Long halftime show's affect on Saints 2nd Half? (1 Viewer)

saints4eva

We are the Who Dat Nation-we will always persevere
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What impact, if any, did the lengthiness of the halftime show have on the Saints' second half? I thought it was way too long and maybe my memory is fuzzy but I don't recall other Thanksgiving Day games having such a long halftime show.

You know how it is when the adrenaline is pumping and you're going full speed ahead... when you sit down you hit a brick wall and all the energy is sapped out of you. I was wondering if that happened to a degree with the Saints yesterday; especially considering they had such a short week and the travel getting to the game and all.

What do you guys think?

RaDaRkInG

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I hope that was the reason why the Saints fell flat in the second half, other than our final TD drive.

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Typical halftime is 12 minutes according to NFL rules. The NFL grants an extension for this halftime show and gives them another 6 minutes. It is more likely that with a big lead and a short week that the Saints were just flat out tired and took their collective feet off of the gas in the 2nd half.

OP
saints4eva

saints4eva

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I hope that was the reason why the Saints fell flat in the second half, other than our final TD drive.

Granted, the momentum shifted quickly to the Cowboys after that Austin TD, but we just didn't look the same after halftime.

OP
saints4eva

saints4eva

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Typical halftime is 12 minutes according to NFL rules. The NFL grants an extension for this halftime show and gives them another 6 minutes. It is more likely that with a big lead and a short week that the Saints were just flat out tired and took their collective feet off of the gas in the 2nd half.

Thanks, Bleu Raeder. What you say makes perfect sense to me. I still hated the long halftime show, though.

darkhornet

LSU Grad '02
Reaction score

I agree. It's not like our team has no experience with long halftimes, given the Super Bowl was just in February.

CR80

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I think Reggie was out much longer than a long halftime.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Last time we had a long halftime we won the super bowl.

I think it was more of overconfidence, much like last years Tampa Bay game in week 16. The Cowboys adjusted better than we did. We had a few costly mistakes. Bush's PR Fumble killed us, as well as Graham's drops. But, both did make a play or two as well.

Luckily that means there is no crisis. Just a little bit of poor execution, which can be fixed.

wbbigtymer

Whodie I'm a Saints fan
Reaction score
For the record, I thought this halftime show was terrible. I said during it "this halftime show IS the Dallas cowgirls."

MamaRoux

Veteran
Reaction score
The ball just bounced in dallas' way more in the 2nd half as it did for US in the first! dallas fumbled the ball 7 X's!!!! Losing just 2 was nothing short of a Miracle for them!

This was a game we could have easily lost so I'm very THANKFUL that Our First SAINTSGIVING was a great WIN !!!!!!!!!

Halftime made a huge "Sucking Sound" !!!!! Who needs THAT ????? Boring!!!!! And why put the dallas cheerleaders out there?? I mean they look OK but NOT what I need to see during one of OUR games! Hope they're not out there with "The BEp's" for SUPERBOWL when We GEAUX BACK TO DALLAS the first weekend in FEB.!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mongoose

Porkers?
Reaction score
The ball just bounced in dallas' way more in the 2nd half as it did for US in the first! dallas fumbled the ball 7 X's!!!! Losing just 2 was nothing short of a Miracle for them!

This was a game we could have easily lost so I'm very THANKFUL that Our First SAINTSGIVING was a great WIN !!!!!!!!!

Halftime made a huge "Sucking Sound" !!!!! Who needs THAT ????? Boring!!!!! And why put the dallas cheerleaders out there?? I mean they look OK but NOT what I need to see during one of OUR games! Hope they're not out there with "The BEp's" for SUPERBOWL when We GEAUX BACK TO DALLAS the first weekend in FEB.!!!!!!!!!!!

Periods. They want their job back.

Here, look: .

Doesn't that guy look happy? Your quest for vibrancy and excitement is leaving him homeless and starving. Save him. Save the period.

Cincy Saint

VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Halftime was cut from 15 minutes to 12 minutes to shorten the total length of game time (to allow for more commercials) in 1990.

Mar 14, 1990 - The rule changes, reflecting [Paul Tagliabue]'s concern with the lengthening nature of NFL games, sits well with coaches who were concerned about losing time to call plays. .... Halftime has been cut from 15 minutes to 12 (not a rule change, but the commissioner's decision).

jayd265

Fleur de LEE
Reaction score

i dont buy the saints "tired" excuse. didnt dallas play 3 hours earlier than us? now if the saints had to fly to seattle and change a time zone and temperature i'd agree that mattered. but dallas is what an 8 hour drive from nola? thats what? a 1 hr flight maybe? that didnt affect anything. with that said, a W is a W. i been saying that all year. if falcons lose. we are tied for first in the nfc south come sunday....

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Not sure about the effect on the team but it took a lot out of me......long BORING halftime show.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom