Lance Moore Non call (1 Viewer)

This has been all said before, but I'll say it again because a lot of people seem to misunderstand PI....Calls in past years involved "where the DB was looking" because the DB made contact before the ball got there. If he's playing the ball, and not the WR, then he has as much right to the ball as the WR. He can't push off or throw him down (Roddystyle) but he can contest him in a fight for the ball. That's when it matters where the DB was looking.

If the ball hits a player before contact is made, as it did in this play, the issue of where the DB's attention was focused is a moot point. Lance should've come back harder, the DB got very lucky, and the referee got the call exactly right.

I was about to write something similar before I saw your post. You summed it up perfectly. Where the defender is looking is only important if there was contact before the ball arrived. Thumb sup for you, sir. I'm glad someone gets it...

Instead of jumping into the defender and trying to catch the ball at it's highest point

Not to be nitpicky, but to do that he would have to be 40 feet in the air when the ball is at its apex. That saying always gets to me, because to do so is humanly impossible.

My thoughts (not that they are worth anything):

A. I personally didn't see any contact before the ball arrived, even on the slow-mo view. It looked to me like the ball hit the back of the corner before he hit Moore.

B. Someone above-referenced the call on Porter as being a bad one as a result of this one not being called, and implied they weren't called equally. Well, the Porter interference was far more obvious (again, just my opinion). He clearly took out the receivers arm with his swipe, a step or two the ball even arrived.

C. It's hard to blame Moore, because I realize he was running full-speed and ended up being off-balance...but the great receivers would have slowed down once they got a step on the corner, and made it a point to essentially initiate contact themselves. If Moore had been able to do that (and again, who knows if it was physically possible for him), then this discussion is moot.

Agree completely with this post. Good JOB!!:9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom