N/S Let’s talk about this new California Law to pay College Players! (1 Viewer)

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
So California’s Governor signed a bill to pay College Athletes. So in 2023, players will be allowed to hire agents and receive money for endorsements and player likeness.

I’m split on my feelings. On one hand, most of these athletes are very young and very immature. We already see countless players arrested for Domestic abuse, drugs, DWI’s, etc. What’s going to happen when they start getting large amounts of money and think they’re untouchable. Also, one of the arguments is the players don’t get any money while playing in college. This is true but neither do other students who actually pay to attend these schools, and these athletes are getting a free college education. Let’s be honest, a lot of athletes wouldn’t even get into these big colleges if they had to rely on grades instead of athleticism. I do feel they should get extra money included in the scholarship since they are helping to make the University and NCAA Billions. Also, how will this effect recruiting? Will the Top Schools now have an even greater recruiting advantage because of their visibility making the good/average Schools fall even lower?

On the other hand these guys are putting their bodies on the line every practice and game. So many careers have been cut short or millions of dollars lost due to injuries.

From what I understand... this would only allow for players to "receive money for endorsements and player likeness"...

Which means unless you are a Zion Williamson, Tua Tagovailoa, Kyler Murray, etc... you really aren't making any money.

IMO, this really impacts very few players... really just the top 1% of college athletes that would be able to make money for endorsements and player likeness...

The guy who plays Special Teams Gunner for UCLA won't see a dime.

The issue is.... how this would impact recruiting top prospects, and if laws like this would sway / impact top player decisions from committing to a school (for instance) like USC over Alabama because of this.

Because it’s legal doesn’t mean the NCAA will allow it. There are a lot of things that were legal when I played college baseball but still violated NCAA rules. Not sure the law would affect anything.

The issue is.... how this would impact recruiting top prospects, and if laws like this would sway / impact top player decisions from committing to a school (for instance) like USC over Alabama because of this.

Even with this law, there is NO way a player would make more from it than they would make at ALABAMA! :ROFLMAO:

So California’s Governor signed a bill to pay College Athletes. So in 2023, players will be allowed to hire agents and receive money for endorsements and player likeness.

I’m split on my feelings. On one hand, most of these athletes are very young and very immature. We already see countless players arrested for Domestic abuse, drugs, DWI’s, etc. What’s going to happen when they start getting large amounts of money and think they’re untouchable. Also, one of the arguments is the players don’t get any money while playing in college. This is true but neither do other students who actually pay to attend these schools, and these athletes are getting a free college education. Let’s be honest, a lot of athletes wouldn’t even get into these big colleges if they had to rely on grades instead of athleticism. I do feel they should get extra money included in the scholarship since they are helping to make the University and NCAA Billions. Also, how will this effect recruiting? Will the Top Schools now have an even greater recruiting advantage because of their visibility making the good/average Schools fall even lower?

On the other hand these guys are putting their bodies on the line every practice and game. So many careers have been cut short or millions of dollars lost due to injuries.

The drugs and alcohol are just part of college its naive to think its not oh money is not an issue because as college students you have access to $100 000 in credit without a credit score. I think the DWI, abuse etc.. scandals unfortunatly are just apart of societ and more prevelant in college cuz of youth and ease of access. The reason i say that is i dont think paying players will add to it. If you marketable you should try to get paid, but its not right that good kids can be used to for other people to get paid because of bad apple excuse.

What could anyone possibly find wrong with players getting endorsement deals?

If I'm Baker Mayfield or Tua and I know I'm making Billions for the NCAA, then why can't I get money and free shoes from Nike?
As far as paying players, there are lots of problems there like pay scale and setting up a players association, so on and so on.
But endorsements should absolutely be allowed.

The top players in college football should be allowed to earn money while they have value.

All this misty-eyed crap about college football.....the universities are making millions, the players, who actually MAKE the money, get nothing....The NFL is "greedy", but at least the people who are responsible for the game get a huge chunk of the profits.....

Paying athletes directly, I say no, but if a kid's likeness makes him money, I don't see anything wrong with that and in fact, it's downright un-American and immoral that they can't benefit financially from their own image and likeness.

All this misty-eyed crap about college football.....the universities are making millions, the players, who actually MAKE the money, get nothing....The NFL is "greedy", but at least the people who are responsible for the game get a huge chunk of the profits.....

Paying athletes directly, I say no, but if a kid's likeness makes him money, I don't see anything wrong with that and in fact, it's downright un-American and immoral that they can't benefit financially from their own image and likeness.

Billions....14 Billion to be exact.

It will either be the end of the NCAA, or in the alternative, if Cali schools allow their athletes to make money, they will no longer be NCAA members. If the NCAA has the guts to hold firm, they will simply rule as ineligible any athlete getting paid. Like them or not, those are the NCAA rules.

FWIW, I'm against college athletes getting paid beyond their scholarships and allowances they already get. The rest of us had to pay a lot of money to get a degree.

I have no problem with it. I just hate that this goofy governor from a goofy state had the balls to make a wrong a right.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of college football is the lack of parity. I think this could make that worse. You'll only want to play in large markets. I don't see that getting better anytime soon so it's whatever to me. I think free tuition, etc. is enough compensation for the players but they should be able to market themselves on the side if they want.

It is a bit controversial though. Just like I couldn't make money off something I researched and made with University equipment.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom