Let's talk OL (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Trevor Penning - First week was 2nd highest graded rookie. 2nd week was the highest graded rookie.
He's improving each snap taken šŸ’ŖšŸ¾
Also he will be referred to as P Nasty šŸ˜¤
Hes got momentum , might have to start the kid and build from there.

Cesar Ruiz - By all accounts has improved drastically. In all honesty he was never going to be a bust. He was an all world OL at the college level. You don't get that good by being horrible. He likely had to adjust to the speed and the strength of NFL ball. Once he settles in , he'll return to his blue chip ways of dominance.

Andrus Peat - Haven't heard anything about him in a while. That's a great thing for Peat. He's improved his strength, and his balance tons since being drafted here. He's another blue chip all world OL that I believe just needed time to pan out.

We had an old Drew Brees out there with babies on OL. Yeah they were highly touted and all world but still , the NFL is a drastic jump in technical adjustment and speed. This offensive line has the opportunity to be the NFL's best.

I expect a career year for Jameis being able to sit in a solid pocket and let our wealth at WR takeover games.

And for Alvin Kamara to have a career high in TDs and rushing yards.

This defense is is nuts. If we can put up points to go along with that defense , which 90% of the time hinges on our OL , we're gonna kick some arse !!!

Offensive line play is key to a successful campaign every seasonā€¦ for every team. But sadly there is absolutely no way of knowing how long the group of starters can stay together during the season.

There is always a lot of attrition that occurs in the trenches. Thatā€™s where most of the action is on every play. Yes these guys are mountain-sized men, but there are a lot of big & strong dudes who are banging into them on every play.

Iā€™m not one who subscribes to the ā€˜injury proneā€™ label that is often given to linemen. To me, if you are playing that position, dice are rolling with every snap of the football. Thereā€™s no denying that Peat has been injured a lot. But I just see it as being the nature of the position. Theoretically we could have all of our starters remain active the entire seasonā€¦ or we could lose the whole group to nagging (or season-ending) injuries.

This is why it is key to have some serviceable linemen who can play well in multiple positions on the line. Because history has proven that the Saints (and all other teams) will have to deal with the loss of some of these starters for at least part of the season.

But we can always hope for the best.

The problem with Peat is he can't play a full season.
IMO with the issues we had last season there were quality snaps given to Hurst, Throckmorton, Young and others. So I think depth wise we are in good shape. Of course there is a drop off in talent with the backups. Hurst isnt Terron Armstead and Throckmorton isnt Peat. But given that we were two missed FGs from 10+ wins and making the playoffs. Id say we should be good enough.

The problem with Peat is he can't play a full season.

That's not even the problem with Peat. Injuries happen, he plays hard. The problem with Peat is that for one play a game he's totally somewhere else. I don't know if he loses concentration, forgets the snap count or if it's part of a deal he made with the devil to be great all game except for one play. Every game, Peat has one snap where he's totally beaten, like a free run off the line beaten. You just hope that whenever that play happens, Winston will be ready for it.

I'm not as high on the o-line but hope some of the young guys can progress in the right direction. Right now I'm just worried about their health. Been hearing about more o-line guys being out than makes me comfortable.

Depth is solid with James Hurst, Nick Martin, Landon Young and Calvin Throckmorton
Yep!

And IMO, bringing in Martin was HUGE. Havn him has allowed Ruiz to finally fully focus/practice/play strictly at RG! And itā€™s been ā€œso far so goodā€ as Ruiz has played pretty well. Looong season tho.

Stay tuned

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom