/c I'd visited Fenway for the first time a year earlier. They're both old-school classic stadiums that have clearly been renovated, but renovated in a good way that maintains the quaint, old-school feel.370BC8E6-D095-4C73-BB60-3A50D86E0698.jpeg

Sounds like fun. Ill never forget going to Fenway. Ive been to other Ballparks, Arlington, Astrodome, Angels, Kansas City, Dodgers, Minute Maid and various minor league fields. Fenway was an experience unlike any other. It felt like you were on sacred ground.

9. The stadium reminds me a bit of Tiger Stadium. The lower bowl goes back to the 1950s and has aluminum and narrow bench-bleacher seating. There is a ton of private boxes, and upper-deck endzone seating was added. Supposedly, the seating capacity exceeds 80,000, but the stadium looks 10,000 seats smaller.

Would of thought for sure GB would have lots of good food. Food is definitely the most important part of any trip. I could go on a trip to paradise but if the food is subpar im very disappointed. If i go to a crummy place but food is excellent im in heaven then.

I have been a few times living up here. The highlight was seeing LSU play Wisconsin. There are tons of things to do a little further north but you would need a car. I love Lambeau and would say it is the second best stadium I have been to outside of Tiger stadium. And they have the nicest fans of any stadium I have been to.

It
We went for LSU/Wisconsin...pretty cool experience. We drove in from Chicago and parked in someones front yard for $20 just 4 blocks down from stadium, and they had a party goin on

AND WAAAAAAAAAAAAY WARMER

i gorged myself on brats and curds tho.

Agree on all else - the folks up there are SUPER friendly PRE GAME. ;)
It was hot as heck that day. I was sitting in the lower section on the east side and the sun was brutal lol.

Would of thought for sure GB would have lots of good food. Food is definitely the most important part of any trip. I could go on a trip to paradise but if the food is subpar im very disappointed. If i go to a crummy place but food is excellent im in heaven then.

There is good food. Brats are fantastic. I don't know about near the stadium but downtown there are some great places. It isn't southern food, but it's good.

It's a place every football fan should go to--if they are able.
But yeah, best to go early season if you do not like the cold, the narrow metal bleachers do not help--hence why you stand 75% of the time. People are usually great, only once did I have an issue where a guy swung at my while I was at the urinal--but he was a drunk idiot and his friends nearly beat him up after they saw what he tried. Food is very meh, but the pre-game tailgaiting is really where the party is at, we are famous for it in WI...a lot of folks make really fun/good foods.

It's a place every football fan should go to--if they are able.
But yeah, best to go early season if you do not like the cold, the narrow metal bleachers do not help--hence why you stand 75% of the time. People are usually great, only once did I have an issue where a guy swung at my while I was at the urinal--but he was a drunk idiot and his friends nearly beat him up after they saw what he tried. Food is very meh, but the pre-game tailgaiting is really where the party is at, we are famous for it in WI...a lot of folks make really fun/good foods.

Where do you live e in Wisconsin. We should all unite and tailgate the next time the Saints are up here, Jambalaya etc.

Heck Yeah!
I am in the suburbs north of Milwaukee, I never miss when the saints come to Lambeau--even pre-season. I have partied with a ton of great Who Dats over the years!

Heck Yeah!
I am in the suburbs north of Milwaukee, I never miss when the saints come to Lambeau--even pre-season. I have partied with a ton of great Who Dats over the years!
Cool. I am down in the Lake Geneva area.

Nope. I don't have a Saints jersey, and I was wearing a long winter overcoat. But I was wearing a Saints beanie-type hat.

And one more.

16. I don't remember seeing any kids at the game. All adults.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom