Laptop est muerte (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I tried to download a file yesterday just a song, but I noticed tht it had .exe....didn't notice it until it came in -- computer went haywire, installed a new start page, 2 new shortcuts on my desktop, my virus program gave about 5 alerts, one saying sometihng about the registry. It was so slow and doing so much crap, I restarted it and now it won't boot up.

I tried F8 and safe mode, every mode possible and it always does hte same thing -- it looks like it's booting and then just goes to a black screen and then nothing.

If it were me I'd go into bios, set primary boot device to cdrom and put your windows disc in the drive. You probably have to wipe everything and reinstall the drivers for your peripherals.

All data would be gone though.

Thats just me.

It's one of those netbooks with no disc drive. I TRULY do not want to lose my data.

You more than likely lost your data. If you don't want to lose your data in the future, don't download .exe songs and run them to install viruses on your machine... :9:

You should be able to pull the hard drive out and use an adapter to see if it's readable via another machine.

grab a thumbdrive and download a live version of linux to put on it. boot from the drive and you should at least be able to grab what you want to keep off the netbook.

Thanks -- can you recommend a website to download "a live version of linux" and would running it an external drive do the same thing

You should be able to pull the hard drive out and use an adapter to see if it's readable via another machine.

Or, alternately, if you have an external CD/DVD drive you can connect via USB, you can boot to a CD. If its an XP netbook, you can try a bartPE disk, or a linux disk such as Ubuntu (do not install, just boot to the disk itself.) Connect an external drive or flash drive, copy your files off, and do whatever you have to do.

Some netbooks have very hidden recovery partitions, so dont be to eager to just ru off and reinstall via a CD, or you'll lose it all.

If you do this, be careful not to get virus spread. I'd only suggest this if you have a machine locked down tight on rights and antivirus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom