Lawsuit For Showing Brokeback Mountain to 8th Graders (1 Viewer)

chime in Hoyasaint with a TOS anouncement.....

I saw Andy Warhol's "Lonesome Cowboy" at 15, starring the unforgettable Joe Dellasandro. Scarred me for life, I tells ya!

:=(

Pink_Flamingos_DVD.jpg

Never saw the movie but have heard that not only is their a sex scene in the movie but there is also a frontal nude scene.
Can anyone confirm this?

No. There isn't a frontal nude scene. The sex scene is brief, and we have all seen more graphic "straight" material on primetime TV. The movie is mostly about their personal struggles with their orientation. It could just as easily been a story about a bi-racial couple in Wyoming during the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

The average 12 YO is more shocking.

but letting 12 yr olds see a movie designated for 17 and above that is a very bad lapse of judgement on the sub's part.

It could just as easily been a story about a bi-racial couple in Wyoming during the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

QUOTE]

Let's not make it seem so similiar.
Me dating Jules in the 60's in Wyoming isn't the same as 2 cowboys being unable to "Quit eachother". If you wanted to, you could choose to not sleep with another man.
I can't decide to not be black.

restricted.gif
In the opinion of the Rating Board, this film definitely contains some adult material. Parents are strongly urged to find out more about this film before they allow their children to accompany them. An R-rated film may include strong language, violence, nudity, drug abuse, other elements, or a combination of the above, so parents are counseled in advance to take this advisory rating very seriously.

http://www.mpaa.org/FlmRat_Ratings.asp

There is no nudity to speak of in the movie.
There is. Female breasts and male buttocks. No frontal of either gender though that I recall...

Movie should not have been aired for an 8th grade class though, unless with express written approval by parents and even then I would think it more appropriate for later years -- 12 year olds is a bit early.

However the lawsuit is a big overreaction. Where are the tort reformers on this one? The student was forced to keep their eyes open? Yes the substitute overtepped the line and should be fired without pay and without any chance of being hired again as a teacher of any sort. But severe psychological distress to the tune of $500K?

HennessyRob said:
If you wanted to, you could choose to not sleep with another man.
I can't decide to not be black
But you can't decide to not fall in love with someone (well you COULD but it can be difficult). The point Sabine was making (IMO) was not black vs gay, but interracial marriage/love vs homosexual marriage/love.

To HennessyRob:

The point I was trying to make is that this is not a story about two guys having sex. It's a love story fraught with their personal struggles with a relationship that was taboo for the time and setting, period.

I might be missing some vital piece of info here, because it seems like I touched a nerve. I don't know who Jules is or anybody's race, and I'm not trying to upset anybody.

Personally, I don't think anyone should define what love is for another person. I say pick whoever you want to grow old with and go for it. For me, race, gender, religion, are all non-issues in that respect. I know there are a great many that don't see it as I do, and there were even more back then. Let's not forget that it's been only about 40 years since Loving vs.Virginia was decided, the case that prevented states from prohibiting interracial marriages. In the 1960s, there were many places in the country in which bi-racial dating/marriage was taboo. Wrongfully of course, but that is how it was back then. My high school did not desegregate until 1975, and parents' fears of interracial dating was what was holding up desperately needed, long overdue change. Ironically, some of the anti-gay marriage arguments we hear today are very similar to the anti-interracial marriage arguments used 40 years ago. They didn't make sense to me then and they don't today. I look forward to homophobia becoming a thing of the past.

I disagree with your position (if it is your position) that it is somehow different because they could choose not to sleep with each other. Every loving couple, regardless of how socially accepted throughout the ages, could choose not to sleep together. But, choosing to not love each other is another matter entirely.

Sure, the school probably should have gotten parents’ permission before showing ANY sex scenes to junior high kids. Still, I wonder if the grandparents who are suing would have been as upset if the film had featured a straight couple.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom